Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Camaro VS Mustang sales for June.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
You said the last numbers you saw said the opposite. Id like to see those numbers.

Id gladly post them for you, but Im banned from C5 and cant get to where I know they are.
I looked and couldn't find it. Searched C5, nothing there.

But I did find this.

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Streak...ro-in-May.html
Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
This is a really stupid argument (on this board? NEVER! )...GM is going to be fine. If you don't like what they did, don't buy their cars. Regardless, they are on track to issue an IPO later this year, sales are up, they have great cars on the road and in the pipeline...no problems. Ford is less certain, but they too, for the first time in forever, have great cars on the road and in the pipeline. If you have a problem with buying from a company that was saved by the government, but have no problem buying from a company that is $34B in debt...then just buy a Ford. Either way I have no problem with you because you are buying american.

I'm not arguing about this anymore...I say the Camaro will hold the sales lead for the foreseeable future...it is the newer, "cooler" car...the convertible is coming soon, and an even more powerful Camaro is on the horizon. The current mustang, in the eyes of the general public, has been out for five years now. Yes I know the 2011 mustang is very different from the 05...thank you...but the general public (those people gobbling up the V6's) does not know or care. We will just have to wait and see if i'm right.
I'm glad that all the GM faithful have your opinions to lean on in these times. Predicting how either company will do in the future is just foolish ego IMO. Same goes for predicting which car will sell better in the long run.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I'm glad that all the GM faithful have your opinions to lean on in these times. Predicting how either company will do in the future is just foolish ego IMO. Same goes for predicting which car will sell better in the long run.
Why? The entire US economy is based on futures...why would anyone be surprised that Americans like to try to predict the future?

Oh and Americans with egos? That's just crazy talk.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Of course they are. Thanks to the American people who pay taxes.
Funny...I don't hear you saying this about any banks.

Did you not read the article I posted at all?
Yes I did. I also already knew just about everything presented therein. But thanks.

They've had great cars for a long long time now. I think you are confusing great with faster that bejeebus stock.
????

Name one great car they have produced between 2000 and 2007. I'll give you some help...the Focus, Fusion, and Five Hundred were all utterly uncompetitive cars. That pretty much leaves the Mustang which had no competition.

I don't recall saying I had a problem with buying GM. You made the 34b debt comment.
You obviously love Ford...so I threw you a bone there. I have no problem with Ford now...they are finally making good cars, and along with GM, are really starting to take a chunk out of the Toyota and Honda marketshare.

I think you underestimate the people.
Wow you really are able to keep a rosy-eyed view of this country. I'm happy for you, but the reality of the situation is that it is utterly impossible to underestimate "the people".

Weren't you also one of the people that claim that the new GT would be slower than the 5th gen?
Nope. I thought it would be faster than it is. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed in the car's straight line performance.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

I say the Camaro will hold the sales lead for the foreseeable future...
Quoted for future reference, next month the camaro should be in the sales lead correct?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Name one great car they have produced between 2000 and 2007. I'll give you some help...the Focus, Fusion, and Five Hundred were all utterly uncompetitive cars. That pretty much leaves the Mustang which had no competition.

For arguments sake, what cars did GM of North America produce from 2000-2007 that were "great?"
Old 07-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
For arguments sake, what cars did GM of North America produce from 2000-2007 that were "great?"
1) Corvette - no qualification or explanation needed there.
2) 1998-2002 f-body - not particularly high quality or fancy, but without a doubt the fastest thing you could buy for under $30k.
3) 2005-09 Pontiac G6 - great looking, quality (if monochromatic) interior, outsold the Camry for several months in 2006
4) 2003-07 Cadillac CTS - single handedly resurrected a brand...thanks to this car, Cadillac has, in less than a decade, gone from not-even-on-the-map, to leaving BMW and MB scrambling for answers in both sales and performance.
5) 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice - Ruled it's segment from introduction to discontinuation, faster, better handling, and cheaper than either the MX-5 or S2000.
6) 2005-09 Buick lacrosse - Won more awards for quality and reliability than any other car (funny you don't see that on the front page of any news outlets).

