Ferrari "ringers"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gocartone
Customer car or test car?

The test 360 being 2 seconds faster to 100 has to have a pretty big bump in power. 2 seconds to 100 in a car like that is what, ~2 seconds in the 1/4 mile also? That's a big ******* gap.
That was an actual customers car.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

All the superbike manufacturers commit almost the identical crimes....no magazing testing without their crew their to "optimize" the bike.

That's why you need to be able to drive what you want, BEFORE you buy! With Ferrari, Lambos, even ZR1s, etc, it's just not that easy
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
"The forums went nuts and some Scud owners rightly felt they hadn't been delivered the car they'd read about in all the buff books."

not smart to screw people..

honda got pwned for overrating engines way back... this... is a bit worse as owners shell out hundreds of thousands.
Not familiar with that? Which cars were they overrating? On topic, if I were going to buy a Ferrari (one day, hopefully) it would be used anyway. Let somebody else take that hit.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Not familiar with that? Which cars were they overrating? On topic, if I were going to buy a Ferrari (one day, hopefully) it would be used anyway. Let somebody else take that hit.
I remember they got nailed for overrating longevity and economy, not too many yrs ago. Seems they used "defective" odometers, registering more miles than the vehicle went. In turn, the owners thought they got better economy and an engine that lasts nearly forever... As to Ferarri... I have no thoughts of ever owning one, new or used. In general, they seem to be a headache looking for a garage to camp in.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Ford got nailed with that as well in the Mustangs.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sublime Dak
Ford got nailed with that as well in the Mustangs.
Never heard of it and can't find it today... Got a link?

The Honda one... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...a7e52ef0af3d83

That's a link to the search, which netted over 23,000 results related to the matter... I certainly didn't go through them all and many are surely indirectly related speedometer stories. Looking at the 1st page, the only 2 manufacturers listed are Honda and General Motors. There are those, however, like the 1st one, which speak of a class action lawsuit. If this happened with the Mustang, I simply cannot tell. Granted, after page 2, there may be cases listed. I didn't bother with page 3 or beyond.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28MP
I hear with Ferrari's you got to be put on a ridiculous waiting list that requires a hefty deposit and no idea when you will be even able to buy one. Do t know if it's true or not since I'm not in that league.
I read another revealing Ferrari article by someone who worked for a car magazine (can't find the article now) but the writer said that he has tried to drive multiple customer Ferraris in the past. Numerous times people from Ferrari have called these customers and threatened them saying they wouldn't be eligible to buy the newest hottest Ferraris if they lent their cars to journalists. Everything i've heard about the way they treat their customers and potential customers is ridiculous. Given how saturated the exotic car market is I don't see why anyone would be willing to put up with their crap.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Never heard of it and can't find it today... Got a link?

The Honda one... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...a7e52ef0af3d83

That's a link to the search, which netted over 23,000 results related to the matter... I certainly didn't go through them all and many are surely indirectly related speedometer stories. Looking at the 1st page, the only 2 manufacturers listed are Honda and General Motors. There are those, however, like the 1st one, which speak of a class action lawsuit. If this happened with the Mustang, I simply cannot tell. Granted, after page 2, there may be cases listed. I didn't bother with page 3 or beyond.
When the 99-01 Cobras came out they made less than the advertised ~320hp(?). People weren't happy and ford put out a revised air intake system that solved the problem. IIRC when buying a used one, just as an fyi, the revised intake has a blue dot somewhere on it.

That's why I love Fbodies. You don't pay for 320hp and get 300hp...you pay for 305hp and get 350hp.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
I read another revealing Ferrari article by someone who worked for a car magazine (can't find the article now) but the writer said that he has tried to drive multiple customer Ferraris in the past. Numerous times people from Ferrari have called these customers and threatened them saying they wouldn't be eligible to buy the newest hottest Ferraris if they lent their cars to journalists. Everything i've heard about the way they treat their customers and potential customers is ridiculous. Given how saturated the exotic car market is I don't see why anyone would be willing to put up with their crap.
Me neither. It just doesn't make sense. You can by a better performer for less money as it is, and looks are arguable. Seems one would have to be a DIEHARD fan to put up with the nonsense of Ferarri, if these stories are true, that is. I suspect they are.

