Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds test GTR SpecV

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
Nissan has a higher content of sports cars produced than GM. I would even venture to say a higher following as well.

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...msg_id=2079707
You'd better have one hell of a focused definition of "sports cars" or be joking. Because if by "sports cars" you mean "performance cars", then the above comment is the misstatement of the century. It's not even close dude.

I can't believe you are still allowed to spout this absolute ignorance of yours all over this otherwise useful and informative site.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

This was taken from SVtperformance:

Secondly, this is car is significantly faster than the standard GTR in a straight line. The best Edmunds ran was a 118.5 vs a 125 in the SpecV.

Is the ZR1 70k more than a standard C3?
Is the ZR1 50k more than a Z06?
The zr1 has pulled 1.1 g's all you have to do it read motortrend.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Amount that was relevant = 0%
It was relevant in regards to someone posting that "Nissan should stick to making little cars", as if to say that's all they've ever built.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
You'd better have one hell of a focused definition of "sports cars" or be joking. Because if by "sports cars" you mean "performance cars", then the above comment is the misstatement of the century. It's not even close dude.

I can't believe you are still allowed to spout this absolute ignorance of yours all over this otherwise useful and informative site.
The Z(Nissan) is the best selling sports car ever! The Vette is GM primary sports car and has always been.

Camaro=not a sports car
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

The Z(Nissan) is the best selling sports car ever! The Vette is GM primary sports car and has always been.

Camaro=not a sports car
Certain years of SS ls1's were faster than the same year z51 vettes around road courses. Definitely a sports car.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowscott
Certain years of SS ls1's were faster than the same year z51 vettes around road courses. Definitely a sports car.
The SS is not a sports car, it is a muscle car.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say muscle cars haven't been produced in a long time. Muscle cars bring to mind front heavy cars that couldn't handle or stop well. I'd say Mustangs and Camaros are better described as sports coupes or pony cars.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and as far as performance cars, I'm giving GM the nod.

Cobalt SS - fastest sports compact current available. Sentra spec-v is a POS

Camaro SS - Nissan doesn't have a competitor. Backseat + 430hp = hotness.

Corvette - Nissan doesn't have a competitor - GM hits 3 different price points at $100k or less - base C6, Z06 and ZR1. Nissan offers 1 GTR at $81k.

G8/G8 GXP - Nissan doesn't really have a competitor.

CTS-V - Yeah, it's fast.

Solstice/Sky/GXP/Redline - 370z kinda competes, but these cars are closer to Miata competitors than 370 competitors.

GM offers a lot of performance in the < $50k range.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Not to mention the LS4 cars, the Impala SS, MC SS, etc.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok so 5 hp and 14 tq for 30,000 more??

what am i missing??
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Teching In

too much money too much ugly.... I don't like the way it looks and not for 30k more
Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Impressive, thanks for the info, and please don't be deterred from posting more info in the future of other make's and models that can be good competition for lsx cars, because of some of the redneck posts on here from so called "car enthusiasts" that can't see passed their mullets. It's an impressive machine and that's simply the bottom line, a true car enthusiast can see that.

The ONLY place i've ever seen it so overhyped ironically is on this website by the same people that hate the car no matter what it can or will ever accomplish. I believe it set out to be a competitor for the 911 and other supercars and it's doing just that, I don't see how it was overhyped if it accomplished it's goals.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Very impressive numbers. I'm sure the weight loss will make for a significant change around the track. The price tag is pretty damn high but for only making 30 a month I guess its justifiable to people with that kind of dough. I'm curious as to what the real performance version of the GT-R will be since they stated this SpecV isn't the last.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by slowscott
Doesn't matter. A vehicle's performance has little to do with its classification. You can't make a "muscle car," just like a pony car can't be a "sports car." You could make a Silverado run circles around a Ferrari on a race track (theoritically), but that wouldn't make it a "sports car."

Edit: And on the Spec-V; very nice well-developed car, just a bit rich for my blood. And I'd say the 370Z is a significantly lower-priced alternative to the Corvette. Not a good comparison heads up, but for $10+ less it's a great deal.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan has a higher content of sports cars produced than GM. I would even venture to say a higher following as well.

