Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Last big block rolls off line!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009 | 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Last big block rolls off line!

So apparently they aren't make big motors for their trucks any more?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/22/r...-off-the-line/

Anyone have more info?
Old 12-23-2009 | 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My dad had an email come to the dealership yesterday, long 4 page article on the last big block, interesting and sad, didn't say if this is also killing the big block GMPP engines, we are guessing it includes those also.
Old 12-23-2009 | 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just spent the past 20 minutes reading the comments. People are unbelievably ignorant. They say that V8's can't make the power of a V6, and the 2 extra cylinders can't get good MPG. Apparently the base Corvette only gets 20mpg HWY.

Personally I don't really care that the big block is going away. If you really wanted to build one, you wouldn't have any trouble finding one.
Old 12-23-2009 | 09:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Personally I don't really care that the big block is going away.
I do. L18 components were a nice chunk of business for me.
Old 12-23-2009 | 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
I do. L18 components were a nice chunk of business for me.
Let me restate my comment. I care that people will lose business, and those employees building the engines lost their jobs. However, I will never build one so I am not affected. The only way I would build one would be in an old car, and even then, it would probably be a Fairlane or something with an FE block.

What do you do Unit, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 12-23-2009 | 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

boo hoo, times change. Time to keep marching forward.
Old 12-23-2009 | 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Kinda sucks, It has been such a staple for such a long time. I'm sure it will be for some time to come, but this means the well will dry up on factory cores/blocks not long after that.

Good thing i have a 454 at home in the garage. Looks like i'll have to start collecting parts for the future Thats it that will be my excuse.
Old 12-23-2009 | 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
boo hoo, times change. Time to keep marching forward.
YUP...U can buy a BB all day long...bettter ones that the factories EVER put out....who gives a shoot......
Old 12-24-2009 | 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, that definetly does suck for the auto workers, guess it was a long time coming 'till the factory, big-block died!

-SS
Old 12-24-2009 | 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sign that the times are changing. Its a sad day I say; the eco-friendly future creeping up slow and sure. It's slowly tightening grip should worry any enthusiast. The BBC has been around for a long time and has definitely made a big impact. RIP BBC.
Old 12-24-2009 | 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Next up on the chopping block, SBC.

Funny thing is, the carbon footprint of these hybrid cars is not a good alternative, look at the power sources and the grid that powers them, not to mention the parts they use. They just don't see the pollution first hand. I guess what you can't see can't hurt you....right?
Old 12-24-2009 | 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by $750 L98
Next up on the chopping block, SBC.

Funny thing is, the carbon footprint of these hybrid cars is not a good alternative, look at the power sources and the grid that powers them, not to mention the parts they use. They just don't see the pollution first hand. I guess what you can't see can't hurt you....right?
Well in theory it is easier to saw switch out a coal power plant for a nuke one, as opposed to say going out to every car and replacing emissions control or the engine on it. Of course that assumes the government is smart.

Actuallty the funny thing about the plug in hybrids is they overload the grid. There was a study done locally and they figured out if 30% of the people owned plugins and say got home from work between 5 and 6 pm and plugged the cars in, they'd cause the grid to brownout. So we can look forward to that I guess.
Old 12-26-2009 | 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly, the grid we have no does not produce the amount of energy we need, nor could the lines/switch stations handle that kind of pull. We would be running off of a grid that is considered inefficient by developing countries for crying out loud.
Old 12-27-2009 | 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
Well in theory it is easier to saw switch out a coal power plant for a nuke one, as opposed to say going out to every car and replacing emissions control or the engine on it. Of course that assumes the government is smart.

Actuallty the funny thing about the plug in hybrids is they overload the grid. There was a study done locally and they figured out if 30% of the people owned plugins and say got home from work between 5 and 6 pm and plugged the cars in, they'd cause the grid to brownout. So we can look forward to that I guess.
Well how much power does it take to charge a hybrid, considering those same people plus the other 70% getting home are also, starting dinner and leaving the tv on for hours on end and turning on AC or Heat, washing clothes, turning on their lights its less power than those I don't think it will be much of an issue seeing as its common for that burst of power use at that time. I know nothing about electricity or grids all I know is for the VOLT it will cost about 80cents of electricity for a full charge (8hours), which is less than your fridge
Old 12-28-2009 | 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
YUP...U can buy a BB all day long...bettter ones that the factories EVER put out....who gives a shoot......
Just wanna say your TransAm is beautiful.
Old 12-28-2009 | 05:46 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

What is Mercury Marine going to do with their HUGE selling 496HO unit's?

Quick Reply: Last big block rolls off line!