Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

President Obama To Nationalize California Emission Standard & Stengthen CAFE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, so this ****** is going to make me sell my car... LOL, it would never pass any emissions testing.

Let's see where this goes.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Not only will are cars not pass but some people can barely afford fuel, people are driving their cars into the ground because everything is so tight with the economy. I see more rusted out, bald tires, no muffler civics everyday. If they make those standards national this is not helping alot of people.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

id LOVE to be running open LTs running methanol or nitromethane and be at a stop light next to obama's limo i would set the line lock and run through 5 gears burning all the rubber on my rears since it would be worth $300/2 tires. let him inhale my thoughts.

someone needs to take their diesel truck and blow their exhaust into his face

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 05-19-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wannabess00
These are all slowly implemented things and I dont think its all that bad of an idea. Yeah it sux but I dont think its as horrible as we all think. Unless what we are saying is that there are no fast cars in Califonia or anywhere else that there are higher fuel standards
\

Have you ever lived on Cali Buddy?

Nothing but rice and crotchrockets.

The fast cars are all lambos and ferrari's hope you got a lotta cash to support your car hobby

F**K California I cant wait til it falls off in the ocean
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BADMOON
\

The fast cars are all lambos and ferrari's hope you got a lotta cash to support your car hobby

Exactly. You can pretty much give up modding if things get worse, so then why the **** would I stay here? One of the reasons I live here (South Florida) is because of my car...

**** Cali too! Beautiful state! If you don't like modding cars!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha I need to find someone who sells stickers.
This is not needed. I voted for Obama and am still a fan, but get the govt off of my lead foot.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
id LOVE to be running open LTs running methanol or nitromethane and be at a stop light next to obama's limo i would set the line lock and run through 5 gears burning all the rubber on my rears since it would be worth $300/2 tires. let him inhale my thoughts.

someone needs to take their diesel truck and blow their exhaust into his face

that's one way of letting your politicians know where you stand.

I can guarantee you that Texas and a few other states won't allow this to happen (Utah, Montana, Alaska, hopefully Florida... I wish I could put Missouri with this list but can't). States are getting more and more fed up with the Fed telling them what to do, which isn't the Fed's role (according to that old document that doesn't mean anything anymore... the constitution )

As soon as a state denies to uphold this mandate you can bet I'll be moving there... Texas here I come
Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

this is the exact reason why i didnt vote for that piece of **** obama. if i wanted to live under all these rules and regulations id go live in a middle eastern country. obamas worthless. id rather have bush back han have him in the white house. i seriously hope he gets impeached or something of that nature. millions without jobs and losing there homes and transportation and living in the streets. but all they car about is the damn exhaust you put on ure car
Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Now is not the time to start this crock of ****! All its gonna do is pull money back to there sticky paws. Republicans go for oil, Democrats spread their money amongst their lil green friends like al gore who was a major push for e85. Most of the diesel manufacturers in over the road trucks have gave the middle finger to obama and his adminstation of **** suckers. Democrats are going to try and control as much as they can and its gonna happen.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by mynamewasloki
In Florida they stopped doing SMOG and Emission testing in the early 2000s. Does this mean they could possibly bring it back?
They can't change regs for cars that have already been built. It's not like your 2002 model year car will become illegal just because it can't meet the 2016 MPG standards. All this talk is for NEW cars coming out, not the stuff that's already been built.

I doubt that CA-style state emissions inspection testing would be madated nationwide. Just think about the low population areas of the country, I mean, where is a county in northern Montana going to get the sort of cash needed to setup test facilities like those found in southern CA?

Honestly, the worst thing that can happen is that our cars will be forced to meet the emissions standards that they were built to acheive in the first place. But for areas/states without inspections, it's going to take a lot of cash to get those programs going. I don't see the fed coming up with that cash for each and every county of each and every state, so my guess is that enforcement/testing will be left up to the descretion of the states like it is today.

Fed will only mandate certain nationwide regs for new cars being sold. That's what I take from this news.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by ChaseSS

that's one way of letting your politicians know where you stand.

