Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Muscle Cars Buck Downward Trend in Coupe and Sports-Car Sales

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The Corvette becomes more invisible to supercars because of how many you see on the street (you know, because of how well they sell).
I see objectivity is not a strong suit when it comes to the Corvette.

Yes, the current Corvette has a few good things about it. But... it also has a slew of serious issues resulting in it's lowest sales since 1961. All of which I pointed out. You can apologize for them all day long but that does nothing to fix them. Hopefully GM does, I like the Corvette and want it to succeed and it really deserves better. Right now it is far (and falling farther each year) from where it really needs to be. There's no excuse for the styling, terrible materials they make it out of, and shoddy workmanship. Especially for what GM is asking for the car. Especially when other cars they make are much better and cost less.

The ZR1 is especially disappointing in that it's literally a ZO6 with some tacked on, poorly integrated body parts, extremely expensive brakes and a blower. That's it? And it's over 100k? They didn't even bother to put a steering wheel gripped for human hands or proper high performance seats in it. Either they were too cheap to spend the money on Recaros (which they do bother to put in the CTS-V) or they figured the car would be purchased by posers (which is also true).

In contrast the Viper has exceptional seats in in standard form. Chrysler even gave that car some very special and focused special editions in making it a honed and proper beast, the last and greatest being the ACR-X. Ford's flagship was a new car from the ground up that paid proper homage to the legandary GT. Side-by-side there's no question which one is the better supercar and more exotic. Where was the proper homage to the ZR1 in the modern ZR1? Just a blower doesn't cut it.

Look at it this way. The Corvette is GM's flagship car. Yet it exhibits all the bad things that GM has been notorious for from the inside out. For a flagship and having a model that is GM's most expensive car it sets a bad example.

If GM put half the effort into the Corvette they did with something like the CTS-V or the Camaro or the same effort Ford put into the Ford GT it would be the car it should be, a Hell of a car.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield

Yes, the current Corvette has a few good things about it. But... it also has a slew of serious issues resulting in it's lowest sales since 1961. All of which I pointed out. You can apologize for them all day long but that does nothing to fix them. Hopefully GM does, I like the Corvette and want it to succeed and it really deserves better. Right now it is far (and falling farther each year) from where it really needs to be. There's no excuse for the styling, terrible materials they make it out of, and shoddy workmanship. Especially for what GM is asking for the car. Especially when other cars they make are much better and cost less.

The ZR1 is especially disappointing in that it's literally a ZO6 with some tacked on, poorly integrated body parts, extremely expensive brakes and a blower. That's it? And it's over 100k? They didn't even bother to put a steering wheel gripped for human hands or proper high performance seats in it. Either they were too cheap to spend the money on Recaros (which they do bother to put in the CTS-V) or they figured the car would be purchased by posers (which is also true).

In contrast the Viper has exceptional seats in in standard form. Chrysler even gave that car some very special and focused special editions in making it a honed and proper beast, the last and greatest being the ACR-X. Ford's flagship was a new car from the ground up that paid proper homage to the legandary GT. Side-by-side there's no question which one is the better supercar and more exotic. Where was the proper homage to the ZR1 in the modern ZR1? Just a blower doesn't cut it.

Look at it this way. The Corvette is GM's flagship car. Yet it exhibits all the bad things that GM has been notorious for from the inside out. For a flagship and having a model that is GM's most expensive car it sets a bad example.

If GM put half the effort into the Corvette they did with something like the CTS-V or the Camaro or the same effort Ford put into the Ford GT it would be the car it should be, a Hell of a car.
My God, I believe you are truly delusional.

But no matter, everything in your post continues to be nothing more than your subjective opinion.

As much as you seem to think the rest of us are apologizing for the modern Corvette, I think you have developed tunnel vision that sees only an '84 Cross-fire injected POS. You are just as bad as your accusations towards the rest of us; you only see what you want to see.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Restricted User

Wow, dude...what planet do you live on?

This post couldn't possibly be farther off-base. It's hard to find truth with all the bullshit loaded in there.

I can't take anything away from the Ford GT in terms of concept...Ford had a great idea and put out a great offering...but it was and still is a POS. Poor build quality, shitty ergonomics, and despite all it had going for it, performance was really sub-par (though not by alot i'll admit).

If you think a Viper has a better interior than a C6, you clearly haven't spent much time in one. Yeah it's greatly improved from the first generation, but it's still not up to Vette standards (and that's not to say that the Vette is great on fit and finish, it's not). The Viper's seats may look great, but they are anything but comfortable and supportive.

There's no question that despite the fact that the C6 interior is not great, it's easily the best of the big three supercars.

Is there a bullshit quota in this section of the forum? It seems that the closer we get to the end of the year, the more ridiculous the claims get in this section.

Wow.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

The ZR1 is especially disappointing in that it's literally a ZO6 with some tacked on, poorly integrated body parts, extremely expensive brakes and a blower.
Yup, all they added was a blower, some funky body parts, and brakes.

