Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Consumer Reports - Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Upcoming Electric Cars Don't Make Sense

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Consumer Reports - Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Upcoming Electric Cars Don't Make Sense

"When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense."

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
February 28. 2011

Washington — Consumer Reports offered a harsh initial review of the Chevrolet Volt, questioning whether General Motors Co.'s flagship vehicle makes economic "sense." The extended-range plug-in electric vehicle is on the cover of the April issue — the influential magazine's annual survey of vehicles — but the GM vehicle comes in for criticism.

"When you are looking at purely dollars and cents, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. The Volt isn't particularly efficient as an electric vehicle and it's not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel economy," said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports auto testing center at a meeting with reporters here. "This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer."

The magazine said in its testing in Connecticut during this harsh winter, its Volt is getting 25 to 27 miles on electric power alone.

GM spokesman Greg Martin noted that it's been an extremely harsh winter — and as a Volt driver he said he's getting 29-33 miles on electric range. But he noted that in more moderate recent weather, the range jumped to 40 miles on electric range or higher.

Champion believes a hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, may make more sense for some trips.

"If you drive about 70 miles, a Prius will actually get you more miles per gallon than the Volt does," Champion said.

But GM has noted that most Americans can avoid using gasoline for most regular commuting with the Volt, while its gasoline engine can allow the freedom to travel farther, if needed.

The magazine has put about 2,500 miles on its Volt. It paid $48,700, including a $5,000 markup by a Chevy dealer.

Champion noted the Volt is about twice as expensive as a Prius.

He was said the five hour time to recharge the Volt was "annoying" and was also critical of the power of the Volt heating system.

"You have seat heaters, which keep your body warm, but your feet get cold and your hands get cold," Champion said.

Consumer Reports will release a full road test of the Volt later this year and will update it.

Champion praised the heater on the all-electric Nissan Leaf - which Consumer Reports borrowed from the Japanese automaker -- but said it also got very short ranges in very cold weather.

On one commute, his range in a Leaf was at 43 miles when he turned onto an eight-mile stretch of highway, but it fell from 43 to 16 miles after eight miles at 70 mph.

"If it keeps on going down at this rate, will I get to work," Champion said.

Champion said in an interview he thinks the Volt "will sell the quantity that they want to sell to the people that really want it."

Despite his criticism of the Volt, Champion praised its acceleration and acknowledged that under certain driving cycles, consumers could mostly avoid using gasoline. The magazine noted the Volt is nicely equipped and has a "taut yet supple ride."

But he said there are a lot of trade-offs.

"They are going to live with the compromises the vehicle delivers," Champion said. "When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense."

Before Consumer Reports decides whether to recommend the Volt, it needs data from at least 100 subscribers who own one, and a year of reliability data.

http://detnews.com/article/20110228/AUTO01/102280401
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LEAF makes even less since than the Volt. You run out of juice, done. Fail.

So, from the stand point of local commuting the Volt makes more since. Granted the Volt has a high price for that privilege.

Although I don’t know that I would have called the Volt GM's flagship car. GM has long stated it does not expect to turn a profit on the Volt.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They pay a 5,000 dollar markup and then complain about operating economics? That doesn't quite make them the subject matter expert.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

How does someone find plugging in a car for 5 hours "annoying"?
Does he not sleep or is he just a dumb-*** that forgets to do it when he gets home for the night?
That article seemed less about the product and more about nit-picking.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
How does someone find plugging in a car for 5 hours "annoying"?
Does he not sleep or is he just a dumb-*** that forgets to do it when he gets home for the night?
That article seemed less about the product and more about nit-picking.
It's consumer reports, nuff said.

"My hands are cold..."

I think everyone on their staff is a carbon copy of either one of these fictional characters...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justin455
It's consumer reports, nuff said.

Exactly what i was thinking, MSN today had their list of most reliable, almost all of them were from Japan, these people are the most one sided there are. People are claiming very high mileage in cold weather, yet this idiot just can't do it. They will always hate the American automaker, it won't change, they are the typical Honda and Toyota driver.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Exactly what i was thinking, MSN today had their list of most reliable, almost all of them were from Japan, these people are the most one sided there are. People are claiming very high mileage in cold weather, yet this idiot just can't do it. They will always hate the American automaker, it won't change, they are the typical Honda and Toyota driver.
CR does, and has always, offered valid criticism of products including automobiles.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do agree that there seemed to be a fair bit nit-picking about this article, but I do agree with one thing: these cars are never going to be game changers unless they can be made affordable to the average Joe. Consider what a car like the Volt would retail for if it were a regular gasoline powered product, and then you see why paying 40-50K for that same car is a bit ridiculous. These electric cars are great technology show pieces.....but I just have to wonder if they are going to actually lead somewhere.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TriShield
CR does, and has always, offered valid criticism of products including automobiles.
I do agree with that statement, as whole it's a pretty un-biased magazine. But Mr. Champion is simply bitching in this particular article IMHO. There's a difference between making a valid criticism/inspection of a product and bitching that plugging in a plug in vehicle is "annoying". Is it really more annoying than stopping at a gas station and filling up a vehicle?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
The LEAF makes even less since than the Volt. You run out of juice, done. Fail.

