Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

R&T Road Tests the VOLT.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, you need to let it go..you only see the negatives of newer technology. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that will benefit from this car. I haven't even seen one on the road yet, wait about a year then get back to us on the subject.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fspeedster
OP, you need to let it go..you only see the negatives of newer technology. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that will benefit from this car. I haven't even seen one on the road yet, wait about a year then get back to us on the subject.
I've been amongst the 1st to report positives also, but my refusal to let ignorance override reality isn't a bad thing. I'm sharing what I've read and seeing some people try pointing out ONLY the good stuff seems completely asinine because that projects an image most people will, ultimately, find to be utterly incorrect. What's the good in only pointing out the positives when negatives exist as well? How good can a decision be in that case? This ain't Kindergarten. It's a place where real people who make real decisions WILL come to see information before making a purchase of a GM vehicle. This is certainly one of the busiest GM based sites as is, and even though it's not about Hybrids, it's car stuff and happens to be directly related to GM for obvious reasons. So people interested in Hybrids will see this.

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Money Money Money Money. You want things in life your gonna have to pay for it. You want new technology, your gonna have to pay for it. You want to charge something faster, your gonna have to pay for it, you wanna get off the grid your gonna have to pay for it. Nothing's free man, you want the world given to you on a platter? Your gonna have to pay for the platter.
Stop your bitching.
I'll stop bitching when you stop getting it wrong over and over again, Mr. "It's Free"... It isn't free. Welcome to America, where we actually pay for stuff AND know we're paying for it...

Not sure how GM selling 93% of the vehicles they had for sale in December an indication of poor sales but whatever.
Everything I've seen about this car leads me to think this car will sell, and it will sell well. Only time will tell.

Done
93% sounds great... When your starting number is 360 or less, selling that many isn't very helpful to your profit margin. With SAID demand so high, GM surely would've sold all they produced. They even allowed pre-orders to begin months before the car hit the market... Yet there they are. Do you also believe GM would've only sold 226 new Camaro's the 1st month, had they only produced 360? Of course not... They'd have sold 360... AT A PREMIUM!

I'm not saying the car sucks. I'm saying WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE... Americans, AT LARGE, don't care about this car nearly as much as some people hoped and think they do.

This is of no concern to me, really, but I hope they sell better soon... As I said, it helps fuel prices for the rest of us.

I have no problem with the car, but like EVERYONE ELSE on this forum, I have no intention to buy one. With that, why defend it anyway... Just because it has a Chevy badge on it? Please... Like all other Hybrids, most people don't want one, period.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

I was kinda busy today(yesterday now) and forgot to add, Chevy Volt was awarded Car and Driver North American 2011 CAR of the YEAR! Conratulations GM!

Kinda surprising, but just as shocking, the all new Ford Explorer won North American "Truck" of the year and it, like all other semi-finalists, isn't even CLOSE to a truck... Gone is the frame. Gone is standard RWD and then the most obvious, as a standalone name plate, it's always been an SUV. Maybe just as odd as anything, like the Volt, it's availability seems rather limited. I didn't even think Ford offered it yet... and I was hoping they never would... Don't much care for it myself, although it's well appointed. It's also very expensive for a mid-size SUV from Ford.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'll stop bitching when you stop getting it wrong over and over again, Mr. "It's Free"... It isn't free. Welcome to America, where we actually pay for stuff AND know we're paying for it...
Since you've got such a big complex and think your always right, why can't you even attempt to stay on topic just this once instead of steering every thread into other areas? Now I'm the "It's free" advocate who obviously has no sense of money and I'm also a foreigner.

93% sounds great... When your starting number is 360 or less, selling that many isn't very helpful to your profit margin. With SAID demand so high, GM surely would've sold all they produced. They even allowed pre-orders to begin months before the car hit the market... Yet there they are. Do you also believe GM would've only sold 226 new Camaro's the 1st month, had they only produced 360? Of course not... They'd have sold 360... AT A PREMIUM!
I can't believe your still here comparing it to the Camaro sales? That in itself should be a good indication to how pathetic your argument is!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Since you've got such a big complex and think your always right, why can't you even attempt to stay on topic just this once instead of steering every thread into other areas? Now I'm the "It's free" advocate who obviously has no sense of money and I'm also a foreigner.
You took it off course, CRYING LIKE A GIRL that I won't see things your way, first of all... My posts have been related to the Volt, even when you've gone in 2 other directions for the sake of defending it at all expense, apparently because someone screwed around and added Chevy label and you think it's your duty or something.

