Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Car & Driver Short Take - 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Its not a T56 anymore unit....TR-6060.
I'm not impressed by the performance for the price, but the potential is astounding.
Anything can look good on paper...

It's real world performance that matters. 540 horsepower means nothing if the car is incapable of assassinating the quarter mile.

The car looks fantastic, but come on my bosses car-trailer truck makes around 540hp (turbo diesel) and runs I'm guessing in the high 14's, he spent around 50K+ but that truck hauls cars like you wouldn't believe. The Shelby GT500 is supposed to haul ***, and it doesn't...
Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by phirepower

It's real world performance that matters. 540 horsepower means nothing if the car is incapable of assassinating the quarter mile.

The car looks fantastic, but come on my bosses car-trailer truck makes around 540hp (turbo diesel) and runs I'm guessing in the high 14's, he spent around 50K+ but that truck hauls cars like you wouldn't believe. The Shelby GT500 is supposed to haul ***, and it doesn't...
Well there you go...I knew there had to be more people out there who get what I was talking about. Thank you.

I still think the car is cool as hell. I just think, to put it in journalist talk, that it missed it's target. It's funny how things got so blown out of proportion over a simple opinion such as that.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
So what will all of you do when GM is gone? More complaining I suppose.
You guys must bitch about fbodies all day, every day. Lord knows they are full of short-comings.
I guess it's irrelevant because they are extremely cheap, in price tag and in quality. MSRP must
be all that matters since there is an awful lot of crying about it.
No disrespect but we aren't exactly all multimillionaires, like you clearly are.
The beauty of what I thought Ls1tech was designed to be, was a place to showcase and display the evolution of the small block chevy engine and it's laden demographic, and allow members to learn from others mistakes, see what others have done, get feedback and provide some of their own.

The website was free, meaning cost effective to anyone monetarily capable of affording the internet and able to do basic website navigation. We all come from different backgrounds, financially, heritage, beliefs, and values. I find your "yuppy" responses belittling those who might not be able to afford a 50k car but practice daily in your website and have become a community around it, very off-putting. The average income in America is 42K/ yr, and unemployment is nearly at an all-time high.

Hot Rodding was never intended to be who has the most money, but who is the best and brightest spender, able to stretch their budget as far as they can and make the best out of what they have. I have been a member on here for a few years now and enjoyed nearly every minute of it. I have even done some site recruiting, for me and I'm sure many others Ls1tech has been the premier social networking tool for the late model GM enthusiast. It doesn't bother me so much that you have a cobra in your signature, and never seem to be a positive speaker on the frontier of GM cars. Even though I do from time to time wonder how it is not considered a "Conflict of interest".

As a college student, Lt1 owner, unpaid intern, and loyalist to the GM I am upset by how condescending this comment above is. Not that some of the other members posts aren't just as offensive.

The spirit of competition will always lead to greater engineering strides and even greater rivalries and debates. That said this is a forum, where everyone bench races, talks ****, and argues... it's beautiful, however this argument is built upon the viscous grounds of absolute hearsay bullshit by a multitude under-qualified theorists.

There is only one proper way to settle this, drag strip side by side run. Stock Shelby GT500 vs Stock Camaro 1SS. Then and only then can any of this hold any water.

Either way, I will remain an avid Ls1tech member, but will force myself to bypass my absolute GM belief system, reality, and god. Hahaha what a stupid stupid thread.

P.S. With GM gone won't that mean Ls1tech won't be too far behind??.... To Careerbuilder.com we go one endless line of pride swallowers

Last edited by phirepower; 04-20-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Restricted User

No disrespect but we aren't exactly all multimillionaires, like you clearly are.
He's not a millionare. He just plays one on the internet. He is of the belief that the power your car makes equates to your rank in life. Nevermind that his car is just as much a POS as any other 4th gen LT1/LS1 that you find on this site...it's better and he's better than everyone else because of a 2.2l KB and a wet kit. He used to be a great member with good points, who knew the concept of respect. Now he just feels that he's too good to be questioned, and instantly resorts to personal insults when he realizes that he's losing the argument.

Now Sarge on the other hand...he may actually be a millionare.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

WHAT!!????
Stop with all this logical and open minded thinking, I mean come on the GT500 can make so much more power with just some bolt-on's, who cares if it doesn't make it any faster, you will still win all the internet and locker room debates!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

So whats wrong about a 48k car that can run low 12s and handle good and engine can handle 800rwhp?

I mean what other car is close or beats the gt500 other than the vette?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM
***Repost Police***

None. The same people that talk about how they don't worry about potential when buying a car are the same ones with either considerable work done to their own cars, or are talking about supercharging a new Camaro.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
You might be close. Please take a relook and try again.
I read it all, after page 4 it gets pretty redundant and becomes the age old ford vs.chevy (ok pontiac in this case) debate. Pretty boring all said. Anybody in here want to actually talk about the GT500 and forget about the pissing contest?

Last edited by kain01; 04-20-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by El es one
So whats wrong about a 48k car that can run low 12s and handle good and engine can handle 800rwhp?

I mean what other car is close or beats the gt500 other than the vette?

