Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sunday's episode (2/13...S16E04) for those who don't want to download it-->

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...-4_2200567.htm
Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The forensics team findings on what was really in their used cars was completely disgusting. That really makes you think about how filthy an average used car really is inside, similar to a public restroom.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, that was terrible. I wish those tests were available for cheap on all used cars.

I thought the helium test was friggin hilarious.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
Just imagine what Formula 1 cars could be without all those rules and restrictions.
I think the death of Senna really put an end to the crazy turbo charged days, and after ferrari's dominated and found out how to make crazy hp with NA v-10's the rules again changed to slow the cars down and go down to v-8's
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DicN
The Atom vs the BMW street bike was pure art.

This show just doesn't get old.

Yah, but they ran the STIG around the track in it & included its' time on the "fastest to go around our track" wall. Their rules are getting lax. For all intents & purposes, the ATOM is an open wheel racer. Further, it'd doubtfull that it would clear a sleeping policeman (speed bump). It isn't a realistic comparison.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Yah, but they ran the STIG around the track in it & included its' time on the "fastest to go around our track" wall. Their rules are getting lax. For all intents & purposes, the ATOM is an open wheel racer. Further, it'd doubtfull that it would clear a sleeping policeman (speed bump). It isn't a realistic comparison.
The atom is a street legal car with DOT approved road tires, Jay Leno has one and drive it in the streets here in California, and a guy from our local forum just bought one and street drives it.

You cannot legally drive a caparo t1,renault f1,ferrari ffx,and the pagani gtr race car on the street ...hence they dont qualify to be on the board
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure that MOST of the supercars they test won't clear speed bumps. I remember when they drove 3 supercars to France, they had to take off the Zonda's splitter and put ramps down to get it out of a car park.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

The whole point is that the Atom stretches their own rules more than most. Can't drive it in the pouring rain, no inertia reel seat belts, speed bump clearance...etc. Just seems like they've thrown all of their qualifications out the window. Hell, let's just add a few formula 1 cars & a few prototypes from the ALS & Rolex driving series. The Atom shouldn't be on the board. Also, how is a car without wipers "street legal," especially in the **** state of California?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM
***Repost Police***

It doesn't have a ******* windshield. What would it need wipers? And you can drive it in the rain, same as people ride their motorcycles in the rain.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

The whole point is that the Atom stretches their own rules more than most. Can't drive it in the pouring rain, no inertia reel seat belts, speed bump clearance...etc. Just seems like they've thrown all of their qualifications out the window. Hell, let's just add a few formula 1 cars & a few prototypes from the ALS & Rolex driving series. The Atom shouldn't be on the board. Also, how is a car without wipers "street legal," especially in the **** state of California?
Rules? I'm pretty sure their only rule is it has to be street legal, which the Atom is. It might be damn near a full on race car, but it's still street legal. IDK why you're so pissed about it, that Atom was ******* badass!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It doesn't have a ******* windshield. What would it need wipers? And you can drive it in the rain, same as people ride their motorcycles in the rain.

It has a windshield, it's about 12"x10" ish. Cars w/ windshields are required to have @ least one wiper. Also, since 99 ish, a third brake light. Although, the motorcycle analogy may apply, as well & they don't have wipers; who knows. If the Atom is street legal, they have gotten around it somehow. Wonder why it's illegal not to have a wiper on a car windshiled, but not illegal on a bike that has a windshield (actually do wonder why, it's not posted as a smart a$$ reply)? Maybe it has something to do with being able to see around the bike windshield if need be.

I'd like to see Leno driving it out in the rain, LOL. The Atom is basically an open wheel racer.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gocartone
Rules? I'm pretty sure their only rule is it has to be street legal, which the Atom is. It might be damn near a full on race car, but it's still street legal. IDK why you're so pissed about it, that Atom was ******* badass!

Sorry for the double post. I forgot to multiquote.

I'm not pissed, just not impressed. It stems from the reactions of ***** we see @ the road course that show up in similar cars that are open wheel racers w/ coffee can covers draipped over the tires to make them technically not open wheeled. The drivers act like their skill has somehow posted the decent track time, all the while running lines & shitty braking that would lead to newb times in even an ACR, vette or similar. Basically, it's the ricer attitude of the drivers' of these vehicles, not the car.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

My car which is at stock height couldn't get over a sleeping policeman, without running him over. A speedbump, it can though.

Technically, it does have one...it's just tiny as hell.

It has a windshield, it's about 12"x10" ish. Cars w/ windshields are required to have @ least one wiper. Also, since 99 ish, a third brake light. Although, the motorcycle analogy may apply, as well & they don't have wipers; who knows. If the Atom is street legal, they have gotten around it somehow. Wonder why it's illegal not to have a wiper on a car windshiled, but not illegal on a bike that has a windshield (actually do wonder why, it's not posted as a smart a$$ reply)? Maybe it has something to do with being able to see around the bike windshield if need be.

I'd like to see Leno driving it out in the rain, LOL. The Atom is basically an open wheel racer.
What you are forgetting is that the show is British. They have different rules for what is road legal. Don't judge it by our standards.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WSsick
My car which is at stock height couldn't get over a sleeping policeman, without running him over. A speedbump, it can though.

Technically, it does have one...it's just tiny as hell.

What you are forgetting is that the show is British. They have different rules for what is road legal. Don't judge it by our standards.

Actually, that was made in response to the "street legal in CA," statement. My original reply was made in reference to their (Top Gear) track testing standards, ie; sleeping policeman, inertia reel seat belts... Their rules have changed without notice, kinda like in law enforcement, LOL.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

The atom is street legal, it has indicators, meets headlight height requirements, and you can register it and drive it on a street. Also, it can clear a speed bump. Therefore it has a place on their board. The Caterham 7 is along the same lines as the Atom. I'd personally rather have the 7, though.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 PM
***Repost Police***

It has an optional full-width windshield... that little screen you're thinking about is much smaller than 12x10. And the optional windshield has wipers
Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Actually, that was made in response to the "street legal in CA," statement. My original reply was made in reference to their (Top Gear) track testing standards, ie; sleeping policeman, inertia reel seat belts... Their rules have changed without notice, kinda like in law enforcement, LOL.
Where are you getting this part from?

The rules, as most know them are:
A "non-qualifying" vehicle is one that does not meet the presenters' requirements to remain on the board, that is, one that is not a "road car". This means being available to buy and being fully road-legal (lights, indicators, registration, etc.), as well as being street-worthy (i.e. able to negotiate a speed bump) or using slick tyres.
The end.

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Power_laps
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the optional windshield has wipers
Yup, for all those people driving it in the rain, with no doors, windows, or roof.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
***Repost Police***

Exactly . But hey, I don't get people riding their bikes in the rain either.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I liked the last episode. Was pretty funny to hear about the poop.

Quick Reply: Top Gear is Back - Download and Discuss It Here