Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota tries to cover up problem...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and again bashing me because I have actually backed my statements up with actually driving the ******* cars. immature

BTW, guy in cali had his car returned to him cause NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH THE CAR he was full of **** and got proven wrong.

lady that crashed her prius in NY had her car returned to her too. SHE NEVER HIT THE BRAKES.

gf kids. I saw these BS stories coming as soon as the recall news went out. People just want to get money from Toyota.

Last edited by ThoR294; 03-18-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Not from a person on my truck forum. A guy took his wife's prius out, it would not shut off while moving, it would not shift into neutral or any other gear while moving. Prius is drive by wire, I can see a software glitch in the ECM causing these accidents and possibly making the brake pedal safety not work either.
I actually heard to the same thing from a person that my family knows that has a Prius. The car basically stopped responding to any driver input, so even shifting to neutral or holding the start button did nothing.

As you said, there are no mechanical connections to anything. Everything runs through the PCM. So if the PCM has a glitch and doesn't respond, its not going to let the driver do anything.

I don't understand the people who claim this couldn't happen. Anyone who has ever used a personal computer can tell you that glitches and software erros are common, and often the result is that they computer becomes non responsive. In this case, that means the car will do whatever it wants until the PCM either starts to respond again or electrical power is lost.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4PtafRB9c
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Thor294.. I'm not calling BS on your claims. However you cannot discount that in an actual situation if there becomes a software glitch in the ECM which puts the car to 100 %TPS position since it is drive by wire it is very possible these accidents can happen.

Edit: You also have to take into consideration, if this situation happens, 99% of people driving these cars could not handle the pressure, they freak out, they don't remain calm and think about holding the "power" button down for 3 or 5 seconds or whatever it is.

Did you see the story about the police officer in a lexus with his family in the car and they died while on the phone with 911? He was a police officer and trained to handle high adrenaline situations and he could not get the car to shut off, or go in neutral either.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^Thor294.. I'm not calling BS on your claims. However you cannot discount that in an actual situation if there becomes a software glitch in the ECM which puts the car to 100 %TPS position since it is drive by wire it is very possible these accidents can happen.

Edit: You also have to take into consideration, if this situation happens, 99% of people driving these cars could not handle the pressure, they freak out, they don't remain calm and think about holding the "power" button down for 3 or 5 seconds or whatever it is.

Did you see the story about the police officer in a lexus with his family in the car and they died while on the phone with 911? He was a police officer and trained to handle high adrenaline situations and he could not get the car to shut off, or go in neutral either.
I understand that as well. but then you have guys like this that fake the story and ruin it for the true victims, ya know?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly caused by shorts.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just going to throw this out there:

If there is a computer and/or programming issue that is causing all this stuff - which I am sure it is, given how it really does not appear to be the pedals - why is it that hard to believe that the car wouldn't respond to the power off or shift or whatever?

Let's think about it: Normally, it operates this way. Brake override, neutral shift works, push power button and hold for 3 sec (seriously, this is stupid, just give me a freakin' key), all that works normally.

NOW, we have a problem in the computer. It holds the throttle wide open. It could also make it otherwise non-responsive to other inputs. Think of your home PC, if your PC locks up, it is stuck in its current state. If the computer on the car is spazzing out at the time the throttle goes WOT, how likely is it that other things won't work? I'd have to say it is definitely a possibility.

So, for those who say "hey, it normally works this way, so I call bull on it not working" well, the car isn't operating normally, now is it?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

if my pc locks up, I hold the power button and it shuts off.

i seriously doubt everything else gets locked out. I can understand the throttle being stuck. everything else, no
Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThoR294

i seriously doubt everything else gets locked out. I can understand the throttle being stuck. everything else, no
Yeah, that's true, because it is designed that way at the hardware level. But no saying whether it is that way on toyota's system or not. I'd hope so, but don't know for sure.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats because the power button mechanically cuts the power on your PC.

It doesn't work through software the way the prius's start/stop button does.

In order to turn the engine off, the command needs to go through the PCM. If the PCM has malfunctioned, the car will not shut off. Thats the problem with relying on one control unit to run and entire vehicle.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I love how this guy does the research for Toyota and proves how it can happen, yet those ignorant ******** still maintain that the pedal itself is physically getting stuck.

They should be thanking this guy and paying him for his time...instead, in typical Japanese fashion, they ignore him and pretend they have found the real problem. Of course they haven't. Its not the damn pedal.

I hope they go out of business.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

They should start sticking throw switches like these in those cars, a surefire way to shut them down....

Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

hahahaha PERFECT
Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
9 Second Club

It's the computers. They've become self-aware and they're trying to kill us off. Skynet is online.

But seriously, whatever happened to the good old days when almost NOTHING on a car was run by a computer? You don't see these 60's and 70's cars screwing up. Hell, when roll up windows were still around, those never malfunctioned either unless the person rolling it up was drunk. In which case, that might be a problem if they don't get the windows down fast enough...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

the only benefit i see to drive by wire is VSC, where it can cut the throttle if the jackass is flooring it through a turn. all it does is dumb down driving of a car. they are even talking about eliminating stick shifts from cars.... **** THAT.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I love how this guy does the research for Toyota and proves how it can happen, yet those ignorant ******** still maintain that the pedal itself is physically getting stuck.

They should be thanking this guy and paying him for his time...instead, in typical Japanese fashion, they ignore him and pretend they have found the real problem. Of course they haven't. Its not the damn pedal.

I hope they go out of business.

Hes a pretty cool Professor I go to siu. Kinda funny that I had advanced driveability last semester and one of the labs you have to do is placing these shorts in cars/ I did on a Ford F150 and a Buick Lucerne and they both defualted right away.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

the only benefit i see to drive by wire is VSC, where it can cut the throttle if the jackass is flooring it through a turn. all it does is dumb down driving of a car. they are even talking about eliminating stick shifts from cars.... **** THAT.
The average person who buys the car is a ******* idiot honestly and probably needs to retake their driving test. Everyone on tech compared to the rest of the public looks like John Force
Old 03-19-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
The average person who buys the car is a ******* idiot honestly and probably needs to retake their driving test. Everyone on tech compared to the rest of the public looks like John Force
There needs to be a "THIS IS WHAT **** IN YOUR CAR DOES" class and "IF THIS HAPPENS DO THIS" class. I.E. SHIFTER, KEY, ETC. and LEFT LANE = PASSING KTHNX

Old 03-30-2010, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There needs to be a "THIS IS WHAT **** IN YOUR CAR DOES" class and "IF THIS HAPPENS DO THIS" class. I.E. SHIFTER, KEY, ETC. and LEFT LANE = PASSING KTHNX

The adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. If a throttle cable snaps the car doesn't accelerate and if it sticks then you slip a toe under it and free it. A cable operated transmission gives a connection to the transmission. If somehow both failed then a real key in a ignition switch would still operate. Take all of that and route it through one common thing (PCM) and you run the risk of it being less reliable. Routing it all through one common point does not allow for multiple fail-safes like "older" tech.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont the stupid drivers just shut the ignition or throw it in neutral?? And why freakout?? How fast can a prius accelerate? Probably you still have time to make a tea

Last edited by mannyman84; 04-01-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota tries to cover up problem...again