Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry guys... this is my fault

1st new car: 2000 Pontiac Trans Am ... then they stop making them
2nd new car: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix ... then they stop making them

and now Pontiac is gone ... maybe I shouldn't buy a corvette lol
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares what badage they are as long as there are a few fun cars in the line up. They could be all call Deawoo for all I care as long as there is something that suits my needs.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

"I'd be really pissed if they kept the G8 and renamed it a Chevelle. I bought the G8 as an alternative to buying an old Chevelle, because they didn't offer a new one and I wanted to drive it every day. And they can't even use the Malibu name because they bastardized it when they brought it back in the 90's."

Why care?

The new Impy is too good a seller to scrape.

W
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Rumor. Notice that one of the first words in the first sentence is "likely." I really think this is just another rumor generated by people who "report the news." How many times have we heard Pontiac is going under...I mean really...
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/auto...ion=2009042414

That was already a step down for Pontiac which in 2008 was the third-best selling brand behind Chevrolet and GMC. That year the brand sold more than Cadillac and twice as many vehicles as Buick. Cadillac is a high-profile - and high profit - luxury brand while Buick is a hugely popular brand in China and is seen as resurgent in the United States.
I've been a Pontiac guy for a long time. I've always tried to support American car companies whether it's GM, Ford, or even Chrysler. But I've got to be honest...GM is turning into Toyota, now if thats good or bad I don't know. From a performance stand point, its bad, for a survival standpoint, it may be good. I mean, look at Toyota's line-up. All rather boring sedans, the only coupe they have (thats a toyota) is the Solara which is a snore, the Scion brand has already out-priced itself past many of the "young crowd" that they aim for.

Now that GM is supposedly going to kill off Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, and Hummer...what does that leave? Oh thats right...Chevy (trucks and sedans, save the Camaro and Vette), Buick, (sedans), Cadillac (sedans), and GMC (trucks).

I'm guessing that it'll only be a matter of time before even that may get limited depending on whether or not GM goes bankrupt or not.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
***Repost Police***

The Solstice is a decent enough car, but it's the definition of a niche car; among other things, it's trunk makes mine look big. And the Sky looks better, making the Solstice redundant. The G8 is the only car they have that deserves to stick around, so I hope they axe the current FWD Impala and bring over the "Caprice" as the new version.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duff man
Kill Pontiac, but keep buick and GMC? That is retarded. With bullshit like this, it won't be long til GM is dead. At least to me.
Buick and GMC will be discontinued too.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackFormula01
Rumor. Notice that one of the first words in the first sentence is "likely." I really think this is just another rumor generated by people who "report the news." How many times have we heard Pontiac is going under...I mean really...
It's being reported on Fox News as confirmed today.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Also, the Solstice and G8 both do not turn a profit. They are toy cars that Lutz championed back when GM listened to him and did everything he said was a good idea. Neither car was a good idea.

The Solstice is very expensive to make and doesn't sell. Even when it sold well initially it did not make money and still doesn't. It's disappearing.

The G8 is also very expensive to sell and doesn't turn a profit. It's best month was last month and it didn't even sell 4,000 units. Which is literally nothing. This car is also going away, it will not be going to Chevrolet and GM cannot afford profit-free toy cars anymore. It's also yet another example of GM's branding morass, what is a G8? Why is this car carrying such a stupid meaningless name? Why did GM flush all of Pontiac's identity down the toilet in favor of nothing? GM also did this to Oldsmobile and pretty much all their other brands which destroyed them.

Pontiac might have high sales numbers but what that doesn't tell you is that the majority of Pontiac sales are to fleets. Pontiac is GM's biggest fleet brand and the G6 GM's biggest fleet queen next to the Impala. Not profitable or something to brag about.

I really don't think there's much to mourn with Pontiac being discontinued. It doesn't do anything Chevrolet doesn't already do or couldn't do better. Pontiac hasn't been the same since the Firebird was canned and you all knew when Lutz said it was a "damaged brand" (along with Buick) and that the Firebird wasn't coming back that it was a Game Over folks.

GM's slow death continues...
Old 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Very sad. At least I have 3 Trans Am's to keep me busy..So what about SLP's new G8 Firehawk? LOL
Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/auto...obit/index.htm

All over the mainstream media now.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Hate to hear this. I've owned 4 Pontiacs in my lifetime, 2 Trans Ams & 2 Grand Prixs, all good cars.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Launching!

So do you all think the price of 04-06 GTOs and Trans Am's will go up now? I was looking to getting into a GTO since they have become so cheap lately. I'd rather a Trans Am but the GTO is new with a better interior and cost the samething pretty much.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
GMC and buick are also on the chopping block, but buick is a big seller in china and GMC has allot of fleet sales...both sell WAY better then pontiac...its a smart move really.
Actually, Pontiac is #3 in sales and the G6 the best selling car in GM's line-up.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by R W B
So do you all think the price of 04-06 GTOs and Trans Am's will go up now? I was looking to getting into a GTO since they have become so cheap lately. I'd rather a Trans Am but the GTO is new with a better interior and cost the samething pretty much.
No, in fact I think the resale on the LSX GTO and G8s will get even worse.

I was thinking about selling my G8 for a new Camaro or Mustang but I may have to end up keeping it.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea.... I hate to say it.... but once it happens.... the reslae value of any discontinued brand will get worse. Might be a chance to pick up a good deal.... if you plan to keep the car and don't care about the resale value.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96tealTA
Actually, Pontiac is #3 in sales and the G6 the best selling car in GM's line-up.
Uh no that would be the Malibu followed by the Impala. G6 sales tanked when they took away the fleet sales.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

The G8 does turn a profit plus it serves a dual purpose. It helps Holden fill some capacity at their plant and with the aussie dollar tanking GM is turning a profit on it.

It just had its best sales month. It came within 300 units of the Mustang. Which the Mustang was outsold by the Challenger also. In this economy , with a shaky parent company, credit crisis. All things considered the G8 is holding its own.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silplu83
The G8 does turn a profit plus it serves a dual purpose. It helps Holden fill some capacity at their plant and with the aussie dollar tanking GM is turning a profit on it.

It just had its best sales month. It came within 300 units of the Mustang. Which the Mustang was outsold by the Challenger also. In this economy , with a shaky parent company, credit crisis. All things considered the G8 is holding its own.
I agree and the fact that the economy is terrible right now even further solidifies the car is popular and people are buying it. I will believe Pontiacs demise when it is announced by GM. Its not like killing Olds was a big help in the long run. Chevy really doesnt have anything that great either. The vette and maybe the camaro which is basically a two door shorter G8. If they are keeping GMC why bother with any chevy trucks? Seems redundant. The brand killing hasnt helped any of the big three. If Ford can hold on to Mercury there has to be a way to keep Pontiac. It was the third most selling brand and now all that revenue is going to be gone.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If GMC is being kept... it will be mainly for their large commercial truck sales. (Trishield states both GMC and Buick are getting the ax, along with Pontiac.)

Frankly.... it would make more since to kill Buick and GMC and rebadge the GMC commerical trucks under the Chevy moniker... for one thing.... GM will not kill the Silverado.

As for the G8.... it probally could be considered to be doing well given the economy.... however the G8 is not currently making a profit.... it is just breaking even. (I guess that is still better than losing money though.)

Quick Reply: GM Will Discontinue Pontiac