Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GTR Breaks Ring Record

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.gtr.co.uk/news.html

The car used was a standard European spec car running standard tyres. The new time was achieved at the end of a long day of testing and the start was delayed by an accident. As well as Nissan present representatives of other car manufacturers were also there to witness the time and also the specification of the car used. Nobody from one of the German based manufacturers was available for comment!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kain01
The third party test has been done. Neither the Porsche GT2 or the Nissan GT-R get the lap times the manufacturer's suggest. I bet if they tested the ZR1 it wouldn't get the time Chevrolet got either. But still I believe this third party test over a "manufacturer's test".

http://magazines.drivers-republic.co...c/thetruth030/
Did you actually read the article? The gt2 was faster in conditions that favored the nissan. The test driver said he believed that the gt2 could go even faster than its claimed time (with better driver/conditions) but that he was skeptical of the gtr's time.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can yall give credit where credit is due?

ok its not the FASTEST car thats ever gone around the track but its a **** of a lot faster than most people on here ESPECIALLY on a track like that.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

We gave credit the first time around, the fact this car is running around the ring every dam week just basically makes it that boring......who cares anymore? They basically spend all there time and money with that car at the ring...and the ring only.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Tainted
can yall give credit where credit is due?

ok its not the FASTEST car thats ever gone around the track but its a **** of a lot faster than most people on here ESPECIALLY on a track like that.
The point here is that no one outside of Nissan and their fanboys care anymore. The car has had it's time in the spotlight...now it needs to bow out and let other, newer cars in. That's how it works...a car comes out, generates buzz...then fades into the massive crowd of other cars already available...then the next big thing takes the spotlight. The GT-R had it's run like a year ago...then the ZR1 took the spotlight...then the Viper ACR. Then we had some buzz about the underwhelming GT-R SpecV...now it's time to move onto something else...not go back to the GT-R AGAIN!

Will we ever be free of the Sheetmetal Shi-Tzu?!??!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I like how this specific article neglects the fact the GTR was also running on wheels from the Spec V.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Actually I think the ZR1 was there for about 2 or 3 weeks. The viper was there for 3 days but they didn't have 3 days worth of track time. That's what amazes me so much about the ACR. The cars potential is through the roof, the gearing is what handicapped it.
-Joel
lol, the ACR spending about an entire minute total hitting the rev limiter in that lap, and still smoking everything!

I mixed up the ZR1 and the ACR and their time of testing.

Still, two or three weeks compared to several trips and MORE like Nissan is doing... Can't they just give up already? Nissan is just wasting needless money like Blackbird said... They can just continue to perform small research or tests back in their home tracks, which they have a lot of.

It's real mettle will still be gauged by the independent tests, not their private tests...

To be fair against our own ZR1 now, it hasn't been independently tested at all yet IIRC, right? But the ACR has... And it BLOWS the GTR away on the same tracks they were both tested... Not even close.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i didnt see this mentioned so i thought id throw this in there

the driver of the zr1 was not a race car driver. he was on of the engineers who helped build it. the same as with the CTS-V times.

the ZR1 also set an on official time of 7.22.something

the gtr and acr viper wer both being driven by a professional driver.

gtr driver- formula 1
acr driver- zakspeed (sp?) zakspeed races only vipers
Old 04-17-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ElkySS
i didnt see this mentioned so i thought id throw this in there

the driver of the zr1 was not a race car driver. he was on of the engineers who helped build it. the same as with the CTS-V times.

the ZR1 also set an on official time of 7.22.something

the gtr and acr viper wer both being driven by a professional driver.

gtr driver- formula 1
acr driver- zakspeed (sp?) zakspeed races only vipers
now we are beating a dead horse again... The driver of the ZR1 isn't just some joe smoe engineer, the guy is a driver and from watching the video he does know what he is doing. Is it capable of going faster? sure, but so is the ACR

Old 04-17-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what is more sad - that Nissan is hell-bent on beating a car that they can't beat, or that we continue to talk about it.

