Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Car & Driver Short Take - 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
Is your car stock? None of mine have ever stayed stock. That is just the way I am. Therefore, performance that can be extracted by bolt ons is very important to me as a buyer, as well as the engine's strength. I have been sayin for years that I would end up with a GT500, or the new Z28 (which looks doubful now). The one I would choose would be the one with the stronger shortblock. I don't have brand loyalty like some of the blind people aroung here. I have a power/forced induction loyalty.

Lot's of guys do compare the GT500 to the terms, and the Shelby is better.
You are missing the point here. With "fast" being subjective here, 540 hp is not as fast in the GT500 as it would be in a 4th Gen or an '03-'04 Cobra (I'll leave the Vettes out, since it is "not fair").

The car is heavy.
The performance numbers are low considering the power it boasts and the price tag it carries.
That is the point.

The "potential" of this car, or any car, should not be debated.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
.96 on the skidpad = can't turn?
How many G forces a car can generate in a 200ft circle has little to no indication of its handling.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE OVAL TURBO
I have read what you have said and i evaluated and looked at other vehicles at this cars weight. 540 hp /510 ft-lb tq doesn't always equate 11 second quartermile times. The price of entry into this horsepower level is expensive and i'm sure Mr. Shelby isn't letting Ford use his name without some cost. The only car i can find in my current Road&Track mag that comes close to this level of power is of course the Corvette Z06 with 505hp/470 lb-ft and thats at price as tested $79,595 dollars. The 11.7@123.7 is better than the GT500 and the 3190-lb curb weight is also.
So then let me ask you this...since we've seen what 500hp and now 540hp equates to in this car, would you say that further horsepower increases would be a positive thing for this car?

I only ask because it's part of my point. Since this is a supercharged car and has "tons of potential" as Unit put it, and since 540hp is really going to do very little over the 500hp that didn't do too much for the car to begin with, is this maybe the point where Ford should start to work on things like weight reduction, handling, and fuel mileage and just stick with the 500hp rating?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Z Fury
You are missing the point here. With "fast" being subjective here, 540 hp is not as fast in the GT500 as it would be in a 4th Gen or an '03-'04 Cobra (I'll leave the Vettes out, since it is "not fair").

The car is heavy.
The performance numbers are low considering the power it boasts and the price tag it carries.
That is the point.

You will always get the "but a pulley change and an exhaust will..." excuses from the same guys on this forum. They just don't get the factory performance argument because they can't afford these kinds of cars new...they are always buying them used and modded. It's all they know.

I mean I love my car some of the time...it's great for surprising unsuspecting Vettes and Cobras on the highway, and for showing off at cruises and car shows...but i'm getting tired of the "modded out" feel of the car. It's insanely loud...which gets old, it rides rough, thanks to it's aggressive suspension, and no matter how fast it is, how great it handles, and how nice the custom interior is...it's still a '99. I'm ready for something new...this time i'm going for a car that doesn't need to be modded out to really perform...that's why I won't be going after the GT500. I can buy a C6Z and throw some CCW's on it and maybe a cool hood or something and be done with it. Or I could go with a loaded Camaro SS and a Magna Charger...and be done with it. Then I will have a ~540hp supercharged Camaro that should be good for at least a second better in the quarter than the GT500.

That's what i'm getting at here.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Maybe first you need to figure out what kind of car you actually want, because a Corvette should never be compared to a Mustang/Camaro.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Maybe first you need to figure out what kind of car you actually want, because a Corvette should never be compared to a Mustang/Camaro.
Does that mean I can't be torn between which one I want?

Maybe I want the world-beater supercar...or maybe I want the badass what-the-****-you-lookin-at attitude of the musclecar.

Somedays I want one, somedays I want the other. I'm not about to buy both, the wife would kick me out of my own house...and niether of those cars are big enough for me to live in.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 PM
***Repost Police***

And you're torn between the two for intangible reasons at times, right? That's what causes people to like certain cars over others. Most of the people that buy GT500s love Mustangs, and are willing to pay $50k for one. It doesn't matter to them how much better the C6 is. Recognize that, and move on.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And you're torn between the two for intangible reasons at times, right? That's what causes people to like certain cars over others. Most of the people that buy GT500s love Mustangs, and are willing to pay $50k for one. It doesn't matter to them how much better the C6 is. Recognize that, and move on.
Dude i'm not even going to waste my time on you if you are going to keep doing this. All you do is pick out the small details of my points that you actually have something intelligent to respond with, and ignore the rest because you have nothing to stand on.

