Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

UAW Pickets Themselves

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
orangeSS logic = Makes darn good sense.

There I fixed it for you. You are aware the cars in your signature were built by union workers aren't you. Talk about failed logic. Maybe you should spend your money on an import next time. Perhaps Kia or Hundai, the wages those guys make should be more to your liking.

Last edited by Lethal Z; 10-18-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Why is it that these "better trained, more qualified" workers are afraid of a free market?

Whats wrong with letting the market determine what someone should be paid rather than artificially raising wages? Get rid of the unions and we'll see what employers are willing to pay for the work these people do.

We do let the free market work. Its called NAFTA. As a result we now have auto plants in Mexico where the workers build cars they cant afford to own. Thats the nature of corporations. Its already been stated, they have an obligation to the share holders. Therefore any expense is a target of management. Case in point...

In 1999 CASE IH merged with New Holland and passed on its pension responsibilities to an outside firm who then canceled payments for all union CASE retirees that retired under their contract. When the UAW took them to court the firm fought for four years to have the case moved Wisconsin in hopes to have an anti-union judge hear the case. Instead it was ordered to be remain in Michigan and the UAW won the ruling. Only the contract those workers bargained for saved their benefits that CASE IH promises them. So when people like to claim that the days of corporate cruelty are over I often wonder just how close people truly examine free market.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wannabess00
We do let the free market work. Its called NAFTA. As a result we now have auto plants in Mexico where the workers build cars they cant afford to own. Thats the nature of corporations. Its already been stated, they have an obligation to the share holders. Therefore any expense is a target of management. Case in point...

In 1999 CASE IH merged with New Holland and passed on its pension responsibilities to an outside firm who then canceled payments for all union CASE retirees that retired under their contract. When the UAW took them to court the firm fought for four years to have the case moved Wisconsin in hopes to have an anti-union judge hear the case. Instead it was ordered to be remain in Michigan and the UAW won the ruling. Only the contract those workers bargained for saved their benefits that CASE IH promises them. So when people like to claim that the days of corporate cruelty are over I often wonder just how close people truly examine free market.

I used to be part of a union and I can say IT SUCKED! the only good was we got our raises on time like clock work.. even the **** off got the raises but when the company closed guess what??? lot of good that did
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal Z
There I fixed it for you. You are aware the cars in your signature were built by union workers aren't you. Talk about failed logic. Maybe you should spend your money on an import next time. Perhaps Kia or Hundai, the wages those guys make should be more to your liking.
Best post of the whole thread. There is ONE car in my sig, not carSSSS. Union workers skipped grammer class I suppose. And I DD a Hyundai Betty Boop.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That didnt answer any of my questions.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
I used to be part of a union and I can say IT SUCKED! the only good was we got our raises on time like clock work.. even the **** off got the raises but when the company closed guess what??? lot of good that did
Now THIS, is reality.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

That didnt answer any of my questions.
gimme a question you want answered?

Last edited by wannabess00; 10-18-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:57 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
So it was your fault that the company closed? Why didnt your contract have a clause that prevent closure?

Last edited by wannabess00; 10-18-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How would you know that exactly? The fight to maintain a decent wage has always been under attack where the hell have you been? You ever stop and ask youself why we as a country went from the manufacturing leader of the world to a county that now has almost no manufacturing. Because its cheaper to build it in a third world country. We will never be able to compete with a country that pays there people 3 cents an hour and no benefits. Do you see the price an anything dropping as a result? If anything its going up and continues to go up as CEOs and fat cats do everything they can to stick another nickle in there own pocket. The middle class is being destroyed and its gonna happen right under the noses of peope just like you, why because the mindless think that unions are no longer needed and big business is gonna take care of you. There gonna take care of you alright, right from the rear. Wake up people, the war ain't over its just gettin started.
I would start with a minimum wage requirement that means even a high school drop out will make a set amount at least. Yes, they are below the poverty line but his wages in a free market would increase as his/her skills make him/her a more attractive employee. As he accrues experience and builds skill sets he will be moved up the ladder. He would have to show that he is valuable and that he is worth not only keeping but is a asset to his company. In a union none of that matters. As long as he pays his union dues and shows up for work he will be protected. He will not have to prove his worth over another. He will not have to exceed expectations. He is safe. As long as the place hes working is open at least. Unions protect the ones that wouldn't pull their weight and if someone does come in and performs beyond expectations someone pull them to the side and tells them to pull it back a bit and not overachieve. When unions were established there wasn't a minimum wage, there wasn't OSHA or any other watch dog group to look out for employee welfare. I would say large steps have been taken to improve employee welfare and those first steps were in part because of unions. There is a huge number of people who live a comfortable life without having a union job. If unions were so popular still you would hear of new ones being formed especially now. Instead we have a show on NBC making fun of outsourcing and politicians grandstanding with their views on illegal immigrants working in this country. Perhaps its a culture issue. How much does it cost a union to have workers picket a company using non union labor? Or rent billboard space to point out a company that uses non union labor? Obviously if it comes down to spin control between large companies and union and unions are getting bad publicity from better spin control by big business then perhaps the unions should pick their fights better or do a better job at showing that they are truly fighting against a evil corporation and are at a disadvantage when it comes to wages, benefits and that they are not the bad guy.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How would you know that exactly? The fight to maintain a decent wage has always been under attack where the hell have you been? You ever stop and ask youself why we as a country went from the manufacturing leader of the world to a county that now has almost no manufacturing. Because its cheaper to build it in a third world country. We will never be able to compete with a country that pays there people 3 cents an hour and no benefits.
And how are the unions protecting us from that? Legal extortion that allows arm twisting of a company to pay a mob to go back to work. Any union in this job market that goes on strike should immediately be replaced with those currently on unemployment.

