Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ferrari 458 Italia- real world pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
i doubt Ferrari of all people would allow their car to lift at all. werent they the first to put a rear diffuser on a car?
Am talking about the hood, not the car itself. Hood lift is often dissmissed & most drivers don't see the hood & don't realize that it even happens. Cars without pressure relief vents in the hood have hood lift. Air enters through the radiator & whatever other front openings are in the design & gets stalled while it tries to exit the transmission tunnel & other rear engine bay or wheel well vents. It's like having a parachute on the car & the resulting under hood air pressure will lift the hood @ high speeds.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sexy looking car, but what is up with the hood fitment, or is that just bad light....
Old 09-06-2009, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still love the 430 the most, but that is bad *** still. The interior looks amazing.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
sounds just like a s2000 inside clip
Not to me! A flat plane crank V8 sounds worlds different/better.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Am talking about the hood, not the car itself. Hood lift is often dissmissed & most drivers don't see the hood & don't realize that it even happens. Cars without pressure relief vents in the hood have hood lift. Air enters through the radiator & whatever other front openings are in the design & gets stalled while it tries to exit the transmission tunnel & other rear engine bay or wheel well vents. It's like having a parachute on the car & the resulting under hood air pressure will lift the hood @ high speeds.
Maybe on a poorly designed car, not on this. Ferrari even has their own wind tunnel and vast F1 experience....
Old 09-06-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
Maybe on a poorly designed car, not on this. Ferrari even has their own wind tunnel and vast F1 experience....

Let's see it. Show me where the air escapes or wind tunnel pics. F1 is a completely different car. The hood on the Ferrari in this thread will lift. Anyone got any under hood pics?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

There is no way Ferrari forgot about hood lift.......... lets all remember that under most new Ferrari's if not all of them it is straight carbon fiber......... so air can't get in from underneath...... that us also remember with the engine in the back the front is the trunk...... why would air get into the trunk???? Even a Monkey let alone Ferrari could design a hood that seals good............. in other words no hood lift....... not even getting into the aero dynamic testing that goes into these cars...

LS1-450 your logic is extremly flawed and you are thinking of front enge car's but even then......... F-body's don't have "pressure relief vents" but nobody complains of lift..... all of my f-body hoods have allways shut like a dream..... even after high speed runs... no warping or anything......... this is FERRARI!!!!!!!!!!!! not some GM car that I doubt spent any time in the wind tunnel.....

When is the last time you haerd anything bad about Ferrari or something that big being over looked or anything for that matter being over looked..........
Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

What's up with the triangular voids between the headlights & the hood? Makes the front look goofy. Probably catches enough air to pressurize the engine bay & lift that hood a good 1/4" @ high speed.
Umm just for looks???? Without them I don't think the lines of the front end would flow right.

The engine is in the back Mr. C6R racing team.... Under the hood is what you might call the trunk...... you put breif cases and stuff in there..........

You look really really bad now man haha. Engine in the front hahaha.....

The 575 Maranello has the engine in the front and no hood lift....... again when is the last time you heard of Ferrari owners complaing about hood light or when is the last time you saw a Ferrari hood on the side of a race track????

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 09-06-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

No, I don't look bad @ all. Show me pics, not words. That hood lifts & the triangular voids look like ****. Never said it comes off, I said it lifts. Doubtfull that a Ferari owner knows enough to even realize that it's happening. Don't get personal w/ your statements. F-body hoods lift as well.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1-450 I seriously doubt Ferrari mis-engineered something that drastic, and no-one's gonna bend over backwards to go find you pictures to prove your stupid ideas are wrong. A little common sense would probably go alot further than thinking that those vents are gonna cause hood lift or what the exact reason for them being there until the car comes out or more details are given.
My assumption would be some inlet ducts for either brake cooling or intake air to some H/E or possibly even to promote downforce. You'll also notice some vents on the outside of the headlights on top of the fender so there is obviously some interesting and FUNCTIONAL ducting going on beneath the bodywork. An Ape can come up with the conclusion that you came too and he too would be wrong...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Alright, you guys are correct & I am incorrect regarding the possability of hood lift on the Ferrari. The facts regarding hood lift are true. Wouldn't expect people who concider moving in a straight line for a 1/4 mile, "driving" to understand the concept. Try turning the steering wheel @ trap speed for a high speed turn, then you'll understand what driving means. Although, you'll likely be on your roof.