Originally Posted by justin455
When the 99-01 Cobras came out they made less than the advertised ~320hp(?). People weren't happy and ford put out a revised air intake system that solved the problem. IIRC when buying a used one, just as an fyi, the revised intake has a blue dot somewhere on it.

That's why I love Fbodies. You don't pay for 320hp and get 300hp...you pay for 305hp and get 350hp.
For 99, the power rating was more than the output. No such example ever existed for the 2001 version, as the '99 got "repaired" long before the 2001 ever came out. That issue with the '99 is the reason there was no 2000 Cobra(except R). The "fix" included a reflash too, from what I remember.

The LS1 was underrated, but I guess you can start loving Mustangs now as well... Many have been underrated since 1999. It all depends on how the rating was done and who' looking at it. None of that has anything to do with faulty speedo's from the factory, issuing more mileage than the vehicle actually travelled.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For 99, the power rating was more than the output. No such example ever existed for the 2001 version, as the '99 got "repaired" long before the 2001 ever came out. That issue with the '99 is the reason there was no 2000 Cobra(except R). The "fix" included a reflash too, from what I remember.

The LS1 was underrated, but I guess you can start loving Mustangs now as well... Many have been underrated since 1999. It all depends on how the rating was done and who' looking at it. None of that has anything to do with faulty speedo's from the factory, issuing more mileage than the vehicle actually travelled.
Damn, you really are a bitch...My comment was a general statement about the backlash ford got from overrated Cobras. (This is the overrated Ferrari thread, right?) But since you love nit-picking and sniffing your own farts so much, I would love to point out that there were, in fact, about 300 Cobras made in 2002. They just were all bound for the land of Oz. (I do love mustangs, by the way )

Be proud of yourself for killing that last little sliver of thinking I had that considered you someone to have a decent conversation with, because you do actually know your stuff. However as is, you're attitude is completely ridiculous.

:to be read in a smug tone:
Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Me neither. It just doesn't make sense. You can by a better performer for less money as it is, and looks are arguable. Seems one would have to be a DIEHARD fan to put up with the nonsense of Ferarri
Originally Posted by SlowFRC
Good points, one would think that type of clientele, ya know the ones that claim to "demand only the finest of everything" and "pay for only the best *** kissing type service available" would NEVER tolerate that kind of ****.
Perhaps some of their noses aren't quite so high up in the air afterall?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn, you really are a bitch...My comment was a general statement about the backlash ford got from overrated Cobras. (This is the overrated Ferrari thread, right?) But since you love nit-picking and sniffing your own farts so much, I would love to point out that there were, in fact, about 300 Cobras made in 2002. They just were all bound for the land of Oz. (I do love mustangs, by the way )

Be proud of yourself for killing that last little sliver of thinking I had that considered you someone to have a decent conversation with, because you do actually know your stuff. However as is, you're attitude is completely ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, well I guess I'm a bitch, and that's okay... Your comment was SO general, it was FALSE... I merely straightened up the record for people who DON'T already know everything...

We aren't here to ONLY try our hand at bad-mouthing Fords. That's NOT was LS1 tech is about, even if nobody told you before. If you're going to insist to do so, at least LEARN THE FACTS before spouting off. That way, others may think you know your stuff, which frankly isn't all that inaccurate... Stop being an asshat and you'll find my attitude much easier to deal with, no doubt. YOU are too intelligent for it, seriously. We'd been taken off topic about the speedo thing from Honda. Sublime Dak made a comment about Ford having the same problem with the Mustang. That's quite apparently incorrect. So then you needed to bad-mouth the 99-01 Cobras and got that wrong... Are you guys THAT jealous, or what? Is it an uncontrollable urge? I don't get it... There must be a reason, but what?

As for 2002 Cobras... I don't recall those being mentioned. but there was no 2002 model for the USA. Maybe those were the ones with a speedo problem??? The 100 built were indeed shipped to Australia. They had 2 more lights up front(installed into the bumper cover) and were right hand drive... Of course, there were far more than 300 Cobras built in 2002... The 2003 was released in June of 2002 and more than 13,000 were built for that model yr.

:To be read in a LEARNING tone! I ain't madatcha... That said, I'm really gettin' tired of all the incorrect trash-talking. It's NOT a contest... really. Let's debate the realities, but not waste time with name calling and opinions in place of facts.

Quick Reply: Ferrari "ringers"