Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Best and worst used cars : YAHOO

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Astros and Safaris were built on S10 1/4 ton chassis with the same powertrain.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You must be looking at a completely different world than I am. There are TONS of high mileage Hondas/Toyotas around here with 200k+ miles. Some with 500k+. On the original powertrain.
word

I don't see many 90's luminas, cavaliers, dodge avengers, neons, grand prixs around. Mainly accords/civics and camrys/corollas.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Like I said...go for ride and count whats sitting along side the rode broke down...You can see for yourself that way.
opposite of what you see.

Yes, most imports are boring cars but usually they last longer.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Like I said...go for ride and count whats sitting along side the rode broke down...You can see for yourself that way.
Maybe Virginia is different than Texas, but we don't have a bunch of broken down cars just sitting on the side of the road...
Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Astros and Safaris were built on S10 1/4 ton chassis with the same powertrain.
No they weren't.

Similar to the Ford Aerostar, it utilized powertrain components common to GM's other light trucks, yet unlike the trucks the chassis was unibody in structure with a front sub-frame to support the engine and front suspension.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Astro
Old 03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Lol ^ . My mistake, I learn something new everyday
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To chime in any car has the potential to go the distance given that the owner performs the required maintenance at the scheduled intervals. For instance My mom has a 99 Chevrolet Cavalier with 389K on original power train one thing I can say is that my dad always performed the required maintenance. It still isnt showing any signs of giving up soon and the lack of power level doesnt feel any different than it did when it was new . From my knowledge most Toyata dealerships throw in free oil changes and services for there cars. There are a lot of factors that go into how long a car lasts for instance I can gaurantee that a large number of people in the US buy american brands due to family loyaltees and a large number of those folks dont take care of there car. Drive it until the wheels fall off then sell or send it to a junk yard. One of the worst things you can do to your car is drive it when its not running right a slight miss will throw the whole assembly slightly off balance causing stresses on bearings, wierd harmonics and list of things that will shave thousands of miles off a cars life. Think of how often you pull up to or some one pulls up next to you and you think god what an idiot replace the f&^# ing spark plugs or change that belt. We all know those people some are family some are friends but once again most are rolling in an american built car. A lot of this is due to the fact that people like to allways have a new model screw it if it breaks ill just get a new one. Most of everyone on this forum has some mechanical knowledge especially because of the cars we drive I cant even begin list how much stuff I tore up on my 68 GTO that big block busted transmissions, rear ends, requireed biweekly lifter adjustments, ext. My WS6 is laid up in my garage right now due to a oil fire (Plastic oil gauge broke and sprayed my header down while I was out beating on it a month or so back. I grabbed the extinguisher and put it out but it still messed some stuff up.) What I am getting at here is regardless of these mishaps I am going to fix it again and its because of all this mishaps I have become a decent mechanic. My hobbie has become modifying things to make them go faster, Ive done everything from mustangs to subaru's the the dreaded neon, and even several SR20 swaps in S13's and S14's. Whether foreign or domestic all these drivetrains operate on the exact same priciples. You want american cars to do better teach the idiots how to change there oil. I am done rambling now.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i always thought while being extremely mediocre cavaliers were underrated as far as being good cars.

i seem to remember them getting excellent gas mileage and being very trouble free. feel free to share your personal experiences. i thought they were decently built little shitboxes lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Disposable?
What is this, 1979? LOL
Nothing that GM or Ford (and even Chrysler) currently makes/sells is what I would ever call disposable or total pieces of sh*t.
I'm driving an 11+ year old Camaro, a car that wasn't even considered among the 'better' domestic nameplate offerings back then, that's been raced and beaten on and lately hasn't even been all that well maintained and it's still an impeccably reliable and dependable car (that also runs high 11s and gets 26mpg as a bonus).

Can we please leave the dark era of the '70s and '80s behind and not let bias and bad history cloud our judgement.
Because if we're going to do that then I can bring up Asian vehicles from the '50s and '60s as well...talk about disposable cars that had bad resale LOL.
Ditto sentiments about the Camaro. I think the only thing you could label as a piece of ****, in comparison to other carmaker's models from the time, are our power windows. That was the only complaint about my '95 Impala too
Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

There's not much restoring of foregen cars going on either....they kind of deteior(?) away to nothing. Who thell would want to restore a camary? What a mundane vehicle.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
***Repost Police***

Sure Camrys are boring, and so are Tauruses (SHO being the exception), Fusions, Accords, etc... it's the segment that is generally boring, not one specific car.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

There's not much restoring of foregen cars going on either....they kind of deteior(?) away to nothing.
I bring that up all of the time...when ya watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions on Speed Channel you certainly don't see '60s/'70s era Toyota Coronas selling for $200k+.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Yes, because comparing a 1971 Corona to a '53 Corvette (or something of the like) is a totally legitimate comparison...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Someone kick yahoo in the go-nads.. It was probally some C**** who wrote this anywayz..

Quick Reply: Best and worst used cars : YAHOO