Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2012 Camaro to get Interior Upgrade, Z28 News

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
I'm not even a Camaro guy but I like the Camaro better and you can't objectively split the two between materials. I like the showcar design of the Camaro much, much more and it's fitting with the exterior. The basics are contemporary too. The Mustang doesn't even come with a DIC.

I've driven a couple 2010 Mustangs and I got deja vu from 2006 all over again. It also reminded me why I purchased and LS2 GTO over it back then too. The Mustang doesn't have anything close to resembling a premium interior inside, it's a big joke. Especially now that they cost 40 grand loaded. Money that would get you an SRT8 car or a G8 GXP (which I got for considerably less).

The seats are as horrid as they get in a muscle car, the rear is completely worthless and the Mustang is about 5 grand too expensive for what you get. I would also never spend the coin on Sync or nav. I'm much more interested in performance in a car like that instead of hardware that ages rapidly (take a look at how awful nav looks in cars that are 7 years or older now).

If interiors sold these cars then the GTO would have been a smash success.
You must have driven in a Mustang without the premium package then. And the '11 interior is light years ahead of the '06 you bring up. The plastics on the Mustang are MUCH better then the Camaro. Night and day. If you can't see or feel that I don't know what to tell you. I wouldn't want the nav, but at least the Mustang offers it. The Camaro doesn't. Sync is awesome, and is part of the premium package. The seats to me are better then the Camaros. The leather of the Camaro is a notch below the Mustangs for sure. You can see it and feel it. If the Camaro interior was as good as you seem to think it is GM wouldn't be doing it all over a few years later now would they?

Also, a Mustang is no where near 40K unless you add nav and traffic and the Shaker 1000 stereo and so on that you can not even get on a Camaro. If you get a GT with the premium package, the Brembo package and the gears it will be stickered about 35K, same as the SS. I'm a GM guy through and through, but the Mustang interior is so much better it is not even funny. Some GM guys just seem to be either too biased, or have bad eyesight I guess.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I think what this comes down to Trishield is a matter of opinion (and obviously you just don't like the Mustang......alot). Like I said in my post, the Camaro's interior does appeal to some (like you) but totally turns off others. I just don't think an interior of a car should be love it or hate it. It should manage to be somewhere in between at least. Of course it all comes down to opinion. And when it comes to what you're going to buy when you go down to the dealership, your opinion is the only one that matters. But regardless, you can't escape the fact that the Camaro's interior has turned off alot of ppl enough to make them not want to buy the car, and that's a problem that GM is rightful to address.
Well said. I do know people who like the Camaro interior. Most DON'T own it. I have three buddies with them and they all say they wish it was nicer. One actually admits the Mustangs is heads and heels better....

GM needs to fix, bottom line. Either way it is better then the POS 4th gen interiors!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
You must have driven in a Mustang without the premium package then. And the '11 interior is light years ahead of the '06 you bring up. The plastics on the Mustang are MUCH better then the Camaro. Night and day. If you can't see or feel that I don't know what to tell you.
I have, they glue a piece of aluminum to the dashpad and that's about it. That doesn't make the interior nice. My family owns Euros and I have owned the Holdens GM has sold here, I know what a nice interior is. The Mustang isn't "premium" by any strech of the imagination. I wouldn't say the same for the Camaro either but it is more modern and has a lot of nicer touches that one expects from any modern car at any price. Even Kias have colums that adjust for reach and rake these days and seats that aren't as soggy as a bowl of cereal after 5 minutes.

The Mustang is still the same car they've sold since 2005 with tweaks. The interior is still mostly the same with different styling. It's the same door panels, the same dash, the same seats made out of the same stuff they've been using for years. It's hard, it's shiny, it's a Mustang interior. It still has the steering column from a pickup. Seats that seem to be specifically designed for old fat guys (like the Corvette). A useless backseat. A centerconsole cover that can be easily finger wiggled (and elbow wiggled which is annoying). The same banana-peel shiny leather that the car has always had. The same hard to read gauges (at least the Camaro gives you a high-res DIC, you don't get squat in the Mustang). I don't know how I can make it any plainer. I know people don't buy these cars for the interiors and they don't define what a muscle car is by any means but the Mustang's is hugely, hugely overrated.