Spoolin' I've read many threads where you're in there running your big mouth. 8K+ posts since 2007, GET A ******' LIFE!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

No, I don't look bad @ all. Show me pics, not words. That hood lifts & the triangular voids look like ****. Never said it comes off, I said it lifts. Doubtfull that a Ferari owner knows enough to even realize that it's happening. Don't get personal w/ your statements. F-body hoods lift as well.
Umm your entire argument is based on a front engined car and you came in hear saying how it will lift and talking about the engine compartment and wanting under the hood pics..... when it is a rear engine car.......

Like I said, why would they want any air to get into the "trunk of the car"? No need for it.... oh, you would be suprised just thow much Ferrari owners know about their car.

Not sure what the big deal is in hood lift unless it is all out pro racing or if it comes off.

Your argument is based on those vents being functional........... it is obvious you don't know much because you thought the engine was in the front.... and who wants air into the trunk on a street car?

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 09-07-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Alright, you guys are correct & I am incorrect regarding the possability of hood lift on the Ferrari. The facts regarding hood lift are true. Wouldn't expect people who concider moving in a straight line for a 1/4 mile, "driving" to understand the concept. Try turning the steering wheel @ trap speed for a high speed turn, then you'll understand what driving means. Although, you'll likely be on your roof.

Spoolin' I've read many threads where you're in there running your big mouth. 8K+ posts since 2007, GET A ******' LIFE!

Yes hood lift is very real but making an asumtion that Ferrari would have over looked it or that the vents are functional is just stupid...... why would you want to put air into the trunk?

P.S. Please don't tell me to watch the personal statments when you make posts like the above........
Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

The vents next to the "hood" as you call it do not even go under the "hood". They are used for cooling and are in no way, shape or form attached to the "hood". Anyone who thinks Ferrari, F1 champs like 16 times, who have their own $10 million dollar windtunnel, would allow "hood lift" is just looking for excuses and things to say....
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
The vents next to the "hood" as you call it do not even go under the "hood". They are used for cooling and are in no way, shape or form attached to the "hood". Anyone who thinks Ferrari, F1 champs like 16 times, who have their own $10 million dollar windtunnel, would allow "hood lift" is just looking for excuses and things to say....
Not to mention one of their test drivers has most if not all the F1 record's and is the winingnest driver of all time and I think has more championships then anyone..... ever.........

I figured at most those vent looking things went to the front brakes.........

I still can't beleive his argument was based on a front engined car haha....... engine is in the back haha.......

Here is an under the "hood" picture of a 430.... looks sealed up pretty good to me.........

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 09-07-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

...Spoolin' I've read many threads where you're in there running your big mouth. 8K+ posts since 2007, GET A ******' LIFE!
If I do run my mouth it's directed at mis-guided idiots such as yourself. I'd rather shut your pie-hole before some noob gets ahead of himself and regurgitates what he read in this thread at a meet and get's ridiculed because your an imbecile. Yes we all know what hood lift is, thank you...but it doesn't apply to quarter million dollar F-1 bred Ferrari's...you done?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, all this over some damn vents. Everyone needs a life. If Ferrari put them there they serve a purpose. Just leave it at that, they do nothing without making it functional. Will the typical owner appreciate that, no.

Anyway from Ferrari's website; "profiles to direct air to the coolant radiators and new flat underbody."

Here's the link to it. Since these are the only "profiles" on the car other than the nifty moving winglets for downforce, I am assuming this is what they do.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...58-Italia.aspx

Oh on pic 1 in the OP link, you can see a raised section on the corner of the hood, that isn't apparent on pic 3 looking slightly overhead.

Last edited by kain01; 09-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Teching In

i miss the high pitched note of the 360
Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

From a direct sideview, I really like the profile. However, the F430 is the mid-engine Ferrari for me....this one looks a little awkward inside and the front is not as beautiful as so many Ferraris in the past.

I am sure it will grow on me though, it's just a first impression.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

not a fan of the lights..the front looks like it doesnt fit right. but i love the rest of the car. the interior looks complex but cool. I guess you'll have to read the owner's manual before attempting to start it up lol

Quick Reply: Ferrari 458 Italia- real world pics