I'll explain the directions, since I know you don't understand THAT well... 1 was "Camaro" and 2 was "Money"... 3 if we include the additional rant with the money... I'll stick with 2. Don't blame anyone else for taking this off topic... YOU did that.

Secondly, I started the thread and you can hug a root, sport. MAYBE you're bright enough to take note: I put my last response to you BENEATH the other... Because yours was another whining rant, not about the topic, but about ME... Because you're one of those who insists on making it personal, even with the folks you're not capable of competing with. Talk about a need to TURN DOWN THE SUCK... You have that.

3rd, I've even posted more about the Volt since my last reply to you and I think you're here ONLY because I ignored you in the other thread you were crying in. It's evident you're just a little bitch and you're mad so you want to ruin another thread I'm in. Let go of the stalkers approach. It does a body good.

I can't believe your still here comparing it to the Camaro sales? That in itself should be a good indication to how pathetic your argument is!
You're NOT quite THAT much of a moron, and I know it even if you don't. I didn't compare Camaro sales and if you're so damned certain I did, show me ANYWHERE in this thread where I've added any sales figures for the Camaro... Since you can't, SHUT THE HELL UP, already! Ya fuggin' crybaby. You remind me of the youngest member of the family... She's 8 and even she isn't this much of a whining, entitlement minded fool. Even an 8yr old has seen there are limits as to what people are willing to put up with just because and even when she's unhappy.

Again, QUIT STALKING ME! I've already unsubscribed from threads to leave you to your vices. It's getting to the point, however, where you're going to have to GROW UP some.

We don't need another thread locked, just because there are sissies in the crowd. With that, I guess I'll welcome you to my ignore list.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Launching!

I've been amongst the 1st to report positives also, but my refusal to let ignorance override reality isn't a bad thing. I'm sharing what I've read and seeing some people try pointing out ONLY the good stuff seems completely asinine because that projects an image most people will, ultimately, find to be utterly incorrect. What's the good in only pointing out the positives when negatives exist as well? How good can a decision be in that case? This ain't Kindergarten. It's a place where real people who make real decisions WILL come to see information before making a purchase of a GM vehicle. This is certainly one of the busiest GM based sites as is, and even though it's not about Hybrids, it's car stuff and happens to be directly related to GM for obvious reasons. So people interested in Hybrids will see this.

I'm not saying the car sucks. I'm saying WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE... Americans, AT LARGE, don't care about this car nearly as much as some people hoped and think they do.

This is of no concern to me, really, but I hope they sell better soon... As I said, it helps fuel prices for the rest of us.

I have no problem with the car, but like EVERYONE ELSE on this forum, I have no intention to buy one. With that, why defend it anyway... Just because it has a Chevy badge on it? Please... Like all other Hybrids, most people don't want one, period.
If you have actually read any of GM's articles you will find that GM know's that they are going to be losing money the FIRST couple of years of the VOLT being made!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

It's stupid. It's just another much-less efficient energy source to power the vehicle. It's not "saving the planet" or any crap like that.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Restricted User

All these Volt haters are forgetting what is (to us) probably the most important benefit.

This car is going to go a long way to making sure that the cars we love (ZR1, Z06, Z28, V-series...etc) will continue to be built.

That fact alone is enough to make me a number one fan.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fspeedster
If you have actually read any of GM's articles you will find that GM know's that they are going to be losing money the FIRST couple of years of the VOLT being made!
Yeah, that's part of the issue they're facing and it's also part of why Bob Lutz said there's a need to add "electric fueling" stations to parking lots as well as adding cord/plug in outlets, whatever... to parking meters. He also said he thinks higher gasoline taxes(US federal) may be needed in order to boost sales. That's a losing proposition for all of us.