Because a car that is right up there with the supercars costing many times more is not a hell of a car?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the Corvette just needs a bit of a refresh. The C6 has been around for a few years, why buy a new one that is the same as one a couple years old, basically? Once the C7 comes that should help.

I see a lot of pointless arguing over it in this thread, enough I didn't bother reading all 3 pages.

For the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger sales, I'm happy on that
Old 12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
There's the comment about the "great" Porsche interior again...where do people get this from? Porsche's interiors SUCK. They look like they are right out of the 80's, with more monotone then the 4th gen WS6, and styling that could pass for a Boeing design. Hardly a benchmark to compare anything.

And yes, for a Corvette to do what it can do at the price it does it at, something has to give. The interior is what gives. There's really nothing wrong with the C6 interior, it's very nice. However it does not compete with the interiors that the C6's performance puts it up against. But again, those interiors are in cars that retail for at least double what the C6 does.

I've always thought Porsche interiors were very nice... that's from a Cayman S.
Originally Posted by gocartone
The looks might not be your thing, but the build quailty is miles ahead of the C6.
Yep. And I don't necessarily agree with everything TriShield said, but he's not nearly as "crazy" as a few of you are making him out to be. He has some very valid points.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a bullshit quota in this section of the forum? It seems that the closer we get to the end of the year, the more ridiculous the claims get in this section.

Wow.
I wouldn't cast too many stones at windows, dude. You've been a very high profile fanboy in this section for a while now. Only difference is that you play up the weaknesses of other brands while playing down the cons of GM products. I don't see eye to eye with Trishield on alot of things, but I do agree with him that GM should be looking to go more upscale with the Corvette. They've got the Camaro back now, there's no excuse for them trying to keep the Corvette so low cost/low rent. Too many here are just willing to except it as is because it's cheap and more excessible to them.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I don't see eye to eye with Trishield on alot of things, but I do agree with him that GM should be looking to go more upscale with the Corvette. They've got the Camaro back now, there's no excuse for them trying to keep the Corvette so low cost/low rent. Too many here are just willing to except it as is because it's cheap and more excessible to them.
But that's what the Corvette has always been, a bargain sports car that could keep up with the best of them. If they want to do something more upscale they can't call it a Corvette, nobody is going to pay $150k+ for a Corvette and they won’t be making an upscale car with ZR1 specs for less than that. And even if the Corvette is having a hard time selling right now they are still selling about 50 or more of them for every Viper sold, it's not like they aren't selling at all.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by gocartone
But that's what the Corvette has always been, a bargain sports car that could keep up with the best of them. If they want to do something more upscale they can't call it a Corvette, nobody is going to pay $150k+ for a Corvette and they won’t be making an upscale car with ZR1 specs for less than that. And even if the Corvette is having a hard time selling right now they are still selling about 50 or more of them for every Viper sold, it's not like they aren't selling at all.
That's actually pretty recent, in the grand scheme of things.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I wouldn't cast too many stones at windows, dude. You've been a very high profile fanboy in this section for a while now. Only difference is that you play up the weaknesses of other brands while playing down the cons of GM products. I don't see eye to eye with Trishield on alot of things, but I do agree with him that GM should be looking to go more upscale with the Corvette. They've got the Camaro back now, there's no excuse for them trying to keep the Corvette so low cost/low rent. Too many here are just willing to except it as is because it's cheap and more excessible to them.
If i'm a fanboy, then i'm a domestic fanboy, not a GM fanboy. Oh and i'm going to continue shattering windows in this section as long as I keep seeing this kind of bullshit. If you don't like it, well then come up with a good argument.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I've always thought Porsche interiors were very nice... that's from a Cayman S.
That does look very nice. The Cayman is also the only (not hero-level) Porsche that I like the exterior styling of.

Here's what i'm used to from porsche:

You can't tell me that's any better than this:
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM
***Repost Police***

Just from looking at it, I like the Porsche interior better. And the fact that I know the entire interior is wrapped in leather just makes it better. Like everybody knows, there is a reason that the Corvette only costs $45k. And it isn't the powertrain. You can't praise a car for being a performance bargain, and then complain when people point out the car's shortcomings. I absolutely LOVE Corvettes, and have for about half my life. Hell, my favorite modern Corvette (that I have a chance of buying in the next 5 years) is the LT4 model, because I like C4s. I know ALL of the C4's shortcomings, and I still love them. So I don't jump down people's throats when they point out that the chassis is as stiff as a wet noodle and the interior is a complete and utter clusterfuck. Same with my mom's '01 Z51/6spd; the interior is terrible, it rattles every time you breathe at it wrong, the targa top creaks when you hit a pebble in the road... but I still love the car. Cars are a lot like women in that aspect, I suppose. They don't have to be supermodels with PhD's for you to love them.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Restricted User

Just from looking at it, I like the Porsche interior better. And the fact that I know the entire interior is wrapped in leather just makes it better.
The entire interior is not wrapped in leather...well at least the '06 911 interior that I posted is not. Like I said before I can't speak for anything newer because I haven't personally been in one. The lower dash and lower door trims are bare plastic, as is the lower console...same as the vette.