I can guarantee you that Texas and a few other states won't allow this to happen (Utah, Montana, Alaska, hopefully Florida... I wish I could put Missouri with this list but can't). States are getting more and more fed up with the Fed telling them what to do, which isn't the Fed's role (according to that old document that doesn't mean anything anymore... the constitution )

As soon as a state denies to uphold this mandate you can bet I'll be moving there... Texas here I come

So Texas will rebel over higher emissions standards lol? After all this countries gone through this decade thats where they draw the line
Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't care about what they do to CAFE, although I think it will just force us to keep our old cars instead of buying somthing that we won't enjoy. Sure, the technology is there to make a super high mpg car, but it just so happens that not everyone wants t drive a 100hp toaster on wheels.
As far as adopting one states emissions laws as the national standard, that is typical big government liberal crap at its finest.
None of you should EVER believe campaign promises. People say whatever they need to to get elected and then revert back to their true colors. Gues what, the people elceted the third most liberal member of the Senate to be our president.

God help us......
Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

as for the tree-huggers, Californian's, and urban America, they love for this kind of CHANGE. They love to see everyone else pay high gas prices and not be able to drive our "wastefull" polluting gas guzzling automobiles(family vehicles, work trucks, and sports cars) simply because these things are not necisities for them. . . and you know all of this CHANGE is just making our problem of inflation a lot worse. . .
Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by BADMOON
\

I never suggested I knew very much about life in California. I simply asked a question. I dont worry much about it because I think this is just "knee-jerk" type stuff meant to appeal to the "good ol" boys that never liked the president to begin with or already carry a bad attitude towards govt already. I dont want to see fast cars go a way at all and I dont think they will. I think they will evolve over time the same way the 60s muscle cars did
Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I doubt that CA-style state emissions inspection testing would be madated nationwide. Just think about the low population areas of the country, I mean, where is a county in northern Montana going to get the sort of cash needed to setup test facilities like those found in southern CA?
By making companies go out of business and then through a forced bail-out they could do it...like with the banks.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
They can't change regs for cars that have already been built. It's not like your 2002 model year car will become illegal just because it can't meet the 2016 MPG standards. All this talk is for NEW cars coming out, not the stuff that's already been built.

Honestly, the worst thing that can happen is that our cars will be forced to meet the emissions standards that they were built to acheive in the first place. But for areas/states without inspections, it's going to take a lot of cash to get those programs going. I don't see the fed coming up with that cash for each and every county of each and every state, so my guess is that enforcement/testing will be left up to the descretion of the states like it is today.

Fed will only mandate certain nationwide regs for new cars being sold. That's what I take from this news.
This is what I got out of it too now that you point it out. I don't think they can make a car that was/had passed emissions change all of the sudden, they would have to be talking about the newer cars to be comming out.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will affect new cars only. The thing that will affect the used car market is if they make the emissions tests standard in all states.

All in all this is a good idea, it will make the U.S. less dependent on foreign oil, will give us the gas mileage we have been asking for(as a society) and will still allow car manufacturers to offer Corvettes and Camaro's...just with a bigger fee for gas guzzling.

The EU has been doing this for years, every car has to pass MOT to get registered and to be driven on roads. This is a good idea and shows both initiative and planning on the countries part.

The president has nothing to do with this bill, it isn't his fault and it isn't even his idea...it is the countries idea...Obama isn't going to show up on your doorstep and point a gun at you saying sell your F-Body...however he will try to keep as prices in check, and keep fuel mileage up.

Everyone always thinks that the next law or new leader is going to ruin the country, and take away your liberties...I see this as the country we take for granted trying to clean up its image, and its mark on the world.

Agree or disagree I do not care...just know that this has been a long time coming. It is a good idea on paper, a good idea for the nation, and it helps our countries image to the rest of the world...which is what we need now more than ever, the America of yesteryear is gone, and it will never return...we are no longer a country of raw producers, we are a service economy where education takes precedence over the ability to produce raw finished goods.

/rant
/sermon on Economic climate in the Industrialized West
Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Start protesting. Contact your representatives.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

bryan921ss:"Obama isn't going to show up on your doorstep and point a gun at you saying sell your F-Body..."

I wish he would, lol but I think we all know where he stands on gun issues, plus I don't think he likes to visit Texas too much.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Don't be suprised when you see (another) imposed tax for gas and a tax on vehicles that don't meet govt. recommendations on fuel economy, just like the proposed sugar tax on sodas, tobacco, etc...etc...

Quick Reply: President Obama To Nationalize California Emission Standard & Stengthen CAFE