Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM sees 21% sales gain in March

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:31 AM
Restricted User

Default GM sees 21% sales gain in March

We can always use some good news in this section.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10716...n=unitedonline

DETROIT (TheStreet) -- General Motors said sales rose 21% in March, led by a 76% gain at Buick.

Buick sales were led by the LaCrosse, which rose 236% to 6,054 cars. Buick retail sales rose 34%. Overall, sales of GM's four retained brands totaled 185,406 during the month, a 43% gain for the four brands.

"Our March results show continued progress toward our growth plan," said Susan Docherty, vice president of marketing, in a prepared statement. "By investing in our brands and remaining disciplined in our approach to the U.S. market, we posted solid results."

Chevrolet dealers reported sales of 133,165, with retail sales up 24%. Sales of the Chevrolet Equinox rose 194%. To meet growing demand for the Equinox and the GMC Terrain, GM said it would increase production.

Month-end dealer inventory in the U.S. stood at about 428,000 units, up 8,000 from February and about 338,000 vehicles fewer than a year earlier.

Also Thursday, Ford(F) said its sales in China were up 84% in the first quarter.
Old 04-01-2010 | 10:40 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

That's good stuff, after trimming some of the fat they do have some great product and some even better vehicles coming out as well.
They just need to stay on target and keep operations running lean for a while and then maybe they can start to really taking back some market share. :yesnod:
Old 04-01-2010 | 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bet the Toyota nightmare helped too.
Old 04-01-2010 | 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darksol
I bet the Toyota nightmare helped too.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010040...-by-incentives

It probably did, but were still short of estimates by several percent,
but Toyota sales are up 41%.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/01/news...ies/autosales/
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...to-market.html

Ford sales are up 40%
Old 04-01-2010 | 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM/Ford have both been seeing sales climbs so far this year which is great news. Toyota sales dropped like a rock so I am a bit surprised that they picked back up so fast and so soon....people out there just love Toyota no matter how fast the car goes on its own.
Old 04-01-2010 | 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Jobless claims are at a 19 month low today I heard, so more jobs = more $$ to be spent. The slow climb back to the top has to start somewhere, and although I wish Pontiac didnt have to go, it was a good idea to trim the brands down.
Old 04-02-2010 | 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WSsick
Jobless claims are at a 19 month low today I heard, so more jobs = more $$ to be spent. The slow climb back to the top has to start somewhere, and although I wish Pontiac didnt have to go, it was a good idea to trim the brands down.
Haven't you read some of the signatures on here? Our president is a idiot and there is no hope in sight.

Seriously seems like its a long climb back up.
Old 04-03-2010 | 09:43 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by proporio
but Toyota sales are up 41%.
This "sales gain" is deceiving...they are up 41% over the last month, where they were down 60%. Also consider this is a time of the year when sales generally jump anyway. Toyota is on track to lose almost $9B for the 09-10 fiscal year (march-march in japan)...they have also ceded 4-points in US marketshare.

Add to all that the fact that the unintended acceleration mess is nowhere near over, seeing as they haven't even determined how to fix the problem, and you should realize that Toyota is in very very bad shape.

I've said for years that a changing of the guard is coming, and this is the breaking point. This is the event that will flip the classic thinking that American cars are inherently unreliable and Japanese cars are inherently reliable. Toyota has not seen the bottom of the hole yet.

Proporio...i'd love to know, what does my original topic have to do with Toyota? Why is that brand even being mentioned in this thread?

Last edited by Blakbird24; 04-03-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2010 | 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
This "sales gain" is deceiving...they are up 41% over the last month, where they were down 60%. Also consider this is a time of the year when sales generally jump anyway. Toyota is on track to lose almost $9B for the 09-10 fiscal year (march-march in japan)...they have also ceded 4-points in US marketshare.

Add to all that the fact that the unintended acceleration mess is nowhere near over, seeing as they haven't even determined how to fix the problem, and you should realize that Toyota is in very very bad shape.

I've said for years that a changing of the guard is coming, and this is the breaking point. This is the event that will flip the classic thinking that American cars are inherently unreliable and Japanese cars are inherently reliable. Toyota has not seen the bottom of the hole yet.

Proporio...i'd love to know, what does my original topic have to do with Toyota? Why is that brand even being mentioned in this thread?
Read post #3

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update3-.html

so, does that mean that I shouldn't mention that Nissan sales are up 43%?