There are probably some that I am missing...but that should get the point across. I would also include the 2004-06 Pontiac GTO, but you said "GM of North America" and technically that excludes the GTO. In the time these cars existed, Ford had the Taurus (old one, not new one), Fusion, Five Hundred, Focus, and Mustang. The only one in that list that even deserves further discussion is the Mustang...which would be a great car (05-09) IF it wasn't being outperformed by the 2002 Camaro.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Quoted for future reference, next month the camaro should be in the sales lead correct?
It has been since may 09. By about 19,000 I believe.

GTO
CTS-V
Corvette
Sky
Solstice
H3
Old 07-04-2010, 03:32 PM
***Repost Police***

GTO doesn't count. The Sky/Solstice were compromised cars, and while the Redline/GXP cars were fast they missed their mark. Which is why they didn't sell well. Definitely looked good though. The Corvette has always been the Corvette; awesome even if it sucks. And I will concede the CTS, because it was/is a great car. The G6 was average at best, and the H2/H3 are jokes (IMO). And neither one of you understands that "fast" doesn't mean "great"; the F-body isn't a "great" car just because it's fast, and specifying "CTS-V" on your list excludes the rest of the CTS lineup. My point wasn't that Ford is better than GM, it was that they both are just recently becoming what they should have been decades ago.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Restricted User

GTO doesn't count. The Sky/Solstice were compromised cars, and while the Redline/GXP cars were fast they missed their mark.
How, exactly? What should we have expected that wasn't delivered?

The G6 was average at best
Remember the G6 competed with "average" cars. In this category, as the "general public" has proven, it excelled.

and the H2/H3 are jokes (IMO).
On the H2, I couldn't agree with you more. The H3 however, was valid. They really should have skipped over the H2 and just built the H3 as the H2.

And neither one of you understands that "fast" doesn't mean "great"; the F-body isn't a "great" car just because it's fast, and specifying "CTS-V" on your list excludes the rest of the CTS lineup.
Fast can be great. In the case of the LS1 f-bodies, and 03-04 cobra...I would agree that both of those cars deserve "great" status just because they delivered mounds of power for very little money...and because NOTHING else even came close.

Perhaps we just disagree on what makes a great car. I don't use the same criteria in every category.

My point wasn't that Ford is better than GM, it was that they both are just recently becoming what they should have been decades ago.
I agree with you with one modification...Ford is "just now becoming what it should have been decades ago". GM started about 5 years ago. And here I am speaking in terms of offerings, not so much the company itself...because both leave alot to be desired in that category.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:24 PM
***Repost Police***

How, exactly? What should we have expected that wasn't delivered?

Remember the G6 competed with "average" cars. In this category, as the "general public" has proven, it excelled.

On the H2, I couldn't agree with you more. The H3 however, was valid. They really should have skipped over the H2 and just built the H3 as the H2.

Fast can be great. In the case of the LS1 f-bodies, and 03-04 cobra...I would agree that both of those cars deserve "great" status just because they delivered mounds of power for very little money...and because NOTHING else even came close.

Perhaps we just disagree on what makes a great car. I don't use the same criteria in every category.

