Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Car & Driver Short Take - 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
When you pay $50k+ for a car, you're not looking for potential. Your looking for performance.
Exactly, I don't wanna spend 50K and then have to drop 5K in it to make it "perform". A '02-'04 ZO6 for half the money would eat one of these.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by unit213
How can you possible know that? No one has even run these things on an actual drag strip yet. That's pure speculation.
It is speculation. So is your comment that this car has "tons of potential". They are both pretty safe predictions however, since the car has a supercharger...it should indeed do well in the aftermarket...and since Ford has only added 40hp, we should be looking at another 10th or two off the 2009 GT500's runs. So yeah, both comments are speculation...but both are pretty safe bets.

If you can't afford one, don't buy one. If you don't like it, don't buy one. It's pretty simple.

It's just a car. Why do you sound so pissed off?
That's just my point...I CAN afford one, and I like the looks and the presence. I'm pissed off because even with all those positives, Ford still fails to deliver the complete package like GM has with the Camaro. Despite the fact that Ford has had far more time, and far more experience with their respective platform, GM managed to toss out an all new design that whoops it in the overall category.

With GM not delivering a supercharged Camaro, this new GT500 could have been my next toy...instead i'll be buying a C6Z or a Camaro SS and a blower.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's the problem!

This car isn't very impressive in terms of straight line performance in stock trim. However, it has tons of potential. I think that's what that car is really all about. A $40K price tag sure would be nice though.
I am glad you came in here. I hate it when people talk **** about 03/04 Cobras and the GT500 being slow. Yet they drive slow *** 300 rwhp cars...
Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 PM
***Repost Police***

It is speculation. So is your comment that this car has "tons of potential". They are both pretty safe predictions however, since the car has a supercharger...it should indeed do well in the aftermarket...and since Ford has only added 40hp, we should be looking at another 10th or two off the 2009 GT500's runs. So yeah, both comments are speculation...but both are pretty safe bets.

That's just my point...I CAN afford one, and I like the looks and the presence. I'm pissed off because even with all those positives, Ford still fails to deliver the complete package like GM has with the Camaro. Despite the fact that Ford has had far more time, and far more experience with their respective platform, GM managed to toss out an all new design that whoops it in the overall category.

With GM not delivering a supercharged Camaro, this new GT500 could have been my next toy...instead i'll be buying a C6Z or a Camaro SS and a blower.
So you don't find it anymore disappointing that a new Camaro SS weighs ~3,900 and runs high 12s/low 13s with 426hp? You also act like the Camaro isn't built on a platform that has been out for several years, and was already used in several cars. So it's not really "an all new design" like you claim it is. It's a new body and a resurrected name.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So you don't find it anymore disappointing that a new Camaro SS weighs ~3,900 and runs high 12s/low 13s with 426hp? You also act like the Camaro isn't built on a platform that has been out for several years, and was already used in several cars. So it's not really "an all new design" like you claim it is. It's a new body and a resurrected name.
1. The fully loaded Camaro SS (SS2) weighs in under 3900lbs. There are plenty of other equipment levels that weigh far less. The GT500 is 3900lbs...you don't have any choices about that.

2. The SS runs high 12s with 426hp in magazines. The 2010 GT500 runs high 12s with 540hp in magazines. So to answer your question exactly, NO I DON'T find it dissapointing at all. Ford has set the bar, and GM has surpassed it. Now just imagine what Camaros with 540hp are going to do.

3. I haven't said the Camaro uses an "all new platform". I have said the Camaro is "all new". Two very different things.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
***Repost Police***

1. The fully loaded Camaro SS (SS2) weighs in under 3900lbs. There are plenty of other equipment levels that weigh far less. The GT500 is 3900lbs...you don't have any choices about that.

2. The SS runs high 12s with 426hp in magazines. The 2010 GT500 runs high 12s with 540hp in magazines. So to answer your question exactly, NO I DON'T find it dissapointing at all. Ford has set the bar, and GM has surpassed it. Now just imagine what Camaros with 540hp are going to do.

3. I haven't said the Camaro uses an "all new platform". I have said the Camaro is "all new". Two very different things.
You might not have come out and said that outright, but you definitely insinuated it.
Despite the fact that Ford has had far more time, and far more experience with their respective platform, GM managed to toss out an all new design that whoops it in the overall category.
And the new GT500 has run mid 12s in other tests, and the previous GT500 hit low-mid 12s. There is no reason to believe that the new GT500 can't do better. Whereas nobody has run anything better than high 12s in the new Camaro SS (regardless of the fact that it surely can). And there is a reason that I put ~3,900lbs. As in, around 3,900lbs. We know you think F-bodies are the cat's meow, but you're acting like the new Camaro is the 2nd coming of Jesus or something.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Restricted User

And the new GT500 has run mid 12s in other tests, and the previous GT500 hit low-mid 12s. There is no reason to believe that the new GT500 can't do better.
The previous GT500 hit low-mid 12s with phenomenal launches. The new one has 40hp more. That'll be good for another 10th or two. So it's still a low-twelves car in the hands of a top driver. The new Camaro should be a mid-twelves car in the hands of a top driver. Give THAT car 540hp, just for comparison's sake, and you're possibly looking at mid-elevens (more likely high elevens). THAT'S where this GT500 SHOULD BE.