I remember reading about how awesome the interior was last year and I had to give a few 2010s a drive before pulling the trigger on my GXP. All of them were nearly 40k and didn't have nav. The cheapest one was $37,800. That's a lot of damn money for a Mustang. And for that price the interior is extremely disappointing, especially after all the fawning the press gave it. At least when the critics aren't at a Ford sponsored-event they are a bit more honest. Edmunds told it like it is in their latest Mustang vs Camaro review in regards to the suspension behavior in normal driving. Car and Driver was honest about the Mustang interior in their last review. It doesn't have anything over the Camaro, at all. Not liking the design is one thing but after driving a few and renting an SS for a week I find that it is in no measurable way superior (it also looks like many on AutoBlog who actually drove Camaros agree with me as well).

To humor you I just built a new Mustang GT the same way I would have a Camaro (with Brembos, HIDs, manual, no sync/nav BS) and it's $38,595. That's more than a 2SS/RS with a manual ($36,495) and a hefty price for a Mustang GT.

If GM wants to improve it, awesome. I already listed what I think they could do. But the interior is great for this type of car and just as special inside as the exterior of the car. I hope that doesn't get lost on GM when it times to go back to the drawing board.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

I have, they glue a piece of aluminum to the dashpad and that's about it. That doesn't make the interior nice. My family owns Euros and I have owned the Holdens GM has sold here, I know what a nice interior is. The Mustang isn't "premium" by any strech of the imagination. I wouldn't say the same for the Camaro either but it is more modern and has a lot of nicer touches that one expects from any modern car at any price. Even Kias have colums that adjust for reach and rake these days and seats that aren't as soggy as a bowl of cereal after 5 minutes.

The Mustang is still the same car they've sold since 2005 with tweaks. The interior is still mostly the same with different styling. It's the same door panels, the same dash, the same seats made out of the same stuff they've been using for years. It's hard, it's shiny, it's a Mustang interior. It still has the steering column from a pickup. Seats that seem to be specifically designed for old fat guys (like the Corvette). A useless backseat. A centerconsole cover that can be easily finger wiggled (and elbow wiggled which is annoying). The same banana-peel shiny leather that the car has always had. The same hard to read gauges (at least the Camaro gives you a high-res DIC, you don't get squat in the Mustang). I don't know how I can make it any plainer. I know people don't buy these cars for the interiors and they don't define what a muscle car is by any means but the Mustang's is hugely, hugely overrated.

I remember reading about how awesome the interior was last year and I had to give a few 2010s a drive before pulling the trigger on my GXP. All of them were nearly 40k and didn't have nav. The cheapest one was $37,800. That's a lot of damn money for a Mustang. And for that price the interior is extremely disappointing, especially after all the fawning the press gave it. At least when the critics aren't at a Ford sponsored-event they are a bit more honest. Edmunds told it like it is in their latest Mustang vs Camaro review in regards to the suspension behavior in normal driving. Car and Driver was honest about the Mustang interior in their last review. It doesn't have anything over the Camaro, at all. Not liking the design is one thing but after driving a few and renting an SS for a week I find that it is in no measurable way superior (it also looks like many on AutoBlog who actually drove Camaros agree with me as well).

To humor you I just built a new Mustang GT the same way I would have a Camaro (with Brembos, HIDs, manual, no sync/nav BS) and it's $38,595. That's more than a 2SS/RS with a manual ($36,495) and a hefty price for a Mustang GT.

