Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford to cut wages in UAW deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. A plumber has a skill. A mechanic has a skill. A carpenter has a skill. Somebody that bolts seats into a car or lays down carpet... is unskilled. That's why it classifies as "unskilled labor." Personally I sell appliances at Sears' while I'm finishing up school. I work on commission only, and average out to ~$11.50/hr.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
5. only 3% of the prototypes made have anything to do with actual real world ****, the rest is just to show off skills and new concepts, which at a time like this is a waste of money.

Maybe you should graduate highschool before you get on a forum with adults little boy.

Concepts are used to judge public reaction to styling, etc. They may not produce the whole car, but they take styling cues and add them to production models. Like the grill in the picture.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7998
Thats quite an ignorant statement. I AM NOT COMING TO THE DEFENSE OF EVERY AUTO WORKERS JOB. And I would say there are a few UAW jobs that may be over paid. But there are many that are not.
It's shitty work. Do you want an $8/hr guy putting your car together?
Next time you go to McDonalds imagine that.
What do you do thats so high mighty? If your a Scientist I apologize, If its IT, then LOL.

Do you consider a
Carpenter unskilled?
A Plumber, A Mechanic?
I am a chemist, a pharmaceutical chemist to be specific, and one of my job responsibilites is to ensure that the medication you take actually does it's job and is perfect. Guess what going to school for 4+ years, and going into debt well over $125,000.00 gets you.....

A starting salary of right around $19-$22 / hour.

So lets see, protecting you and making sure the medicine you take is effective and safe, or bolting together a car, doing the same task over and over again, which seems like they are getting overpaid???? It's not like you guys are building the zr1 from start to finish by hand, you're standing in one place doing the same simple tasks over and over. It's assembly line work, and Henry Ford realized that if you could over simplify the tasks, that anyone could do it.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend you, but the only reason you are making that money is because the union has strong-armed management for years.

Quick Reply: Ford to cut wages in UAW deal