Do you see the price an anything dropping as a result? If anything its going up and continues to go up as CEOs and fat cats do everything they can to stick another nickle in there own pocket. The middle class is being destroyed and its gonna happen right under the noses of peope just like you, why because the mindless think that unions are no longer needed and big business is gonna take care of you. There gonna take care of you alright, right from the rear. Wake up people, the war ain't over its just gettin started.

While I don't share your affinity for unions I fail to see how I'm mindless. I don't see unions saving us from overpaid CEO's or outsourcing. We let our greed take over instead of our ability to innovate and motivate. We hand out trophies to children just for participating. We reward mediocrity. We don't rise to anything. We lead the world in science innovations for the first 60 years of the last decade and watched the world catch up and pass us in the last 40. Unions protect lazy and unproductive people. They encourage the overachievers to slow down so they don't make the status quo look bad. If they can't become more productive and efficient they will find themselves the same way a lot of others are, unemployed.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
well, in alot of cases union companies are better trained.

can you show me a study that says most construction projects go to union co. over non union?
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/02/inf...-workers-only/

It shows that the president is "encouraging" unions be sought to work on projects. Not forcing but its politics.

but again, why does every time unions are brought up it becomes a bangwagon of anti union posts of mostly stereotypes and nonsense?
Why is anyone who offers a non union view full of nonsense? The example of the Illinois construction crew on strike is not a valid argument?

if a union worker makes more than a job someone thinks should get more thats how it goes. no need to badmouth that person because they have a job where theyre represented and another field isnt. thats how it goes. live with it. no one forces anyone to buy anything made or built by unions. SO DONT if you have a problem with it.

talk to your local politician or your state reps if you have a problem where your tax money is spent. good luck with that though lol.
If "thats how it goes" then why do unions picket companies and rent billboards to point out contracts they didn't win? Why do they pull the "look, look this company found a less expensive alternative to us, hate them for it" attitude. Non union companies don't pull that stunt. I make perfectly valid arguments you only respond with union rhetoric no facts.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know its funny to me to listen to some of you bash unions and then turn right around and support the cars that they build. Who are you having never worked in a factory to sit back and determine what sombody else should make. So what they make $30 dollars an hour, if thats what they bargain for then thats what they should make. Theres a ton of training that these guys go through, lots of skill goes into what they do. How dare you attack them. You think the price of the car is gonna go down if there pay gets cut in half? Get real, the CEO's will take that money and put it in there own pocket. How about supporting the working guy. Union people spend the money they make in your neighborhoods. The money that these hardworking people make keep economys moving. Quit being a f*cking hater and support them.
If a non UAW company made my car I would have bought it. Cars are not the same as Blueray players. Tons of training? Really? All of them? No. Case in point, the guy who holds the slow/stop sign in a construction zone. Yeah I bet it was 6 weeks of book study and 3 weeks of on the job training there. Or the USPS clerk that puts a package on a scale and tells you what the postage is. Yup. Its a mind bender alright. Welding, is a skill. So is plumbing and carpentry, and many others but a lot of these "careers" are not skill intensive. That is where some of the friction comes from. These union people, do they volunteer more than non union people? Do they donate more? Do they enrich the community? So because I don't belong to a union my money is not being spent in my neighborhood? If I buy a cube of Pepsi and a union employee bought a cube of Pepsi his/her money helps the community more than mine?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, in alot of cases union companies are better trained.

maybe but i would rather leave it open to everyone so the best product can be chosen.

can you show me a study that says most construction projects go to union co. over non union?

maybe not most in the USA but here in San Diego they have a BS agreement so most do here.

if a union worker makes more than a job someone thinks should get more thats how it goes. no need to badmouth that person because they have a job where theyre represented and another field isnt. thats how it goes. live with it. no one forces anyone to buy anything made or built by unions. SO DONT if you have a problem with it.

