Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

H/C/I 5.0 makes 507rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011 | 10:59 AM

This is just the start, I imagine a more radical cam and extensive head work would yeild better power. Time will tell, a lot of people discounted these motors as being maxed from the factory, but time and time again they are being proven wrong. Comparing h/c set ups, you really have to read between the lines and the b.s that gets posted. Also take in to consideration when the LS1 came out in 1997, tuning capabilties were not what they are today. Dallas Performance has an F2 Procharger on a street C6, back in the late 90s or even early 00s, if you said you had a F1 which is common place now, that would have been race car stuff back then.
Old 02-25-2011 | 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^^^^^ all true. great time to build major power. its almost too easy now. money and training yourself to do things for yourself is key.

i was a carb only guy before getting into modulars. now id never go back unless the combo needed it.

a high, throttle body mounted big cfm EFI setup will do everything a carb will, power wise.
Old 02-25-2011 | 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by assasinator
IMO the difference is drivability. this combo for the coyote is not 'radical'. you can tune a smooth idle. get good gas mileage. have it all.
LS motors can make great power and get good mileage if tuned correctly.
ill never buy that LS motors equally modded cant make similar or more power than modulars.

these new 5.0s do kick *** and i did claim they were nowhere near maxed out stock.
Old 02-25-2011 | 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a big intake
Attached Thumbnails H/C/I 5.0 makes 507rwhp-omglol.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011 | 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a standard JLT intake that we all use. it had to be clocked a little to work with the boss intake manifold. we use very large intakes. it's part of why we get 400rwhp tune/intake. i use airraid.

its also important to realize that dyno is a loaded dyno. 507rwhp on that dyno is more on a dynojet. just numbers.
Old 02-26-2011 | 11:54 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Question

Originally Posted by assasinator
thats a standard JLT intake that we all use. it had to be clocked a little to work with the boss intake manifold. we use very large intakes. it's part of why we get 400rwhp tune/intake. i use airraid.

its also important to realize that dyno is a loaded dyno. 507rwhp on that dyno is more on a dynojet. just numbers.
I know it would likely be negligible but was curious how much less power (if any less at all that is) it might've made with an intake/air filter on there that also permits the hood to be closed (as in something one might use on the street/daily use).
Old 02-26-2011 | 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably a little. there are cai's being worked on for it. other shops have used a ~30 degree elbow to adapt it. i think they wanted to eliminate that kink as a possible issue. the cai has a extension that pull air and doesnt need the hood open for better numbers. it might change the numbers a few hp ot not at all.

i want to see that same car on a dynojet. i also want full cam only numbers.

they made 437rwhp with an auto car on that dyno with cams and bolt ons-stock intake.

the specific number i want is full bolt ons, 82mm throttle body, boss intake and real cams, not regrinds. those cams are regrinds. that request is going to be quite a time wait.

the first issue of comp cams is going to be rushed IMO. the possible combos need a few years. we will only know what cam only numbers are this time next year i bet. i also think 500rwhp cam only is likely.
Old 03-08-2011 | 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
LS motors can make great power and get good mileage if tuned correctly.
I think that's a no brainer... Definitely, fuel economy is becoming a real issue and for me, 400rwhp and anything better than 24mpg is a pretty darned good deal.

ill never buy that LS motors equally modded cant make similar or more power than modulars.
I'm thinking this over and wondering... do ya mean non-stroked, or even bored? If you're considering a large version, LS3 could qualify... Maybe you're right.

Question is, which LS series will be needed? I'm just thinking, man... the 4.6L has gone beyond 2,000hp without being stroked. Which LS is going to do that? Surely, the 5L will go further... Mod for mod, the top offering (I've heard of) from the modular crowd isn't stroked.

In street driver form, I wouldn't argue you're wrong... It's just about normal to see a strong LS1(or others) in street trim. Once you get into all out racing, I'd be very careful in selecting the LS to keep up. So far, it seems the power advantage goes to the mods. I am not including the race blocks, but that's only because I just don't know who's using one and running quicker than someone with say, the quickest LQ blocked car. On that level, it hardly matters to the street car, so maybe it's a moot point.
Old 03-08-2011 | 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

I guess I'm the only one who isnt looking forward to the direct injection v8 from GM. I dont think it will be as easy to mod as the current LSX platform. Not feeling the fuel system with the lift pump or the DI issues with the valves coking either. I dont see whats so great about this heads cam mustang that puts down 500 hp. Mamo made 480 years ago with a ls1 using a small cam. Pat G's automatic makes 500 with a ls2. Wonder what these guys could do with a LS3?

Last edited by ramairroughneck; 03-08-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2011 | 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Do you honestly think the LS3 has that many inherent advantages over the LS2 regarding its ability to reach 500rwhp?