But I do (as noted before) agree with most of the rest of your post. On a car that can do what the Vette can do at that price point, something has to give. The interior is not world-beating like the car's performance is...however it's not BAD either. That's MY point...it's not going to outshine a BMW or Bentley, but it's not anything nearly as bad as some in this thread make it out to be...and it's DEFINITELY the best of it's domestic competition.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, the current Corvette has a few good things about it. But... it also has a slew of serious issues resulting in it's lowest sales since 1961.
Yep, those sales surely have nothing to do with the economy, its gotta be all the C6's fault, which happens to be the best Corvette ever made by a long shot.
All of which I pointed out. You can apologize for them all day long but that does nothing to fix them. Hopefully GM does, I like the Corvette and want it to succeed and it really deserves better. Right now it is far (and falling farther each year) from where it really needs to be. There's no excuse for the styling
No excuse for the styling? Can you be a little more clear? The C6 looks better than most sports cars on the road today, none the less any previous Corvette. (not to mention its styling has function: see aerodynamics)

, terrible materials they make it out of, and shoddy workmanship.
The materials are definitely sub par, but far far from terrible unless ofcourse you are comparing the car to cars way out of its class like Ferrais which often happens (more than likley because the vette competes on a supercar level even though its a fraction of the price).

Especially for what GM is asking for the car. Especially when other cars they make are much better and cost less.
Name one factory production car thats as cheap as a base C6, built better and can perform better (or even on par) as well. It seems too many people forget its a performance car first, not a luxury car.
Its funny I never hear and complaints about the (lack of) interior the Elise has and the walmart playhouse build quality of them (every time I have shut the door of an Elise its feels like its going to come off), rather they excuse it because its a purpose built track car. The Corvette is as well, yet offers better built quality, materials, options and luxuries for the same price.

The ZR1 is especially disappointing in that it's literally a ZO6 with some tacked on, poorly integrated body parts, extremely expensive brakes and a blower. That's it? And it's over 100k?
I know, seriously. They should have gave it better gearing, delphi magnetic shocks (ala Ferrari Enzo), more downforce, and lighter materials for better weight balance and distrabution! Oh wait...
Yea, I totally wouldn't pay 100K for a Corvette that can completely embarrass 300K+ supercars... What an underachiever...

They didn't even bother to put a steering wheel gripped for human hands or proper high performance seats in it. Either they were too cheap to spend the money on Recaros (which they do bother to put in the CTS-V) or they figured the car would be purchased by posers (which is also true).
Can't argue here, they should have definitely at least changed out the seats. But its nothing the aftermarket can't fix...

Proper homage? Seriously? The C4 ZR1 was nothing more than a C4 with a barn-sized over priced DOHC V8.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

The interior is not world-beating like the car's performance is...however it's not BAD either. That's MY point...it's not going to outshine a BMW or Bentley, but it's not anything nearly as bad as some in this thread make it out to be...and it's DEFINITELY the best of it's domestic competition.
Nobody in this thread has said it's THAT bad. Everyone has said the same thing as you with the exception that, I think anyway, everyone agrees that Porsche>C6 for interior.

I can't take anything away from the Ford GT in terms of concept...Ford had a great idea and put out a great offering...but it was and still is a POS.
I didn't see this before, but you are the only person I have heard call the GT a POS. I don't think a POS would still sell for more than what it did new 6 years later, while the Corvette you are comparing it to has dropped to half of what they were...
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Can't argue here, they should have definitely at least changed out the seats. But its nothing the aftermarket can't fix...

In all honesty, I would like to know how much it would add to the bottom line of a ZR1 for the interior to look like that. If it looked like that, was made out of high quality materials, and didn't creak/rattle (haven't noticed much of that in C6s), people would pay more for it. If you're gonna spend $110k on a Corvette, I bet you'd spend $115k for one with an interior that rivals the best out there.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

In all honesty, I would like to know how much it would add to the bottom line of a ZR1 for the interior to look like that. If it looked like that, was made out of high quality materials, and didn't creak/rattle (haven't noticed much of that in C6s), people would pay more for it. If you're gonna spend $110k on a Corvette, I bet you'd spend $115k for one with an interior that rivals the best out there.
They already have the 3ZR interior option for them for $10k and it doesn't look near that good. Here's a picture-

http://www.zorly.com/images_corvette...%20cockpit.jpg

I think if they had an interior like that other picture it would be atleast a $15k option.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 PM
***Repost Police***

I bet people would pay for it. You can get a Porsche interior similar to that for $10k. For $20k literally the ENTIRE interior (rearview mirror, vents, etc) can be covered in natural leather.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

I've always found porsche's designs to be a bit boring.
From their interior to their exterior.

That being said, the 911 is one of my favorite cars...
Doesn't make much sense, does it?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 PM
***Repost Police***

I talk about Corvettes being put together like tinker-toys, but the Corvette is one of my favorite cars...

Quick Reply: Muscle Cars Buck Downward Trend in Coupe and Sports-Car Sales