IF you would actually READ my ENTIRE explanation, you wouldn't have to make posts like the ones above, because you'd see that we are not actually in disagreement in the areas you have cherry-picked.

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
It's also ridiculous that this thing has 540hp and can't break into 11's stock. That's insane. This is one of the many problems that make American muscle cars look so wasteful. It's one thing if they are only tops in a straight line...I can deal with that because muscle cars are about more than just performance...there's an aura to them also. But they have got to do better with the power they have in this car.
That's just my point...I CAN afford one, and I like the looks and the presence. I'm pissed off because even with all those positives, Ford still fails to deliver the complete package like GM has with the Camaro. Despite the fact that Ford has had far more time, and far more experience with their respective platform, GM managed to toss out an all new design that whoops it in the overall category.
As you can see by my previous posts, I have not, and would never, dispute what you have posted above. I like the GT500 for the intangible reasons you speak of, but for me, those reasons are not enough to overcome the car's shortcomings.

If you are going to keep responding to my points this way, i'd prefer that you just overlook my posts and move onto others.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Saw a Blue GT500KR a couple weeks ago-----sounded very loud when he took off.....guy was about 75.....cool.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will always get the "but a pulley change and an exhaust will..." excuses from the same guys on this forum. They just don't get the factory performance argument because they can't afford these kinds of cars new...they are always buying them used and modded. It's all they know..
That is making a rediculous assumption. I refuse to buy a modded car. 90% of the time you are buying someone else problem child that they are tired of messing with.
You get that arguemnt becuase I am sure everyone on here has at least a couple grand tied up in aftermarket upgrades. It is what "we" do. I think it's foolish for anyone who anticipates modding a car to not take performance per $ of upgrades into account when they buy something. Using ulitmate potential is pointless becuase you can make anything fast with limitless funds.

I mean I love my car some of the time...it's great for surprising unsuspecting Vettes and Cobras on the highway, and for showing off at cruises and car shows...but i'm getting tired of the "modded out" feel of the car. It's insanely loud...which gets old, it rides rough, thanks to it's aggressive suspension, and no matter how fast it is, how great it handles, and how nice the custom interior is...it's still a '99. I'm ready for something new...this time i'm going for a car that doesn't need to be modded out to really perform...that's why I won't be going after the GT500. I can buy a C6Z and throw some CCW's on it and maybe a cool hood or something and be done with it. Or I could go with a loaded Camaro SS and a Magna Charger...and be done with it. Then I will have a ~540hp supercharged Camaro that should be good for at least a second better in the quarter than the GT500.

That's what i'm getting at here.
If you don't care about what a car will do modded, that is fine. I guess most of us "grow up" at some point. If I didn't car about speed, I would get an Audi S5 though. That way the guys that do mod their cars won't be constantly trying to mess with me and showing me tail lights. That will always get to me I bet.
For the time being, it will be a Hellion powered GT500 for me, although a CTS-v might be a nice compramise
Old 04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car is heavy.
That is the point.

...and 540hp in a fox body would be even faster. Cars get heavier as time goes on. That is just the way it goes. I would think the list is very short of cars that get a power increase and a weight decrese as the model progresses, especially on completley redisgned chassis.

Stock for stock teh Shelby is faster, and mod for mod they are faster. The only guys who care about weight are the guys with the older version trying to justify their own car. It is stupid.
The new Camaro is exactly the same way. Faster stock, faster with the same mods. Just becuase cars get heavier does not mean they are not better.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Unit why do you bother with these kids. All they have is a beat down 98 LS1 with free mods. To them thats the fastest thing ever. They will never get it...
So why do you keep posting like you're gods ******* gift to humanity? You sit here and call everyone "kids", well guess what grandpa, move on with the times. You're a friggin joke, you ask why he bothers, but why do you? I'm pretty sure i'm not the only person tired of your pointless posts and trying to start crap. I guess we're all kids who are poor and cannot afford better cars right? Because we all drive stock "300rwhp" cars who obviously cant know anything or have opinions about other cars right? Grow the **** up, get a mother ******* life, and get off your high horse you arrogant *****. You're no better than the bum down the street laying on the ******* heater vent from the subway.