Well i try not to but you cant always do that.

talk to your local politician or your state reps if you have a problem where your tax money is spent. good luck with that though lol.

It will be on the ballot this election to help eliminate the unions getting the crack at everything.
there you go
Old 10-19-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So because he feels that unions are a negative he should buy non union products only? Your so pro union where is your union made TV, blueray player, game console, the computer you're using to login from or any other household electronics? Who's making them? There's your failed logic.

Was your house made by a union? Is everything in your life dictated by your union views? The world is not black and white it has shades of gray. Next to nothing is 100% union and parts things like cars likely include parts from non union companies like car stereos.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So it was your fault that the company closed? Why didnt your contract have a clause that prevent closure?
So a company has a product that is not selling and because its made in a factory that signed a clause to prevent closure they should dream up a product for that factory to produce? That's not good business at all.

They used to make Covettes in St. Louis. Build quality was horrible. G.M. opened the Bowling Green plant and build quality when up. Had G.M. had to honor such a agreement then the quality likely would not have improved. How is employing incompetent workers a good business practice?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darksol
So because he feels that unions are a negative he should buy non union products only? Your so pro union where is your union made TV, blueray player, game console, the computer you're using to login from or any other household electronics? Who's making them? There's your failed logic.

Was your house made by a union? Is everything in your life dictated by your union views? The world is not black and white it has shades of gray. Next to nothing is 100% union and parts things like cars likely include parts from non union companies like car stereos.
you need to stop making sense
Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/02/inf...-workers-only/

It shows that the president is "encouraging" unions be sought to work on projects. Not forcing but its politics.

Why is anyone who offers a non union view full of nonsense? The example of the Illinois construction crew on strike is not a valid argument?

If "thats how it goes" then why do unions picket companies and rent billboards to point out contracts they didn't win? Why do they pull the "look, look this company found a less expensive alternative to us, hate them for it" attitude. Non union companies don't pull that stunt. I make perfectly valid arguments you only respond with union rhetoric no facts.
theyre not doing anything wrong theyre allowed to picket as long as its withhin the law. alot of times here when malls go up or are being expanded theyre using southern labor non union labor at a non union rate. i guess its ok to expect to have a local economy support you but not feel any obligation to support it? BS IMO.

in that link the president isnt forcing anyone to do anything so that was weak.

i never said non union views are full of nonsense but alot of it is.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 10-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 180ls1
there you go
there i go nothing lol.

first you dont know that the best contractor wasnt chosen and saying it goes on in SD doesnt mean everywhere.

perfect example of non union nonsense lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

So a company has a product that is not selling and because its made in a factory that signed a clause to prevent closure they should dream up a product for that factory to produce? That's not good business at all.

They used to make Covettes in St. Louis. Build quality was horrible. G.M. opened the Bowling Green plant and build quality when up. Had G.M. had to honor such a agreement then the quality likely would not have improved. How is employing incompetent workers a good business practice?
and yet Its still assembled by UAW workers. you lose.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why is it that these "better trained, more qualified" workers are afraid of a free market?

Whats wrong with letting the market determine what someone should be paid rather than artificially raising wages? Get rid of the unions and we'll see what employers are willing to pay for the work these people do. If they really are worth that much more they wouldn't need a union to represent them, they would earn and keep these jobs by their own merits.

You complain about a "living wage" but artificially raising wages of workers increases the cost of living. Say all the bread bakers go on strike because they think they should be paid more? Guess what the price of bread will go up if we have to pay the bakers 15% more.

If you think you should be paid more by all means quit and go get that job, because if you are really worth more someone will pay it. Or we could unionize and artificially raise or wages through extortion...
youre right. next time i hope your house is wired or your plumbing is fixed by a poorly trained illegal because you want a lower rate think training by a union that demandsa better wage is stupid lol.

do you want or get raises at your job? who does that get passed onto? i dont think youre worth that and should take a paycut.

Quick Reply: UAW Pickets Themselves