If GM wants to improve it, awesome. I already listed what I think they could do. But the interior is great for this type of car and just as special inside as the exterior of the car. I hope that doesn't get lost on GM when it times to go back to the drawing board.
It is cool to me no matter what you think, but sometimes I think I am the only one in here who will give credit where credit is due. Even if it is not GM LOL. If you think the only thing the premium package adds is a piece of aluminum your incorrect. The plastics themselves are upgraded for '11 as is the leather. Plus you get Sync, the Shaker stereo, Sat radio and a back-up camera plus a few other things for like a little over $2000. I don't know what car you built but I just built a GT with the Brembos, and HIDs like you did and it was no where near that price.

GT $30,495 plus $850 delivery is $31,345
The Brembo package is $1695 so that is $33,040
And the HIDs are $535 so that is a total of $34,745

Last edited by SSNISTR; 05-02-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM needs to fix, bottom line. Either way it is better then the POS 4th gen interiors!
Awww, I love my cheap plastic 4th gen interior...lol

I think the 2010 Camaro has a MUCH better interior then my moms 08 Mustang (which I think is a decent/good interior)...but I do love the 2010+ interior in the car now and have not been in one so cant say which is better in that area.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd so much rather sit in a 4-th gen then either of the new pony cars... The interior in our cars was all function. Yeah the seats weren't great, but come on. I didn't buy my car to fal asleep in, I bought it to rape mustangs and ****... I love the lay out of the 4th-gen dash, especially the tach and speedo...

One thing our cars have over the new ones is AERO...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

It is cool to me no matter what you think, but sometimes I think I am the only one in here who will give credit where credit is due. Even if it is not GM LOL. If you think the only thing the premium package adds is a piece of aluminum your incorrect. The plastics themselves are upgraded for '11 as is the leather. Plus you get Sync, the Shaker stereo, Sat radio and a back-up camera plus a few other things for like a little over $2000. I don't know what car you built but I just built a GT with the Brembos, and HIDs like you did and it was no where near that price.

GT $30,495 plus $850 delivery is $31,345
The Brembo package is $1695 so that is $33,040
And the HIDs are $535 so that is a total of $34,745
Again it's basically a piece of aluminum on the dashpad, that is the gist of the interior change in the premium package. That's not much of an upgrade for thousands of dollars. All Mustangs from V6s to Shelbys have the same door panels and plastics. On the lot with the older Mustangs any material changes are not discernable. If they are indeed different then Ford didn't get their moneys worth (but they aren't, they just write that in magazines). You can go to the dealer and see yourself. You can even see that on eBay. And I can't imagine why I would want a muscle car with a backup camera. Maybe on my Escalade, but not on my muscle car. You also have to pay a good chunk of change for Sync. Same with nav. No thanks.

I built a GT Premium, not a standard GT. Manual, HIDs, Brembos, upgraded audio (all Camaros have a premium BA audio just like they all have OnStar nav) and that's the price for what I want and for what would be equivalent ot a 2SS. It costs more. The standard GT also doesn't come with the interior you're crowing about. But all Camaros come nicely trimmed and with a choice of leather or cloth. By your own admission Mustangs do not but if you want an equal car you pay more for the Ford. I remained unconvinced that you really get more for the Ford or that a Mustang GT should kiss 40,000 dollars where lots of other great performance cars can be had that are arguably better built, better inside and better all-around.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Concept car looks inside and out, style unlike anything else.

Tasteful ambient lighting creates a cool effect at night. You get firm, nicely bolstered, excellent front chairs to boot. Fatties need not apply.

Sharp, high res displays used for the cluster and head unit. Very contemporary and very easy on the eyes yet retains a simple look to the interior.

Compact and simple centerstack is easy to use and unique to the Camaro, as is the street wheel, door panels, door handles, shifter and other parts. When was the last time that ever happened on a Camaro?

Everything fits nice and tight.

Your standard 2010+ Mustang GT

All the style and ambience of a high school girls car, or a Hertz rental in Las Vegas.

Seats feature plenty of squish for people with plent of poundage.

GT Premium

Uh, high quality parts fitment there. Parts bin Ford stuff throughout.