I agree with you with one modification...Ford is "just now becoming what it should have been decades ago". GM started about 5 years ago. And here I am speaking in terms of offerings, not so much the company itself...because both leave alot to be desired in that category.
The Sky/Solstice were nice enough. BUT, the cheap one was SLOW (slower than the Miata), and the fast one was pretty expensive. It was decent at everything, but it didn't excel at any one thing. It certainly has a following, but most people just like them because they look nice (The Sky especially). As far as the F-body is concerned, the engines are great. The car itself is quite mediocre, just like the Mustang.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Funny...I don't hear you saying this about any banks.
Speaking of the bank bailouts? That was lame too. But what does that have to do with GM or Ford?
Yes I did. I also already knew just about everything presented therein. But thanks.
So it's doing better than any of the big 3 in the US.
????
What part of what I said confused you?
AGAIN there is a difference between PERFORMANCE and QUALITY.
You obviously love Ford...so I threw you a bone there.
I'm 37 and I've owned ONE Ford in my life. And please, keep your bone to yourself.
I have no problem with Ford now...they are finally making good cars, and along with GM, are really starting to take a chunk out of the Toyota and Honda marketshare.
Both companies have been making good cars the past decade or more.
Wow you really are able to keep a rosy-eyed view of this country. I'm happy for you, but the reality of the situation is that it is utterly impossible to underestimate "the people".
Rosie eyed? Naw, just being realistic.
Nope. I thought it would be faster than it is. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed in the car's straight line performance.
So you must think the Camaro is a dud too since it's slower?
It's already outselling the Camaro.

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Streak...ro-in-May.html

STREAK OVER: MUSTANG OUTSELLS CAMARO IN MAY

It was a short time at the top of the sales charts for the Camaro. Ford moved 1,l294 more Mustangs than GM did Camaros in May. It is the first time that the Camaro has been off of the number one spot since it was introduced back into the market last year. A couple of reasons are being touted as the keys to success for Ford.

So the Mustang is already outselling the Camaro.

Last edited by Ke^in; 07-04-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

You posted well known news. Congrats.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

If it's so well known, why are people still claiming the Camaro is outselling the Mustang in here?

Last edited by Ke^in; 07-04-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Seems as though some people haven't heard, but the camaro will be back in the lead next month, right?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:18 PM
***Repost Police***

They dont have a song called Camaro Sally.

And for v8 models, the SS is outselling the v6 models by quite a bit, where as typically for the mustang the v6 keeps the sales strong. I still havent seen a 5.0 on the street. Or really many 2010 gts.
Just re-read this... ever heard the song "Little Red Corvette?"
Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Seems as though some people haven't heard, but the camaro will be back in the lead next month, right?
The Mustang has been beating it since at least May.
Just re-read this... ever heard the song "Little Red Corvette?"
Old 07-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Corvette - no qualification or explanation needed there.
2) 1998-2002 f-body - not particularly high quality or fancy, but without a doubt the fastest thing you could buy for under $30k.
3) 2005-09 Pontiac G6 - great looking, quality (if monochromatic) interior, outsold the Camry for several months in 2006
4) 2003-07 Cadillac CTS - single handedly resurrected a brand...thanks to this car, Cadillac has, in less than a decade, gone from not-even-on-the-map, to leaving BMW and MB scrambling for answers in both sales and performance.
5) 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice - Ruled it's segment from introduction to discontinuation, faster, better handling, and cheaper than either the MX-5 or S2000.
6) 2005-09 Buick lacrosse - Won more awards for quality and reliability than any other car (funny you don't see that on the front page of any news outlets).

There are probably some that I am missing...but that should get the point across. I would also include the 2004-06 Pontiac GTO, but you said "GM of North America" and technically that excludes the GTO. In the time these cars existed, Ford had the Taurus (old one, not new one), Fusion, Five Hundred, Focus, and Mustang. The only one in that list that even deserves further discussion is the Mustang...which would be a great car (05-09) IF it wasn't being outperformed by the 2002 Camaro.
I agree with everything here except the bold.

I also wanna point out that up until the new redesign, the Lacrosse winning all those quality awards was just a shiny 20 year old w-body.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Even if the mustang beats the camaro for 2010 who really cares? Did you see us gloating that the camaro beat the mustang every month since it was out until may?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if the mustang beats the camaro for 2010 who really cares? Did you see us gloating that the camaro beat the mustang every month since it was out until may?
Yea, just about.

Seriously though, who does care about which car sells better in a given year? It doesn't have any impact on the car that's sitting in my drive way right now. It's just another thing for Ford and GM guys to gloat over. Nothing but fanboy fodder.

Quick Reply: Camaro VS Mustang sales for June.