Seems it's more about how soon it(5L) reached this level, being such a new engine. Besides, this one clearly has far more in it than many people thought it had. To think, only 6mo ago we were hearing that this new 5L is maxxed from the factory... Not even hardly, obviously. This is serious power from such a small cube engine in an everyday kinda car. If it's not impressive, not much is.
Old 03-08-2011 | 03:00 AM
TECH Regular

I dont understand your "inherent advantage" comment. I was merely pointing out two streetable combos-A ls1 and a ls2. I dont see a ls3 making a lot more over the 2 but I would think the 3 would have a small gain from the few cubes and larger bore. Granted it may only be a 15hp advantage but every little bit counts.
Old 03-08-2011 | 07:10 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
I guess I'm the only one who isnt looking forward to the direct injection v8 from GM. I dont think it will be as easy to mod as the current LSX platform. Not feeling the fuel system with the lift pump or the DI issues with the valves coking either. I dont see whats so great about this heads cam mustang that puts down 500 hp. Mamo made 480 years ago with a ls1 using a small cam. Pat G's automatic makes 500 with a ls2. Wonder what these guys could do with a LS3?
Well the fact that they are getting 500 rwhp out of 5 liters versus 6 or 6.2 liters is pretty significant.
Old 03-08-2011 | 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
I dont understand your "inherent advantage" comment. I was merely pointing out two streetable combos-A ls1 and a ls2. I dont see a ls3 making a lot more over the 2 but I would think the 3 would have a small gain from the few cubes and larger bore. Granted it may only be a 15hp advantage but every little bit counts.
Know it or not, you understand it... You just explained it...

The point was, the only real notable difference in this series is cubes. Either can reach 500hp... One does it a tad easier, but the mods list will be essentially identical. To match the modular style engine with an LS series, more cubes are simply a requirement, not a bonus. That's part of why OHC designs are looking better overall. The 4.8L would be a prime example. Larger than the 4.6L DOHC internally, it isn't likely anyone will ever try to reach or exceed 2000hp with one. People pass on the 5.3L as well, and even the LS1 itself has little chance, at more than 1 liter larger. Most looking for big power will step up to a 6.0L or more. I think we'll be seeing more antagonism in this area soon, when the 6.2L SOHC(and probably DOHC) start being pump up. There is no denying OHC designs their due.
Old 03-08-2011 | 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

im still going with LS advantage over modular.

LS7 or ls9 for me please.
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LEO
Well the fact that they are getting 500 rwhp out of 5 liters versus 6 or 6.2 liters is pretty significant.
Only thing I see being much better would be the millage given the 5.0 motor is smaller. We have automatics that can match their manuel dyno numbers as I stated. Right now there are so many options available with our LSX platform. The aftermarket has never supported any motor in such a short period of time as the LS. Look at all the products that are continually coming out for our motors. I would rather GM gave us a cheaper version of a LS7 motor minus the expensive ti valves, rods, and dry sump. A simple bolt-on LS7 can match the heads/cam 5.0 easily.
Read some of the other forums and youll see there are some hurdles to overcome with direct inj. There is a major problem with sludge collecting on the back of the valves. I read where one guy was down 40 horsepower after only 40,000 miles. With di there is no fuel flowing across the back of the valve. As a result, there is no fuel to keep the valve washed clean. Also, ask the di guys how much their lift pumps and fuel pumps cost. Not quite as cheap as a walbro. I bet you wont see near the garage heads cam swaps with the coyote 5.0 as you have with the LS. Its a lot more complicated. Also, when GM does decide to get in to the di v8 market, there is going to be a dead period where not a lot of parts are available. Plus the first parts are going to be expensive. Yup I'm more than content with the current generation of GM v8s.

Last edited by ramairroughneck; 03-09-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEO
true only DOHC and 4V per cylinder also (32v) .. so might be only a 5.0 but still has its advantages also.
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isnt the trickflow head, vengance cam combo 500rwhp on an LS1?
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Isnt the trickflow head, vengance cam combo 500rwhp on an LS1?
yup but ford did good with not putting a punkass rearend on the mustang vs f body 10 bolt.. Not sure what Gm was smoking
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
yup but ford did good with not putting a punkass rearend on the mustang vs f body 10 bolt.. Not sure what Gm was smoking
well depends....mach's got a punk *** tranny
Old 03-09-2011 | 03:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Do you honestly think the LS3 has that many inherent advantages over the LS2 regarding its ability to reach 500rwhp?

Seems it's more about how soon it(5L) reached this level, being such a new engine. Besides, this one clearly has far more in it than many people thought it had. To think, only 6mo ago we were hearing that this new 5L is maxxed from the factory... Not even hardly, obviously. This is serious power from such a small cube engine in an everyday kinda car. If it's not impressive, not much is.

Why are you making such a big deal about the size of the cubes? it is an entirely different engine design. 5.0L yes, but with 4v and 4 cams i think its a pretty level field. I have never ever seen such a huge as you but it truly is pathetic. Quit trollin dick. A cam only LS3 (in production in 2011 in the camaro so it is fair to say it is competition for the 5.0) makes over 500whp cam only. Not to say the 5.0 isn't bad *** or capable once some actual cams (not regrinds) come out. But shrouding it in some sort of mythical like status is naive. They are both good and both very different so comparing how much power based on the cubes is ridiculous...

Oh and the 5.0 coyote weighs over 440lbs while the ls3 is just 415 so if you're gonna be a dick GM takes the win with more power per less material and weight with a 50+ year old design and 2 valves and one cam.

Quick Reply: H/C/I 5.0 makes 507rwhp