Last edited by proporio; 04-03-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2010 | 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

now GM needs to work on their customer retention w/ service quality like toyota. .....well before this faulty floor mat etc bullshit
Old 04-03-2010 | 03:43 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by proporio
Read post #3

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update3-.html

so, does that mean that I shouldn't mention that Nissan sales are up 43%?
Very good, you're learning.

How about actually contributing to the subject of the thread and not trying to wave import flags in every single one you join? There are plenty of threads about Toyota in this section alone, you can get your fill of Toyota news there. This thread has nothing to do with Toyota...so what you are doing is known as TROLLING.
Old 04-03-2010 | 03:49 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
now GM needs to work on their customer retention w/ service quality like toyota. .....well before this faulty floor mat etc bullshit
I don't think GM has a thing to learn from Toyota, other than maybe to not install drive-by-wire systems with no failsafes on all your cars. It's true that Toyota is a model of efficiency in terms of business structure, however, that structure cannot work for an American automaker since it depends on cheap non-union labor. Also, GM already has the quality control practices in place to surpass Toyota...hell they've already done it in initial quality, and in 5 years, those same vehicles will be posting excellent long term reliability. GM and Ford are both on the right track now...they just need to KEEP on this track and not waiver in the slightest. All it takes now is time for perceptions to change, and as you can already see, that very phenomena has begun.
Old 04-06-2010 | 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

This is great news to hear! I'm very happy that GM is finally selling more cars again and I mean why not, they designing some nice looking cars again.

How could you not like this car? Great designing outside and inside, we'll all just to see how reliable the car is now in the long run.
Old 04-06-2010 | 11:51 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

I don't think GM has a thing to learn from Toyota, other than maybe to not install drive-by-wire systems with no failsafes on all your cars. It's true that Toyota is a model of efficiency in terms of business structure, however, that structure cannot work for an American automaker since it depends on cheap non-union labor. Also, GM already has the quality control practices in place to surpass Toyota...hell they've already done it in initial quality, and in 5 years, those same vehicles will be posting excellent long term reliability. GM and Ford are both on the right track now...they just need to KEEP on this track and not waiver in the slightest. All it takes now is time for perceptions to change, and as you can already see, that very phenomena has begun.
Originally Posted by steelers33
This is great news to hear! I'm very happy that GM is finally selling more cars again and I mean why not, they designing some nice looking cars again.

How could you not like this car? Great designing outside and inside, we'll all just to see how reliable the car is now in the long run.
I agree.
Old 04-08-2010 | 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

well I've never owned a new car so I have no personal experience. but I don't know how many times I've heard people complaining about GM service & warranty work, something I've never heard a toyota owner bitch about(except for the floor mat/gas pedal BS). even with all those tacoma frame recalls, I know of 11 people that had their trucks scraped and every one of them were very happy w/ the whole situation because toyota compensated them so well. I wasn't talking about biz structure, QC or reliability, only the whole dealership service experience. I do agree with what your saying tho
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darksol
Haven't you read some of the signatures on here? Our president is a idiot and there is no hope in sight.

Seriously seems like its a long climb back up.
please do not confuse me with a democrat. i am simply stating that the pieces of data can somewhat(to a small extent) verify each other. if jobless claims are low, people would have more money to spend. see where im coming from? no, im not saying it confirms there are more jobs, or that obama is actually succeeding (not). im simply saying it would make sense, as a line of similarity can be drawn between the too.

[on a personal note, i believe the economy (somehow) still has a life of its own, and it will start to make a comeback (including jobs) with or without help from this administration. with that said, if its palin v obama in 12, idk what im gonna do. whos a good 3rd party? ]
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yes! 3rd party candidate for Congress, the Senate and the Presidency. It's the only way they will know we are pissed enough to throw there buts out.
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steelers33

It's a Buick, they rank in the top 5 consistently in JD Power's long term test's.
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WSsick
[on a personal note, i believe the economy (somehow) still has a life of its own, and it will start to make a comeback (including jobs) with or without help from this administration. with that said, if its palin v obama in 12, idk what im gonna do. whos a good 3rd party? ]
ron paul! hes gettin my vote again no matter whos running since neither of the big 2 have anyone worth a damn
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad to see GM's sales increasing, but until they actually turn a profit, I'm not celebrating.

Quick Reply: GM sees 21% sales gain in March