On to other things, the new GT500 looks nice. I like the new front end, and like said it has potential. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Blackbird24, let me ask you a question. Since you are disappointed with a $50k car producing 540hp and mid 12 second quarter miles then what do you think about the Lamborghini Gallardo? Its AWD, weighs almost 4,000lbs, has 500HP, and can barely best the GT500's 1/4 mile times at 4 times the cost.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
...and 540hp in a fox body would be even faster. Cars get heavier as time goes on. That is just the way it goes. I would think the list is very short of cars that get a power increase and a weight decrese as the model progresses, especially on completley redisgned chassis.

Stock for stock teh Shelby is faster, and mod for mod they are faster. The only guys who care about weight are the guys with the older version trying to justify their own car. It is stupid.
The new Camaro is exactly the same way. Faster stock, faster with the same mods. Just becuase cars get heavier does not mean they are not better.
So you're saying car will get heavier, making 500+ hp necessary for the car to get out of its own way, and this is just the way it is going to be? Aren't we pushing for more fuel efficient vehicles? (And by we, I mean car manufacturers.) What better weigh than to shed weight? Wasn't this the #1 problem with the previous GT500? So they address it by adding 40hp and regearing the car? It just seems half-assed. But if you have a hard on for this, by all means go get one.

I'll never say this car sucks. It is a very respectable vehicle. The numbers just don't seem to be matching up. I'd say the same thing about the Z28 if it comes out with a 550 hp LSA and throws down a high-12 second quarter mile run.

As far as this gem:
I would think the list is very short of cars that get a power increase and a weight decrese as the model progresses, especially on completley redisgned chassis.
I could spend the rest of my night proving this inaccurate, but you'd just deflect it. There were plenty that got power increases and had weight loss from the 90's, and that's just off the top of my head. I don't see DOT's safety standards increasing that much in the past 5-6 years.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Blackbird24, let me ask you a question. Since you are disappointed with a $50k car producing 540hp and mid 12 second quarter miles then what do you think about the Lamborghini Gallardo? Its AWD, weighs almost 4,000lbs, has 500HP, and can barely best the GT500's 1/4 mile times at 4 times the cost.
I'd use the Mustang answer here and say "apples and oranges."
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by x3d187
So why do you keep posting like you're gods ******* gift to humanity? You sit here and call everyone "kids", well guess what grandpa, move on with the times. You're a friggin joke, you ask why he bothers, but why do you? I'm pretty sure i'm not the only person tired of your pointless posts and trying to start crap. I guess we're all kids who are poor and cannot afford better cars right? Because we all drive stock "300rwhp" cars who obviously cant know anything or have opinions about other cars right? Grow the **** up, get a mother ******* life, and get off your high horse you arrogant *****. You're no better than the bum down the street laying on the ******* heater vent from the subway.

On to other things, the new GT500 looks nice. I like the new front end, and like said it has potential. Just my 2 cents.
Not bad for a newbee with 17 posts.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by x3d187

One piece of advice to you. Chill out and grow some thicker skin or this place will really get to you if his comment did.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks more like a catfish than the 4th gen camaro's do lol
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
One piece of advice to you. Chill out and grow some thicker skin or this place will really get to you if his comment did.
Oh I'm good, I dont typically say anything and just read but I felt like saying something last night

Last edited by x3d187; 04-15-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you're saying car will get heavier, making 500+ hp necessary for the car to get out of its own way, and this is just the way it is going to be? Aren't we pushing for more fuel efficient vehicles? (And by we, I mean car manufacturers.) What better weigh than to shed weight? Wasn't this the #1 problem with the previous GT500? So they address it by adding 40hp and regearing the car? It just seems half-assed. But if you have a hard on for this, by all means go get one.
at this point its more expensive to make the car lighter and maintain creature comforts. its easier and cheaper to add a CAI and a tune.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Short Take - 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500