Originally Posted by Shackleford
It's stupid. It's just another much-less efficient energy source to power the vehicle. It's not "saving the planet" or any crap like that.
I'm not really thinking it's stupid, but I find no argument against saying it won't save the planet... Surely it won't. I do think it will prove more expensive than many people seem to be expecting, considering owners will have to purchase 2 fuel sources to make it as efficient as claimed... That is, you wouldn't wanna not have gasoline in it "just in case" and you'll not want to run it in gasoline only mode because in that case, you could choose a number of more efficient cars for under 1/2 the price. Some can be had for well under 1/2.

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
All these Volt haters are forgetting what is (to us) probably the most important benefit.

This car is going to go a long way to making sure that the cars we love (ZR1, Z06, Z28, V-series...etc) will continue to be built.
Doesn't seem many are forgetting that burning less fuel in one will leave more for another. Maybe they're considering the stated end too... Volt, if successful, will lead to more like it. At some point, there will be a premium placed on the cars we all want.

That fact alone is enough to make me a number one fan.
Really? So do you have plans to buy one? I'm just sayin'... a real #1 fan should be looking at that as the thing to do. I have no problem with the car.. as long as I don't have to own one. At that point, I would have a problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ohhh darn, I'm being ignored....
Old 01-16-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

someone thinks their high and mighty with this volt
Old 01-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

i would like to see solar panels on the roof. i know that they couldnt charge very well while driving, but if it did have solar panels it would be able to recharge the batteries while im at work so i wouldnt have to use much gas at all. i also work around 40 miles from home. just a thought
Old 01-16-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mikeyc34
i would like to see solar panels on the roof. i know that they couldnt charge very well while driving, but if it did have solar panels it would be able to recharge the batteries while im at work so i wouldnt have to use much gas at all. i also work around 40 miles from home. just a thought
There must be something about the whole solar panel thing that makes it not seem worthy... Idonno what it is, as I know almost nothing about solar panels. I know they help create electricity from sunlight though, and I think if there's a way to implement them into a car like Volt, it would be a totally worthy outcome. You may simply NEVER have to plug in the car... Wouldn't work for people who don't get enough sunlight, but others... charging while it sits, and even some while moving. Maybe that would be TOO efficeint? Like Tesla's idea with making electricity for "free."
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Restricted User

Volt, if successful, will lead to more like it. At some point, there will be a premium placed on the cars we all want.
Democrats will see to that long before the Volt or any hybrid technology has a chance to.

Make no mistake, the days of 500hp+ American supercars are numbered, Volt or no Volt.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SLOXCAB
someone thinks their high and mighty with this volt
Who me?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Democrats will see to that long before the Volt or any hybrid technology has a chance to.
Yeah well... after the beating they just took, that may be awhile.

Make no mistake, the days of 500hp+ American supercars are numbered, Volt or no Volt.
There's the problem. We're seeing changes that shorten the span... I hardly need to care, but it would be nice if future Americans don't just have to be told of "how it used to be."

Last edited by It'llrun; 01-16-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Late and all, but I had to fix it.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

one of my college professors was a representative to congress about solar panels and he told us that 1 square yard of panels at 100% efficiency can only produce about .5 hp which is obviously not enough to move a car but over a typical 8 hour workday could revamp the batteries enough to get you home without the use of the gas.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikeyc34
The 2010 Prius uses solar panels on it's roof to run the A/C while the car is off, that's kinda cool. But yeah it'd be nice if it could help recharge the batteries and all.
Some of those Solar car races use solar arrays that can produce up to 2 kilowatts (2.6 horsepower) on their massive 6 square meter solar panel array. I would think sitting in the hot afternoon sun some of these Hybrid's could really benefit from some solar panels.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

Who me?
no the op is full of himself. the volt is ******* retarted but if it helps bring done the chevy mpg average so we can have cool **** like the zr1 then im fine with.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLOXCAB
no the op is full of himself. the volt is ******* retarted but if it helps bring done the chevy mpg average so we can have cool **** like the zr1 then im fine with.
Have you been reading any of this thread? Any atoll? I, being "the op," have to ask. You claim I'm full of myself, then turn RIGHT AROUND and fully agree with me, except I don't think it's retarded. You, maybe. The car, no... Clearly you don't even know you did(agree). Sheesh... Pay attention, bonehead.

PS, the Volt brings UP the average, not "done" or even down. Don't be a clown... or a clone...

Quick Reply: R&T Road Tests the VOLT.