The Camaro SS, Challenger SRT8, and 03/04 Cobra. All are close in performance to the GT500 for at least $10k less. All have at least 100hp less also.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
He's not a millionare. He just plays one on the internet. He is of the belief that the power your car makes equates to your rank in life. Nevermind that his car is just as much a POS as any other 4th gen LT1/LS1 that you find on this site...it's better and he's better than everyone else because of a 2.2l KB and a wet kit. He used to be a great member with good points, who knew the concept of respect. Now he just feels that he's too good to be questioned, and instantly resorts to personal insults when he realizes that he's losing the argument.

Now Sarge on the other hand...he may actually be a millionare.
I have to agree, lately I have lost most of my respect for Unit. Sorry to say it, but some of his posts/points/reactions are not what a admin should be doing....
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
I have to agree, lately I have lost most of my respect for Unit. Sorry to say it, but some of his posts/points/reactions are not what a admin should be doing....
Again, unit is no longer an administrator. Whoever removed his rights didn't change his status.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
***Repost Police***

The Camaro SS, Challenger SRT8, and 03/04 Cobra. All are close in performance to the GT500 for at least $10k less. All have at least 100hp less also.
The GT500 is not the best car for everyone, but it's the perfect car for some.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Well the 03/04 cobras are used and the Gt500 is way faster....the Challenger Srt8 is not really close in 1/4.I guess the closest is the Camaro SS I can see mid 12.6 1/4 mile at best other than that nothing is really close to being a good deal,well only the vette is.

The GT500 really seems like a good deal and potential always matters.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Restricted User

Well the 03/04 cobras are used and the Gt500 is way faster
Huh?! Those Cobras ran 12.8's and 12.9's in magazies just like the new GT500 did. They ran mid twelves with good drivers just like the GT500 will. The fact that these are now 5-6 year old cars just drives my point home even better.

....the Challenger Srt8 is not really close in 1/4.
Wow. SRT8's have run 13.0's and 13.1's in the hands of crappy magazine drivers. That's pretty damn close if you ask me.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Huh?! Those Cobras ran 12.8's and 12.9's in magazies just like the new GT500 did. They ran mid twelves with good drivers just like the GT500 will. The fact that these are now 5-6 year old cars just drives my point home even better.

Wow. SRT8's have run 13.0's and 13.1's in the hands of crappy magazine drivers. That's pretty damn close if you ask me.
This 540hp GT500 is mid 12s normal,low 12s with a badass driver.

I guess by your logic the LS3 corvette is a bad deal because the c5z06 is just as good?

The Srt8 is a high 12 second car and I can see it being mid 12's car with a badass driver.

I still don't see any other car the performs close to the gt500 for the money other than the vette.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

I guess by your logic the LS3 corvette is a bad deal because the c5z06 is just as good?

The Srt8 is a high 12 second car and I can see it being mid 12's car with a badass driver.

I still don't see any other car the performs close to the gt500 for the money other than the vette.

Again speculation! what constitutes a good driver? just because motor trend drivers aren't on par with our expectations or exaggerated abilities does not determine that the car is capable of greater feats.

I would go so far as to say that the car reviewing magazine drivers accurately represent what we can expect to experience in owning a car. Not all of us are the Mario Andretti's we so shamelessly claim ourselves to be online.

Having an average or near average driver will give the public a feel for what the car can do in a real world environment. Even the fast test results do not show what the car can do on the street, as there are hundreds of thousands xxxxxx of variables that can positively and adversely effect the cars performance. Since none of us drive consistently on road as flat and well prepped as a drag strip why should we assume that some freak ford racing driver, who can get that car into sub-mid 12's translates to our potential experience with that or any vehicle?

Someone close this F*&^cking thread please!!! It is just like the other million threads on this site where someone says mustang and tensions fly.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Restricted User

Just as Phirepower said...you have no evidence to support this. WHAT WE KNOW NOW...WHAT IS FACT...is that the new GT500 ran a 12.9 in the hands of a magazine driver. To be fair I compared the magazine times of the cars I put up against it. Those cars have and will run better times also...but comparing speculative times is what ricers do.

What the car will run in the future is pure speculation. I could speculate that the Camaro SS will run low 12's. You could argue i'm crazy, but that's about the extent of what you can do to counter it. We don't know what it will run with great drivers and perfect conditions. We'll have to wait to find out.

That's not my logic. The C5Z06 carries only 30hp less...not the MORE THAN 100hp difference that the other cars I used in my comparison have.

Here's a good one...the SRT8 ran 13.0 in magazine tests. The GT500 ran ONE TENTH faster. Yet you claim that the GT500 will run low twelves in the hands of a perfect driver, and the SRT8 will only run mid-twelves?

Do you have any proof or even evidence to support this?

See this...why do I even bother to respond to you? I gave you three examples of exactly what you asked for, you were unable to show proof against them. Now you conveniently forget about them and make this gem of a claim.

All this, and someone else in this thread had the nerve to call me a ricer!

Spectacular.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a good one...the SRT8 ran 13.0 in magazine tests. The GT500 ran ONE TENTH faster. Yet you claim that the GT500 will run low twelves in the hands of a perfect driver, and the SRT8 will only run mid-twelves?

Do you have any proof or even evidence to support this?

Final thoughts/comments......
Look at the trap speed of the two cars. The SRT will trap a max of 109-110 while the GT500 has trapped as high as 115. The 115 is indicative of a low 12 second 1/4 mile time.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Short Take - 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500