We know you think F-bodies are the cat's meow, but you're acting like the new Camaro is the 2nd coming of Jesus or something.
I love this comment here. Bravo.

You defend the Mustang and anything Honda like it's your grandmother's life, and then have the nerve to accuse ME of bias?

Classic.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Even so, Ford thought our 12.9-second quarter-mile was slow by a half-second, but after two test sessions in imperfect conditions—and after letting Ford’s own hot shoe take the wheel—we were unable to better the times.
What's up with that? Even Ford's driver couldn't do better? I like this GT500 better than the previous version; but WTF? Curious to see what numbers real owners will get at the track.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
What's up with that? Even Ford's driver couldn't do better? I like this GT500 better than the previous version; but WTF? Curious to see what numbers real owners will get at the track.
Just because they work for Ford doesn't mean they can drive worth a flip.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
***Repost Police***

The previous GT500 hit low-mid 12s with phenomenal launches. The new one has 40hp more. That'll be good for another 10th or two. So it's still a low-twelves car in the hands of a top driver. The new Camaro should be a mid-twelves car in the hands of a top driver. Give THAT car 540hp, just for comparison's sake, and you're possibly looking at mid-elevens (more likely high elevens). THAT'S where this GT500 SHOULD BE.

I love this comment here. Bravo.

You defend the Mustang and anything Honda like it's your grandmother's life, and then have the nerve to accuse ME of bias?

Classic.
Ricer. And I don't "defend" anything. I contradict stupid.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Restricted User

Ricer. And I don't "defend" anything. I contradict stupid.
You don't contradict anything. At least not successfully. Apparently you don't know the difference between stupid and genius...if you did you'd take care of your own issues before wasting others' time.

Seriously, all you've done on this site is pop into every Mustang and Honda related thread and bash everyone who doesn't worship them.

Calling me ricer just puts the icing on the cake. I own five vehicles currently and not a single one of them is an import. Your car is, however, and you call me ricer. You don't contradict stupidity, you promote it.

I'd put the rolleyes smiley here, but it just doesn't cut it anymore.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Just because they work for Ford doesn't mean they can drive worth a flip.
True, but you would at least think they would have more seat time behind the wheel to wring a better ET.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
True, but you would at least think they would have more seat time behind the wheel to wring a better ET.
These big car mag drivers spend a lot of time behind the wheel you would think but look at some of the **** times they've pulled off.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does Evan Smith still work for MM&FF? I haven't looked through one in a couple years. I'd like to see him do a comparison between the GT500 and Camaro that way nobody can claim driver error. If I'm not mistaken, he got a stock LS1 Camaro into the 12.8 range.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 PM
***Repost Police***

You don't contradict anything. At least not successfully. Apparently you don't know the difference between stupid and genius...if you did you'd take care of your own issues before wasting others' time.

Seriously, all you've done on this site is pop into every Mustang and Honda related thread and bash everyone who doesn't worship them.

Calling me ricer just puts the icing on the cake. I own five vehicles currently and not a single one of them is an import. Your car is, however, and you call me ricer. You don't contradict stupidity, you promote it.

I'd put the rolleyes smiley here, but it just doesn't cut it anymore.
So you're a genius, eh? That's hilarious. And if you haven't noticed, 93.27% of the threads in the Kill Stories section are about Mustangs/Hondas, so I'm sorry if you don't like me posting in them. And a PERSON being a ricer has nothing to do with what car they drive.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamalt1
Does Evan Smith still work for MM&FF? I haven't looked through one in a couple years. I'd like to see him do a comparison between the GT500 and Camaro that way nobody can claim driver error. If I'm not mistaken, he got a stock LS1 Camaro into the 12.8 range.
MM&FF and GMHTP mag's have done this before, back a few years ago. I say let Evan lay down some numbers in the best conditions, then an average Joe who has some experience with each car. This will give best case examples as well as average times.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I am glad you came in here. I hate it when people talk **** about 03/04 Cobras and the GT500 being slow. Yet they drive slow *** 300 rwhp cars...
Slow *** 300 rwhp cars with a ton of potential.

See what I did there?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
Exactly, I don't wanna spend 50K and then have to drop 5K in it to make it "perform". A '02-'04 ZO6 for half the money would eat one of these.
Actually, you are at 550whp for 1700 in the older ones, and it will probably be at that power level for a granbd or som on the new car, since they already have a nice intake on them.

Not to mention you can be at 800rwhp for 7k or so.
I don;t look at what nay car does stock when making a purchase decision. I look at what I can mae it dow within a budget. What fun is driving around a stock car?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with all of this. No one here is bashing this car, just expressing disappointment. There is no doubt this car is capable of plenty, it should just have it from the factory for this kind of money, and it doesn't.

I really hope that GM releases the Z28 model. Assuming it comes out with the 550 hp LSA (as speculated), I'd really like to see someone defend the GT500 against it.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Short Take - 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500