Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ferrari F430 replaced this year!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Ferrari's F1 and BMW's trannsmission (name slips right now sorry) are both based on manual transmissions, they are truly manual.Ferrar's have no auto mode you simple shift or done go right? At least the 360. The dual clutch trannys are based an automatics right?
Ferraris F1 and BMWs DSG are similar yes, but very different in nature. Most Ferrari F1 trannies, 360 included DO have an auto mode. But it's kinda sucky. They really need to be shifted manually. A DSG is NOT based on a automatic. They are automated dual clutch manuals.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like all ferraris its gonna have a ton of hp but a hair of torque. I aint going to lie tho it looks bad ***!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
Like all ferraris its gonna have a ton of hp but a hair of torque. I aint going to lie tho it looks bad ***!!!!
Umm, the F430 makes about 350 pound feet, our LS1 makes about 340. Yet it makes about 490 HP, our LS1 makes 310. And they only have 4.3 litres. So they have 1.4 litres less, they make MORE Torque, and they make about 175 more horespower, yet you say they only have a hair? Maybe it just seems like a hair compared to 500 horses but they make more torque than our 5.7's do. I know they cost a lot more, but cash has nothing to do with cold hard facts lined up next to each other LOL!!! Plus i think they MIGHT weigh less!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Umm, the F430 makes about 350 pound feet, our LS1 makes about 340. Yet it makes about 490 HP, our LS1 makes 310. And they only have 4.3 litres. So they have 1.4 litres less, they make MORE Torque, and they make about 175 more horespower, yet you say they only have a hair? Maybe it just seems like a hair compared to 500 horses but they make more torque than our 5.7's do. I know they cost a lot more, but cash has nothing to do with cold hard facts lined up next to each other LOL!!! Plus i think they MIGHT weigh less!
This could get ugly. HP/L is worthless.

Look at how the engines are being used and what the design goals were. In Europe, vehicles are taxed based on engine displacement, so naturally Ferrari wants to keep displacement as low as possible while keeping HP high to keep customers in showrooms. This means that they have to rev the **** out of the engines and don't have much to offer at lower revs. They spend a lot of time and money (yes, cash DOES matter, engineers don't work for free) to make the engine strong at high revs. Everything, the heads, cams, intake manifold, exhaust, all that is tuned until they're at or past the point of diminishing returns.

Now look at how the American 5.7L is made. It's made on a shoestring budget, compared to Ferrari, only revs to 6200rpm, is physically smaller, weighs less, and has a powerband the size of Texas. Also, look at the modding potential. The design of the LS1 leaves plenty of room to grow, whereas the Italians have prettymuch maxed out their engine. Not much to gain from your basic I/H/E bolt ons. I'd say the American engineers did just as good a job as the Italians when you consider the application, budget, and design constraints. How many people do you see dropping F430 engines into random cars? How many people do you see dropping LS1s into random cars?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX

Look at how the engines are being used and what the design goals were. In Europe, vehicles are taxed based on engine displacement, so naturally Ferrari wants to keep displacement as low as possible while keeping HP high to keep customers in showrooms. This means that they have to rev the **** out of the engines and don't have much to offer at lower revs. They spend a lot of time and money (yes, cash DOES matter, engineers don't work for free) to make the engine strong at high revs. Everything, the heads, cams, intake manifold, exhaust, all that is tuned until they're at or past the point of diminishing returns.

Now look at how the American 5.7L is made. It's made on a shoestring budget, compared to Ferrari, only revs to 6200rpm, is physically smaller, weighs less, and has a powerband the size of Texas. Also, look at the modding potential. The design of the LS1 leaves plenty of room to grow, whereas the Italians have prettymuch maxed out their engine. Not much to gain from your basic I/H/E bolt ons. I'd say the American engineers did just as good a job as the Italians when you consider the application, budget, and design constraints. How many people do you see dropping F430 engines into random cars? How many people do you see dropping LS1s into random cars?

That is PURE favoritism right there. If your gonna compare those two power plants you got to get your facts straight and your head out of your *** in order to make a decent argument.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F50 for me plzzzz!!!!

Eye candy for the rest of yall! Greensboro NC foreign cars italia, I always stop by when we are commnig home to indy from fayetteville. This time they ahd the F40 F50 and the enzo and the 430 scuderia

Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX

Nothing you said makes it any LESS true that the Ferrari f430 makes 350 pounds of torque. And all i was saying is thats more than we have, which is plenty so i was merely pointing out that the term "a hair of torque" is an understatement.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
F50 for me plzzzz!!!!

Eye candy for the rest of yall! Greensboro NC foreign cars italia, I always stop by when we are commnig home to indy from fayetteville. This time they ahd the F40 F50 and the enzo and the 430 scuderia ....

Its true. I love stopping in there. Hell I drive by it everyday.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

God dont those Ferraris look sexy in black? Rare color on a car like any of those, especially the F40 (my favorite ferrari). When i buy my first ferrari, i think it will be a flat black or titanium 360. Or if i can track down a red 98 f355 gt targa
Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Nothing you said makes it any LESS true that the Ferrari f430 makes 350 pounds of torque. And all i was saying is thats more than we have, which is plenty so i was merely pointing out that the term "a hair of torque" is an understatement.
350 pounds of torque is not a lot and the f430 has 343 lbft (at 5250rpms no less)...
Also, the LS1 makes more than 340 lbft, it was rated at 375 in the C5 and 365 in the GTO and most of us know the f-bodies were underrated.

I think with the new F430 (possible f450) Ferrari is trying to make there car stand out more like the lamborghini to try and attract more "look at me" customers. I don't mind it, but I think I prefer the f430's look.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Launching!

I do not claim these to be accurate or representational. These are simply the first graphs I found on dragtimes. So take them for what you will.

2006 Ferrari F430 Dyno Dynamometer Results Graph

2001 Trans Am

That ls1 torque curve is sexy.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackened2k
That ls1 torque curve is sexy.
I agree. I wish we could see a throttle position graph to go with the Ferrari's chart. Also I wish they'd leave the scales for both HP and torque the same. It's easier to figure out what you're looking at.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dig it. Ferrari has been getting its butt kicked, sales and public eye wise, by Lamborghini, its good they are upgrading from the 430 IMO.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I dig it. Ferrari has been getting its butt kicked, sales and public eye wise, by Lamborghini, its good they are upgrading from the 430 IMO.
Well Lambo has the gallardo which makes the company more attainable to so many buyers, the cheapest ferrari is the F430 and its near the murcielago new. What ever happened to that Dino they were supposed to be coming out with to compete in the Gallardo's price range?

Quick Reply: Ferrari F430 replaced this year!!!