So, from the stand point of local commuting the Volt makes more since. Granted the Volt has a high price for that privilege.

Although I don’t know that I would have called the Volt GM's flagship car. GM has long stated it does not expect to turn a profit on the Volt.
SENSE, its even in the thread title.

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I do agree with that statement, as whole it's a pretty un-biased magazine. But Mr. Champion is simply bitching in this particular article IMHO. There's a difference between making a valid criticism/inspection of a product and bitching that plugging in a plug in vehicle is "annoying". Is it really more annoying than stopping at a gas station and filling up a vehicle?
I bet he's complaining about the five hour charging time and not the actual plugging in. I can see where he's coming from. Lets say you go to the store which is a 15-20 round mile trip and you get home. Now because of the weather and mileage he is getting he is pretty much fucked if he wants to travel somewhere else on electricity because of the charge time.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

What's with the shitty range on these cars? The Tesla can do, what, 250 miles per charge? Even the electric car GM killed off how many years ago could go over 100 miles. I think if they could get 300-500 miles a charge they would be worth talking about; but electric cars are nothing new and these things only go less than 50 miles a charge, that's retarded!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thing is, electric cars are almost as old as fuel combustion cars. But there's a good reason why the first generation electric cars did not make it into a second generation. Granted, we have much better technology than they did back in the early 1900's...but the same problems are holding these cars back: cost, charging time/cost, and battery capacity.

Personally, I'm just hoping someone comes up with a different solution that proves to be more worthwhile and cost-efficient. I just don't see the electric car going very far unless someone makes a big breakthrough in charge cell technology.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: battery powered electric cars are not the future. If electric cars are going to take over, it's going to have to be with either hydrogen, solar, a combination of those two, or some yet undeveloped source of electricity. The only way battery cars can be anywhere near as useful and versatile as gas cars is if you had battery swapping stations as regularly as gas stations so you can just swap out the old batteries for fresh ones. Charging batteries just takes way too long, as was demonstrated by the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think electric and solar combos will be the next big thing. This electric car technology has only recently beocme available to the public. I think its unfair to say it wont make it yet as it hasnt been out long enough to make the big improvements that need to be made.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Idk but that leaf is absolutely hidious, looks like a juke and a prius had an offspring.

The sales figures show it.

I agree though, they should be able to go further on a charge
Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
I think electric and solar combos will be the next big thing. This electric car technology has only recently beocme available to the public. I think its unfair to say it wont make it yet as it hasnt been out long enough to make the big improvements that need to be made.
Interesting statement. With solar panels becoming cheaper, I am surprised that the Leaf didn't come with them fixed to the roof for added charging and extended range. They aren't the best thing since sliced bread, but maybe we will see more of this in the future??

I know the average person can power their house with a few car batteries and solar panels at a cost of around $4000 first time initial setup. Expensive to get into, but you would never pay for electricity in your home again!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Takes a lot more than a few car batteries and solar panels, and costs a lot more than $4000; everyone would do it if it was that easy.

I think it'd be pretty cool if they could somehow wrap them in a light absorbing material, and paint with transparent paint or something. Then they don't have the big ugly solar panels that are going to drive people away.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was honestly thinking the same thing when the Volt was first announced. Possibly incorporating solar panels in the exterior panels of the car. At the very least, it should add a couple miles to that electric-only range. Best case, it could even help recharge the vehicle while you are at work, assuming you park outside and not underground.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

I'll get grief from the Volt fans, but oh well. Seems pretty obvious to most of us. These electric hybrid or electric only cars simply aren't what the public wants, though sales overall are increasing, specifally for Prius. I think this is part of why our "green" governmental types are happy with the rising price of suitable fuel sources. They think it will force people to purchase that which they are really rather disinterested in.

The Volt is way overpriced, and that's the most obvious of it's two major concerns. The other has everything to do with the batteries and their operation. People aren't convinced this is the greatest thing since sliced bread... probably because it isn't... Has GM sold 1,000 Volts yet? For that matter, has GM and Nissan combined sold 1,000 Volts and Leafs? The Leaf is also highly overpriced, by the way...

Add the cost of operation and initial purchase, there are 20 better choices out there, I'm sure. The Prius is gaining even more market share!!! That's hilarious to me, honestly.

Several small vehicles cost less than 1/2 what the Volt does, even if they only seat 4. For that price difference, one could buy $4.00pg gasoline and still drive for years before meeting the price of ONLY the Volt, sitting there, looking all cool and stuff. Nearly the same can be said for the LEAF, but it's better while being far worse... No gas to purchase, great... No gas engine, terrible.