Giant pixels.

Slippery leather, but it beats the mousefur cloth the car comes with. Seats are disappointingly soft and have zero bolstering for all that handling prowess we've read about.

The same hard elephant skin plastic Ford has been using in these since 2005. The dash and door panels are made out of it too. The only difference between the GT Premium and V6 is the leather insert.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 AM

first. i happen to love the interior on my gen. 4..second i totaly agree with TriShield.. hands down camaros interior is better then the mustang..i wouldnt buy the mustang cuz of the shaker stereo the sat radio..i have an amazing system in my car n i have sat radio that goes from car to car so why would i pay the extra $ for the stupid little things like that. and if ur pick ur car on what extras ur gunna get on the interior then i think thats stupid i dont care if the camaro is as ugly as people seem to think it is id still buy it over a mustang just from the power that comes from the engine.. its not about a nav system or camera in the back its about ur engine...i woul never walk up and be like yeah i want the mustang with 305hp cuz it has a shaker stereo n nav instead of the camaro with i believe 426hp...screw the nav give me the hp...i guees u rather have it look "pretty" then run like a beast..
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Again it's basically a piece of aluminum on the dashpad, that is the gist of the interior change in the premium package. That's not much of an upgrade for thousands of dollars. All Mustangs from V6s to Shelbys have the same door panels and plastics. On the lot with the older Mustangs any material changes are not discernable. If they are indeed different then Ford didn't get their moneys worth (but they aren't, they just write that in magazines). You can go to the dealer and see yourself. You can even see that on eBay. And I can't imagine why I would want a muscle car with a backup camera. Maybe on my Escalade, but not on my muscle car. You also have to pay a good chunk of change for Sync. Same with nav. No thanks.

I built a GT Premium, not a standard GT. Manual, HIDs, Brembos, upgraded audio (all Camaros have a premium BA audio just like they all have OnStar nav) and that's the price for what I want and for what would be equivalent ot a 2SS. It costs more. The standard GT also doesn't come with the interior you're crowing about. But all Camaros come nicely trimmed and with a choice of leather or cloth. By your own admission Mustangs do not but if you want an equal car you pay more for the Ford. I remained unconvinced that you really get more for the Ford or that a Mustang GT should kiss 40,000 dollars where lots of other great performance cars can be had that are arguably better built, better inside and better all-around.
Yeah your right, the premium package is just a piece of aluminum and nothing else and the Camaro interior is so perfect GM isn't going to redo it. Come on man, stop being so biased. I know this is a GM board, but damn. Also, it is not just about materials, the seating position in the new Camaro is horrible and the view out even worse if your tall like I am you feel like your sitting in a bathtub. I like the way the car looks, but just can't bring myself to buy one with all the issues it has. I will be in the market for a new toy soon and I wish the Camaro was nicer. It pains me to think I might prefer a GT, not just due to the better interior, but the 200 pounds less weight. I have sat in both cars, the Camaro is lacking, sorry. If GM does make the interior better and give it 25 more ponies I can get past the other shortcomings. But they better hurry....

And your pricing is still wrong on the Mustang. GT premium is $32,845 plus $850 delivery. So $33,695.
Add $1645 for the Brembo package is $35,340.
Then $525 for HIDs is $35,685 before any dealer discounts. Actually a little less the a SS loaded up the same. The Shaker 500 audio comes with the premium package, along with Sync, and sat radio. Plus a back-up cam, upgraded alarm and other things. I have been quoted under that price even with the 3:73's and Shaker 1000 added.

I am a GM guy through and through, and not defending Ford. But the Mustang is the better car, as just about all tests show. I just am not afraid to admit it. Maybe to some interiors don't matter. But after the POS 4th gen interior that I have lived with for 10 years I want a nice interior in my next toy car. Seems many others do, hence why the Mustang outsells the Camaro except for about a 6 month period when the Camaro first came out. And GM can make a nice interior in their average priced cars. I daily drive a new Malibu LTZ and the interior is damn nice. Wait until the 5.0 comes out, then the sales are gonna shift in a huge way. People aren't stupid, and are much more careful with their money now and they want whats better. Mark my words, Ford dealers will be crowded.