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...msg_id=2079707
A vocal following that doesn't support the Company. Back in the 90's when we were doing development work on the following years SE-R, the company was met with criticism by very vocal enthusiasts when the word went out that the company was thinking of discontinuing the vehicle. The Japanese management gave direction to go forward with the car for the following year due to so many people writing in and saying they would buy the vehicle if Nissan built it. The following year sales dropped even more and the very confused Japanese management finally dropped the 2 door SE-R. This type of scenerio played out with the 300ZX too, with the Management thinking they had the same loyal following as the Chevrolet Corvette, as that vehicles sale continued to plummet. I could go on and on with all of the crazy things that happened there.

Last edited by TT632; 03-30-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Impressive, thanks for the info, and please don't be deterred from posting more info in the future of other make's and models that can be good competition for lsx cars, because of some of the redneck posts on here from so called "car enthusiasts" that can't see passed their mullets. It's an impressive machine and that's simply the bottom line, a true car enthusiast can see that.

The ONLY place i've ever seen it so overhyped ironically is on this website by the same people that hate the car no matter what it can or will ever accomplish. I believe it set out to be a competitor for the 911 and other supercars and it's doing just that, I don't see how it was overhyped if it accomplished it's goals.
Yes, so let's talk about this specific car's goals.

1. To be special, unique.
2. To be significantly faster than the standard GTR
3. Apparently, Nissan feels it can be faster than the ZR1

Well, as of now, it has only accomplished number one... It's too soon to say it has accomplished the other two since we should have independent road course times by an independent driver.

All we have are the improvements, which don't seem that substantial to me when the standard GTR is already so fast... The standard GTR's physics are already pushed to very high limits, an amazing feat for its weight... But how much more can they do? What, can they just keep making the brakes bigger and the technology higher, and the car will continue to improve? I think the car could have used a bit more power to accomplish its goals and/or a more significant weight loss by this point. But, my speculation is just that, and maybe this car accomplishes its goals just fine in spite of the naysayers.

Since we don't know yet, it does SMELL like hype, especially to a non-enthusiast. I admit I am very skeptical about this car being much faster with the improvements they made. Of course it HAS to be faster, but how much... We shall see. Its straightline certainly improved a bit.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Yes, so let's talk about this specific car's goals.

1. To be special, unique.
2. To be significantly faster than the standard GTR
3. Apparently, Nissan feels it can be faster than the ZR1

Well, as of now, it has only accomplished number one... It's too soon to say it has accomplished the other two since we should have independent road course times by an independent driver.

All we have are the improvements, which don't seem that substantial to me when the standard GTR is already so fast... The standard GTR's physics are already pushed to very high limits, an amazing feat for its weight... But how much more can they do? What, can they just keep making the brakes bigger and the technology higher, and the car will continue to improve? I think the car could have used a bit more power to accomplish its goals and/or a more significant weight loss by this point. But, my speculation is just that, and maybe this car accomplishes its goals just fine in spite of the naysayers.

Since we don't know yet, it does SMELL like hype, especially to a non-enthusiast. I admit I am very skeptical about this car being much faster with the improvements they made. Of course it HAS to be faster, but how much... We shall see. Its straightline certainly improved a bit.

I think for the money it's a waste of money when the standard one is so close, but I think it's mainly so expensive because it's a lot more rare. I agree with you that I don't think it's significantly faster than the standard edition but I think it would be fun to see a race between this car vs the zr1, the zr1 is a better bargain imo but the standard version is also a great bargain (and then so is the regular z06 ).

With that said, I just don't see anyone hyping it up beside's this very website. I think import site's where simply excited for a skyline to finally hit the state's, but I bet they prefer the older skyline more than this one. Only on this website are the expectations raised to high hell so the hater's can then dog on the car, like I said no matter what it accomplishes, the people here will raise the bar even higher so they can talk it down.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by TT632
A vocal following that doesn't support the Company. Back in the 90's when we were doing development work on the following years SE-R, the company was met with criticism by very vocal enthusiasts when the word went out that the company was thinking of discontinuing the vehicle. The Japanese management gave direction to go forward with the car for the following year due to so many people writing in and saying they would buy the vehicle if Nissan built it. The following year sales dropped even more and the very confused Japanese management finally dropped the 2 door SE-R. This type of scenerio played out with the 300ZX too, with the Management thinking they had the same loyal following as the Chevrolet Corvette, as that vehicles sale continued to plummet. I could go on and on with all of the crazy things that happened there.
The whole sports car market nearly collapsed in the early-mid 90s. The C5 Corvette was originally slated for 1993, but had to be pushed back to 1997.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...mktid=cj260233
Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

wow 2k for a basic service thats nuts

Quick Reply: Edmunds test GTR SpecV