Prius is hardly on my list of cars to purchase, but looking at that vs the Volt(way nicer than LEAF to me)... Well, it's an expensive navigation system in the Volt! 36k gets a basically "maxed out" Prius, which can also be had for under 25k in "simple" trim.
Only recently available? Battery powered cars were made in like 1835 and were almost popular until Henry Ford offered the Model T, Then the electric starter was added to gas burners in 1912(?) and that just about did it for battery powered cars(so far)... Stuff's been around for several decades.

Problem was, and is, it's NOT as good for the gp as gasoline or diesel, so the intelligent people let it be(way back when)... That's just how it goes in America. The new technologies of today may be in the trash can tomorrow.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Interesting statement. With solar panels becoming cheaper, I am surprised that the Leaf didn't come with them fixed to the roof for added charging and extended range. They aren't the best thing since sliced bread, but maybe we will see more of this in the future??
I'm surprised the Leaf AND the Volt don't have solar panels. Considering how unbelievably overpriced they are, it only stands to reason.

I know the average person can power their house with a few car batteries and solar panels at a cost of around $4000 first time initial setup. Expensive to get into, but you would never pay for electricity in your home again!
WHOA! SIGN ME UP IMMEDIATELY! Donno 'bout way up north, but if you can provide the panels and so forth, to power even a modest 2500 sq foot home properly, all for around 4k... I'm IN!!! BRING IT!!! I'll never need my $3,000+ emergency generator again! But DON'T bring car batteries! Bring the $300 plus solar batteries.

When I looked into solar, the cost was WELL over 4k for a 2450 sq ft home. That was in FL, where it would get plenty of sunlight. Solar panels are still too large and very expensive in America. For 4k, I'd seriously not expect to "solar power" more than my hot water system. That's the whole system, but still... doesn't even cover the tv!!!

Still, the Volt and LEAF may just soar in sales, were they to get solar panels.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'll get grief from the Volt fans, but oh well. Seems pretty obvious to most of us. These electric hybrid or electric only cars simply aren't what the public wants, though sales overall are increasing, specifally for Prius. I think this is part of why our "green" governmental types are happy with the rising price of suitable fuel sources. They think it will force people to purchase that which they are really rather disinterested in.

The Volt is way overpriced, and that's the most obvious of it's two major concerns. The other has everything to do with the batteries and their operation. People aren't convinced this is the greatest thing since sliced bread... probably because it isn't... Has GM sold 1,000 Volts yet? For that matter, has GM and Nissan combined sold 1,000 Volts and Leafs? The Leaf is also highly overpriced, by the way...

Add the cost of operation and initial purchase, there are 20 better choices out there, I'm sure. The Prius is gaining even more market share!!! That's hilarious to me, honestly.

Several small vehicles cost less than 1/2 what the Volt does, even if they only seat 4. For that price difference, one could buy $4.00pg gasoline and still drive for years before meeting the price of ONLY the Volt, sitting there, looking all cool and stuff. Nearly the same can be said for the LEAF, but it's better while being far worse... No gas to purchase, great... No gas engine, terrible.

Prius is hardly on my list of cars to purchase, but looking at that vs the Volt(way nicer than LEAF to me)... Well, it's an expensive navigation system in the Volt! 36k gets a basically "maxed out" Prius, which can also be had for under 25k in "simple" trim.
Only recently available? Battery powered cars were made in like 1835 and were almost popular until Henry Ford offered the Model T, Then the electric starter was added to gas burners in 1912(?) and that just about did it for battery powered cars(so far)... Stuff's been around for several decades.

Problem was, and is, it's NOT as good for the gp as gasoline or diesel, so the intelligent people let it be(way back when)... That's just how it goes in America. The new technologies of today may be in the trash can tomorrow.

I'm surprised the Leaf AND the Volt don't have solar panels. Considering how unbelievably overpriced they are, it only stands to reason.

WHOA! SIGN ME UP IMMEDIATELY! Donno 'bout way up north, but if you can provide the panels and so forth, to power even a modest 2500 sq foot home properly, all for around 4k... I'm IN!!! BRING IT!!! I'll never need my $3,000+ emergency generator again! But DON'T bring car batteries! Bring the $300 plus solar batteries.

When I looked into solar, the cost was WELL over 4k for a 2450 sq ft home. That was in FL, where it would get plenty of sunlight. Solar panels are still too large and very expensive in America. For 4k, I'd seriously not expect to "solar power" more than my hot water system. That's the whole system, but still... doesn't even cover the tv!!!

Still, the Volt and LEAF may just soar in sales, were they to get solar panels.
Well take it however you want. I have a coworker that powers his farm up north on wind and solar alone (he is completely off the grid). He initially began with his house on solar alone, using 12V batteries to store the power (Spent just over $4K for that setup). Sure, it's not for everyone, but with a little research and know-how, it can be done. You don't have to believe me, it's such a minor debate in the energy circle anyway.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports - Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Upcoming Electric Cars Don't Make Sense