Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM' Marketing The Camaro in a New Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm taking bets on when Fox puts a new Camaro on the Simpsons as Mr. Smithers' new car
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they should try some fetish marketing next, at least that would make for some really interesting magazine adds to keep hanging up in the garage. As for the homo, bi-sexual, trannys I never really knew they were a group that needed specific marketing tactics thought they just want to be treated like everyone else. Guess they will have to add a few new colors to the Camaro lineup like a flip-flop that is black during the day for that masculine look and turns a vibrant pink pearl when the sun goes down for that hardcore drag queen.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAm Bandit
camaro is new car for GAYS
previous gay cars: Bmw Z3 z4 MB SLK mini coper vw beetle and etc
i knew¡¡¡¡¡ jejeje i have a "friend" whit one of those toys (mini cooper) jejejeje
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyserWS6
While you may enjoy seeing GM sponsor gay guys
Huh?

GM isn't "sponsoring" anything here, they are advertising their vehicle. If it sells more Camaros, why do you care?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Damn just when i was starting to like the new camaro, now the mustang isnt the gay muscle car anymore!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

At least I got a mullet mobile instead of a twink tank.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Yet if that was a video about a bunch of busty women in bikinis that would have been very wrong, what a joke. I don't care how they try to market cars if it helps sell, but if you allow that then they should make one to market for the straight males. Not trying to sound like I'm bashing, but I would like one I can enjoy.
-Joel
Old 07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

What does a person's sexual preference have to do with automobile marketing? I personally dont care...
I guess the way the camaro has always been portrayed in our society as a manly testoterone bucket meant to attract females. But personally I dont care, I think a car should be made to attract people/buyers regardless if they are gay/straight theey worship buddah/allah or whatever. But certain demographics exist for certain kind of cars, the same way toyota came up with scion to attract young first time buyers.

Im not insecure and paranoid to panic at the fact that a person with different life style choices than me is going to drive the same car I do. I like my camaro and thats all that matters to me.

And I love lesbians and bi sexual hot girls
Old 07-14-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KeyserWS6
While you may enjoy seeing GM sponsor gay guys in speedos sprawling out on the hood of the same vehicle you drive, I can see how some might not be quite as thrilled with the idea.

You are aware this is a performance enthusiast site, right?
So who are they targeting in there current ad's? Gun loving ,inbred,patriotic,conservative,fat,drunks like ourselves?

I have never seen those ads and I never knew that car makers use stereotypes/bigotry/intolerance in there ads'

And what does GM's marketing have to do with whether the fact this is a performance site? What if a gay man had a faster camaro at than you? Would that be the end of the world?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Yet if that was a video about a bunch of busty women in bikinis that would have been very wrong, what a joke.
I'm not sure how you conclude that. Busty women in bikinis are used to advertise a whole host of other products. There's clearly nothing "wrong" with that from an advertising perspective.

Originally Posted by GMmexican
What does a person's sexual preference have to do with automobile marketing?
No idea, it is kinda funny. Obviously they think they are on to something though.

Last edited by infinitebird; 07-14-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GM yanked the ad

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...camaro-ad.aspx
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Good. I'd bet the ads would make more people not want to buy, than it would get people to buy.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
Good. I'd bet the ads would make more people not want to buy, than it would get people to buy.
Absolutely correct. Advertising to a very small niche is asinine at best. How stupid this was. They need to fire the idiot who contrived this scheme.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Absolutely correct. Advertising to a very small niche is asinine at best. How stupid this was. They need to fire the idiot who contrived this scheme.
They would probably end up with a big harassment suite against them since he is a trans gendered Flamer He should have just left his opinions on advertising in the closet with the rest of his ideas.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still don't see what the problem is. Maybe someone who isn't a homophobe can explain it to me?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by infinitebird
I'm not sure how you conclude that. Busty women in bikinis are used to advertise a whole host of other products. There's clearly nothing "wrong" with that from an advertising perspective.

No idea, it is kinda funny. Obviously they think they are on to something though.

The way I meant it was that if it had a bunch of chicks in it people would have made a bigger deal of it. I see nothing wrong with what they did, I think it's them getting the point across that it ain't just for straight people. The problem I would have with it is if it aired nationaly and nobody says anything not to **** of the gays, yet people always btch about the Go Daddy commercials.
-Joel
Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

I would much rather deal with a GAY that has credit than a Red Neck that filed Chapter 7 three months ago and wants to buy a new Camaro.

That's a problem with this country today. We divide ourselves too much. Age, race, religion, where we live, experience, issues, etc. No two people are ever the same. Brothers and sisters from the same parents differ. Hopefully the new GM will sell enough of these cars to buyers.... A buyer is a person that takes delivery. I could care less who they have sex with or anything else.

I can picture the following. Two new Camaro's come to a light. They rev - the windows come down. Are you gay?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by J-R10-5
I would much rather deal with a GAY that has credit than a Red Neck that filed Chapter 7 three months ago and wants to buy a new Camaro.

That's a problem with this country today. We divide ourselves too much. Age, race, religion, where we live, experience, issues, etc. No two people are ever the same. Brothers and sisters from the same parents differ. Hopefully the new GM will sell enough of these cars to buyers.... A buyer is a person that takes delivery. I could care less who they have sex with or anything else.

I can picture the following. Two new Camaro's come to a light. They rev - the windows come down. Are you gay?

X 2 man, well said!!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J-R10-5
A buyer is a person that takes delivery.
Sounds like being a "buyer" is the equivalent of being gay then.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

I find this really funny and another example of GM and their horrible business strategy. Why would you pander to a consumer group (gays) that makes up probably no more than 5% of your potential customers while not targeting the group that has been known to actually buy these types of cars. It doesnt make sense.

Quick Reply: GM' Marketing The Camaro in a New Light