Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Blue Ops: The Clandestine Bailout Of Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I agree with you, for the most part, but I also see both sides of this. On one hand, yeah, people should support these companies to ensure the Fed gets their money back. But on the other hand, doesn't that just encourage these companies that the people will always bail out their poor business decisions...?
Good point.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Even the best companies are having troubles in this economy.

Another thing that is getting harder and harder to swallow is the "Buy American" I am all for keeping the money here when I make purchases however can't we implement a new phrase? "Employ American"

Just a thought

nailed it!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Everybody knows Fords CEO mortgaged the farm to make it though the crash.
But keep this in mind if Ford never paid back a penny of the $7 Billion it would cost everyone of us $23.00 as opposed to the $6,300 each and every one of us will have to pony up to pay for Iraq. Atleast the big 3 create real jobs and contribute to our economy. This country needs manufacturing jobs. We can't all deliver pizzas to one another or fix eachothers computers.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

This country and big business is terribly corrupt.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not a smoking gun by any means but still interesting.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7998
Everybody knows Fords CEO mortgaged the farm to make it though the crash.
But keep this in mind if Ford never paid back a penny of the $7 Billion it would cost everyone of us $23.00 as opposed to the $6,300 each and every one of us will have to pony up to pay for Iraq. Atleast the big 3 create real jobs and contribute to our economy. This country needs manufacturing jobs. We can't all deliver pizzas to one another or fix eachothers computers.
Well put and I got a chuckle
Old 12-24-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=HioSSilver;14274418]This country and big business is terribly corrupt and greedy and heartless.

just thought id add.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Your addition is terribly ironic...
Old 12-24-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Now we know they got the funds directly from the Fed instead.

Ford's CEO would not have appeared in front of Congress if he didn't have to be there. Ford was just as hard hit and cash-strapped as the other two.
Was gonna say, "what were they doing in front of Congress if not to rustle up some cash? Personally, I never thought Ford didn't participate in receiving Government money.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
This country and big business is terribly corrupt.
So what's new?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
I am all for keeping the money here when I make purchases however can't we implement a new phrase? "Employ American"

Just a thought
Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
And "Build it American". American manufacturing is almost non-existant these days.
Count me in.

Originally Posted by 7998
Atleast the big 3 create real jobs and contribute to our economy. This country needs manufacturing jobs. We can't all deliver pizzas to one another or fix eachothers computers.
VERY true.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Your addition is terribly ironic...

explain.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
And "Build it American". American manufacturing is almost non-existant these days.
While I understand where you're coming from, saying American manufacturing is "non-existent" is not even close to correct. The US is the top manufacturing country in the world, with over $1.8 trillion in output. China is number 2 with around $1.7 trillion in output. Japan comes in at number 3 with a "relatively measly" $1.1 trillion.

What everyone is noticing is the dropping proportion of our GDP dedicated to the manufacturing sector. After WWII, it was around 28%; it's at 13% right now IIRC. However, our productivity has remained extremely high and is still rising. What will make many people mad is that China is expected to surpass the US in total volume of manufactured goods within the next 2 years. It's hard to compete with a country that has a population over three times ours.

Back on topic though, I'm not surprised by this revelation and it doesn't change my opinion of any company that took "bailout money". I'd love to see every one of the Big 3 succeed and prosper compared to foreign car companies (even if Chrysler is owned by a bunch of dirty Italians ).
Old 12-25-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadder
While I understand where you're coming from, saying American manufacturing is "non-existent" is not even close to correct. The US is the top manufacturing country in the world, with over $1.8 trillion in output. China is number 2 with around $1.7 trillion in output. Japan comes in at number 3 with a "relatively measly" $1.1 trillion.
Does the highlighted statement include in that #1 place all of the manufacturing that American companies have farmed out to foreign countries and then have to import back here to sell? Those numbers are for American companies, but not American manufactured.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

After reading much of this thread, I'm still sitting here asking myself how "clandestine" loans amount to any form of actual bail out? After all, loans are just that and what GM and Chrysler got was money, handed to them in the billions, without having to pay it back. Sure, they had to pay back some of it, but billions will forever be unpaid balances. It simply isn't the same thing at all, in any number of ways. A loan is a loan, to be repaid. A handout is not legally to be repaid. I don't care who gets a loan, as long as they return what they borrowed, with or without interest. I do care who my tax dollars are handed to without return.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

I thought it was largely agreed that doing nothing to save the auto companies was much more dangerous to the economy than doing what we did.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wannabess00
I thought it was largely agreed that doing nothing to save the auto companies was much more dangerous to the economy than doing what we did.
Yeah, in our Congress and perhaps by the government at large. Most Americans whole-heartedly disagreed. Most of us openly said "Let 'em fail!" or something very similar.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I truly think the bailout decision for the "Big 3" was a difficult and long-thought out decision that included a lot of "future thinking" in regards to the NA ecomony as relevant to the world economy.

The decision then, as made by the US government, to "bail out" the auto industry came and I believe as a result of an "attempt" to shorten the lifespan of the economic downturn. Whether the decision ends up working in NAs favor, especially in regards to China, remains to be seen. There have already been numerous signs of ill-distributed monies, and those are only what have become public.

I am not supporting any side of the decision here, just giving my $.02 on the difficulty it would be to have to make this one.

I wonder if the companies had been allowed to fail, how long the recession would last in those circumstances (I am not trying to say it's over either, I think there is still a long way to go).
Old 01-03-2011, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

I think that there is more misinformation in this thread than there is real information.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Heater
I think that there is more misinformation in this thread than there is real information.
...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand welcome to automotive news here at LS1tech.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Heater
Clear'er up!

Quick Reply: Blue Ops: The Clandestine Bailout Of Ford