The GT-R is a very stout car, but not a ZR1 killer. That doesn't make it slow though. The sooner Nissan accepts this, the better the chance of saving the car's image.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

While it is easy to say Jim Mero is an engineer we must through that concept out the window. The amount of time he spent in the ZR1 around the ring makes him not your average joe driver. John Heinricy(sp) drove the CTSV but he has a history of auto racing. I believe he was also one of the factory drivers for the C5R when they hit ALMS. The ZR1 did run a faster time with Jan I believe as driver, but I believe there wasn't proof like Jims run. Either I'm still sticking to it's original time as BS. It wasn't untill the time that VSpec rumors were running wild that the gtr accomplished it's high 7:20s run. I know the fanbous response is going to be that Jans Z06 at the time it ran the ring was though to be the Blue Devil. Well the proof is in the time, the Zr1 is about 20+ seconds faster. Either way the hype for this car is in the toilet. Let me guess nissan is going to do another press release when they shave .001 seconds off with tire pressure change?
-Joel

**I wonder if the Japanese gov. would consider giving them a bailout, even though they are spendings tons of money for 1 second.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

While it is easy to say Jim Mero is an engineer we must through that concept out the window. The amount of time he spent in the ZR1 around the ring makes him not your average joe driver. John Heinricy(sp) drove the CTSV but he has a history of auto racing. I believe he was also one of the factory drivers for the C5R when they hit ALMS. The ZR1 did run a faster time with Jan I believe as driver, but I believe there wasn't proof like Jims run. Either I'm still sticking to it's original time as BS. It wasn't untill the time that VSpec rumors were running wild that the gtr accomplished it's high 7:20s run. I know the fanbous response is going to be that Jans Z06 at the time it ran the ring was though to be the Blue Devil. Well the proof is in the time, the Zr1 is about 20+ seconds faster. Either way the hype for this car is in the toilet. Let me guess nissan is going to do another press release when they shave .001 seconds off with tire pressure change?
-Joel

**I wonder if the Japanese gov. would consider giving them a bailout, even though they are spendings tons of money for 1 second.
Actually, we're still discussing the regular GTR and not the VSpec. The VSpec will be in the low 7:2x when it's all said and done.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowscott
Did you actually read the article? The gt2 was faster in conditions that favored the nissan. The test driver said he believed that the gt2 could go even faster than its claimed time (with better driver/conditions) but that he was skeptical of the gtr's time.
Did you read my post? I said neither car got what their prospective manufacturer's claimed (at least implied it I knew what I meant), and yes I did read the article. Basically they said they could believe Porsche's factory times, but that the GT-R's time probably ran on non-stock tires, without coming out and stating that.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 25psi
Actually, we're still discussing the regular GTR and not the VSpec. The VSpec will be in the low 7:2x when it's all said and done.
"With LRN2Speculate 2.0, I am now able to make nearly any prediction without proof with great success!" -Customer testimony
Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

If all the VSpec can pull off is a low 7:20 then nissan fails miserably. With it's less weight and more power it shouldn't be anywhere near the standard gtr. I will laugh hard if the vspec runs similar times to the standard model. That would be a knife in the heart of nissan, and proof their times are bogus.
-Joel
Old 04-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Restricted User

If all the VSpec can pull off is a low 7:20 then nissan fails miserably. With it's less weight and more power it shouldn't be anywhere near the standard gtr. I will laugh hard if the vspec runs similar times to the standard model. That would be a knife in the heart of nissan, and proof their times are bogus.
-Joel
I wouldn't be surprised if the Vspec runs THE SAME times as the standard GT-R. There just isn't much there to warrant high expectations. It could shave another 2 seconds off with extensive testing, but that's about all that should be expected.

Actually, i'll be kinda surprised if Nissan actually runs the Vspec at the Ring. They have to realize there isn't alot of potential for news in their favor.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I take nissan's 'ring' times with a grain of salt
Old 04-18-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Another one of these? I don't think so.

Quick Reply: GTR Breaks Ring Record