Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2011 GT500 vs Corvete GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:23 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
What makes you think it won't be under 4000lbs? I consider the under-4000lb attribute to be a given. I also consider the magneheteorogical damper system to be a given in this car...which is why I fully expect it to be the better performer all around...albeit just edging out the GT500 in all performance categories, but that's about the best you can expect these days with these nearly-4000lb cars with ungodly amounts of HP.

Keep in mind that the GT500 isn't really all that much faster than a standard SS. The GT500 does run about even with the CTS-V which has the same engine and damper system that the Z28 will have. The Z28 will be 300-400lbs lighter than the CTS-V however. The math is pretty simple from there.
Going from Mustang GT to GT500 gains you nearly 300lbs... I can't see it being too different than that with the Camaro SS vs. Z28. If the car gained 200lbs, it's at nearly 4,100lbs.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What makes you think it won't be under 4000lbs? I consider the under-4000lb attribute to be a given. I also consider the magneheteorogical damper system to be a given in this car...which is why I fully expect it to be the better performer all around...albeit just edging out the GT500 in all performance categories, but that's about the best you can expect these days with these nearly-4000lb cars with ungodly amounts of HP.

Keep in mind that the GT500 isn't really all that much faster than a standard SS. The GT500 does run about even with the CTS-V which has the same engine and damper system that the Z28 will have. The Z28 will be 300-400lbs lighter than the CTS-V however. The math is pretty simple from there.
All these things you believe about the Z28 might end up being true. But the downside to that is, you may end up with a much pricier Camaro than what you're hoping for. My guess is that GM is going to give this halo Camaro all they can without it overshooting the Shelby's pricing too much. I don't know if you can do lightweight components, LSA drivetrain, AND the CTS-V's magnetic suspension control without ending up with a car that's well north of 48K. But....I guess we'll see. Will be quite a coup if GM pulls it off though.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
All these things you believe about the Z28 might end up being true. But the downside to that is, you may end up with a much pricier Camaro than what you're hoping for. My guess is that GM is going to give this halo Camaro all they can without it overshooting the Shelby's pricing too much. I don't know if you can do lightweight components, LSA drivetrain, AND the CTS-V's magnetic suspension control without ending up with a car that's well north of 48K. But....I guess we'll see. Will be quite a coup if GM pulls it off though.
It's going to be a CTS-V coupe de-cadillac'd. That will EASILY remove 200-300lbs from the CTS-V coupe's weight. Even on the low end of that spectrum the Z28 ends up firmly under 4000lbs.

Subtract all of Cadillac's high tech toys (and their 80lb seats), and the $15k price premium associated with said toys, and you can see clearly where the Z28 will sit. It's perfect, and very GM-like.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 PM
***Repost Police***

With the Camaro SS being nearly 3,900lbs already, I just don't see the Z28 weighing less than 4,000lbs. At least not with equipment/features that would allow it to be competitive with the GT500.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Bwahaha, you're kidding right?
Sure ain't!!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
You're correct based on what's available as a reference out there.
The only official lap time for the 2011 GT500 is a 2:58.48 at VIR, done by Ford themselves.
In contrast, the 2010 C6 GS ran a 2:58.8; driven by C&D.

In fact, the GT500 is barely slower than a C6 Z06 tested by C&D in '05. The C6Z ran a 2:58.2.

All three are very close on a track that represents a pretty good track capability benchmark.
the Z hasnt been updated since it came out. the C6 got the GS package which is basically a steel framed ZO6 with a dry sump LS3.

the C6 Carbon would be a great LS7 platform (ZR1 minus the LS9)
Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by fspeedster
Sure ain't!!
If you want to think I'm a Ford nutswinger, you go right ahead buddy
Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's going to be a CTS-V coupe de-cadillac'd. That will EASILY remove 200-300lbs from the CTS-V coupe's weight. Even on the low end of that spectrum the Z28 ends up firmly under 4000lbs.

Subtract all of Cadillac's high tech toys (and their 80lb seats), and the $15k price premium associated with said toys, and you can see clearly where the Z28 will sit. It's perfect, and very GM-like.
I wasn't talking about the Caddy's curb weight, I was talking about the fact that you're already starting off with a 3870 lb Camaro SS. Unless light weight materials are used to offset the additional equipment that it will sport, the Z28 will get heavier. I think the LSA alone will add around an extra 100 lbs to the car vs the LS3. My guess is that GM will also likely engineer in additional bolstering to the car's chassis to help it cope with the added power. And let's not forget the beefier suspension components (since this car is obviously going to try to be a more spirited handler than its LS3 lil brother). So you add all that up and you can see why we're concerned about the future Z's curb weight.

I'm not saying that they can't keep it under 4000 lbs, but I fear what kind of cost hike would be associated with that engineering feat.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very impressed with the 2011 Gt500. Big improvement apparently over the 2010 version. Not bad at all for a Solid rear axle car!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I wasn't talking about the Caddy's curb weight, I was talking about the fact that you're already starting off with a 3870 lb Camaro SS. Unless light weight materials are used to offset the additional equipment that it will sport, the Z28 will get heavier. I think the LSA alone will add around an extra 100 lbs to the car vs the LS3. My guess is that GM will also likely engineer in additional bolstering to the car's chassis to help it cope with the added power. And let's not forget the beefier suspension components (since this car is obviously going to try to be a more spirited handler than its LS3 lil brother). So you add all that up and you can see why we're concerned about the future Z's curb weight.

I'm not saying that they can't keep it under 4000 lbs, but I fear what kind of cost hike would be associated with that engineering feat.
No I see what you are saying. However, it's quite a bit of speculation to just guess what all those added components will weigh, and wonder what they may remove or re-engineer to save weight. We really don't have sufficient info to even venture a realistic guess. What we do know is the weight of an existing example of this exact same platform with this exact same drivetrain. We all know how GM works, and as such it's a given that the Z28 is going to be a CTS-V coupe "de-cadillac'd". I don't think anyone would argue that. Now, while we don't know the weights of all the added stuff that the cadillac has that the Z28 will not, it's a VERY SAFE guess to say 200lbs minimum. With that, the car is already under 4000lbs. There could be even more weight to be saved in the de-luxifying process, but for arguments sake i'm staying on the conservative side.

Giving credit to others' arguments that it's GOT to be heavier than the SS, and combining that with my above points, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3900-3950 is going to be my official guess. Though I woudln't necessarily agree that it HAS to be heavier than the SS, it seems the safe argument at this point.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Can we get a pool of some sort going?

Im all in for the Z28 weighing over 2 tons when it comes out. I just dont see it being lighter then the SS with all of the added equipment and bolsters for power etc. Guess we will see. Soon? haha
Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

This thread was about the GS vs GT500..............
Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94Mustang302ci
Around the skidpad, the SVT suspension worked its magic and resulted in exactly 1.00g, while the Grand Sport could only manage 0.96g. Think about that: A Mustang out-handling a Corvette! Since the Shelby’s suspension was designed more for the track than the road, it did give up some stability in our slalom, requiring a deft touch to keep the rear wheels planted; hence the reason the Shelby couldn’t quite match the Grand Sport’s slalom speed.

Someone confuses grip in a circle with handling

With so many Mustangs out there with so many names added to them, Roush, Steeda ect, I wouldn't even hesitate to take the Corvette over it still.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT500 vs Corvete GS