Last edited by SSNISTR; 05-03-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

the 4th gen firebird interior isnt too bad IMO, not the greatest but much better style then the 4th gen camaros IMO. Also i think the seats in the t/a are real comfortable.

Anyway new cars interiors are always getting better... but if your going to judge an interior on QUALITY judge it after 3-4 years and see how it holds up. Ive driven all kinds of "expensive" mercedes, infinities and BMW (ranging 4-6 years old) whose expensive interior rattled as much as a ford escort. I drove a ML430 whose steering column shakes and shudders so bad going over some pot wholes that it makes you wonder why people think foreign cars are so great. Ill keep buying american.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
the 4th gen firebird interior isnt too bad IMO, not the greatest but much better style then the 4th gen camaros IMO. Also i think the seats in the t/a are real comfortable.
Only advantage the T/A has over the Camaro is the seats are way better. The dashboards are the same (except '93-'96 Camaros, which are even worse) low-rent materials.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interiors fine, and its going to get better. sweet, but lets talk about the real news.

i will be out of college in 2012, so i could be in the market for a Z28 ....assuming my job offer at boeing is still there
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Concept car looks inside and out, style unlike anything else.

Tasteful ambient lighting creates a cool effect at night. You get firm, nicely bolstered, excellent front chairs to boot. Fatties need not apply.

Sharp, high res displays used for the cluster and head unit. Very contemporary and very easy on the eyes yet retains a simple look to the interior.

Compact and simple centerstack is easy to use and unique to the Camaro, as is the street wheel, door panels, door handles, shifter and other parts. When was the last time that ever happened on a Camaro?

Everything fits nice and tight.

Your standard 2010+ Mustang GT

All the style and ambience of a high school girls car, or a Hertz rental in Las Vegas.

Seats feature plenty of squish for people with plent of poundage.

GT Premium

Uh, high quality parts fitment there. Parts bin Ford stuff throughout.

Giant pixels.

Slippery leather, but it beats the mousefur cloth the car comes with. Seats are disappointingly soft and have zero bolstering for all that handling prowess we've read about.

The same hard elephant skin plastic Ford has been using in these since 2005. The dash and door panels are made out of it too. The only difference between the GT Premium and V6 is the leather insert.
Awesome photo comparison. Thanks for the post.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Speedometer in the camaro is almost useless, thankfully they have it digitally in the drivers information center.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the Camaro interior is just way too gimmicky. I'd say the quality of the plastic bits is about equal with Ford though. I just hate the gauge layout, the radio design, that stupid steering wheel that's impossible to grip. The worst offender is that green/blue lighting scheme, looks like a 90's rave party.

I will say that the Camaro has more supportive seats than the Mustang, but I really like the straightforward look of the Mustang better, its a lot less gimmcky/pretentious.

I actually hope that they use the gauge layout of a 4th gen Camaro. Those had the most legible, no-nonsense gauges out of any car I've ever been in.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I think the Camaro interior is just way too gimmicky. I'd say the quality of the plastic bits is about equal with Ford though. I just hate the gauge layout, the radio design, that stupid steering wheel that's impossible to grip. The worst offender is that green/blue lighting scheme, looks like a 90's rave party.

I will say that the Camaro has more supportive seats than the Mustang, but I really like the straightforward look of the Mustang better, its a lot less gimmcky/pretentious.

I actually hope that they use the gauge layout of a 4th gen Camaro. Those had the most legible, no-nonsense gauges out of any car I've ever been in.
Well said! I wish they had gone for a "minimalist" interior, but with quality materials. I think they overdid the "retro/new" thing in the interior.

Quick Reply: 2012 Camaro to get Interior Upgrade, Z28 News