Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Car Life's Road Test Comparator - 1969

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TriShield
Someday I want to have a restored 66-67 Catalina 421 to cruise in.
My dad had a '66 Bonneville (with a 389 I believe), it served more as a family car than a performance one so not quite a 421 Catalina of course but it was a big Pontiac just the same. Some of my very earliest memories were of riding in that car.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Idonno how into drag racing you are, but "pure stock" cars aren't actually stock.
The last time I read about it was in Muscle Car Review over ten years ago. Weren't they allowed to run modern tires and electronic ignition?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

I probably mis-spoke a bit, as "pure stock" is sometimes used to define "Pure Street" or "Factory Stock" in drag racing while "Pure Stock" itself is also a class for oval track racing... roundy round.

In drag racing, they're allowed several small changes, but they do have a very strict list they must adhere to or not be allowed to race in that class. I've seen "pure stock" or "pure street" cars run literally seconds quicker than factory stock, which is another class, incidentally, much the same as pure stock in several rules.

Pure Street/Factory Stock cars are allowed(in some sanctioning bodies) any fan setup, head porting, headers(larger than stock) different heads(usually offered by the same manufacturer or stock style aftermarket), solid engine mounts, altered engine location(move it back) so long as it doesnt touch the factory firewall, fuel cells, aftermarket pumps and lines, slightly altered valve angles, milling... Several things can be and are changed for competitive advantage. Some are even allowed weight breaks.

Some would think by the short list above, nearly anything goes, but of course, in racing, there's plenty more. The pure stock class typically requires factory displacement, with a slight overbore in some cases. No stroking the engine, no one off heads, cranks, etc. Ultimately though, "Pure Stock" is hardly actual stock and those cars generally whip an actually stock car with no trouble. It does depend on the sanctioning body, but generally speaking, they really aren't stock.

In any case, the cars really aren't stock and their chassis' are typically more rigid than stock with the addition of a roll cage.

Pure Stock Muscle Car drag racing is also different than most, and holds FAR more serious regulations, limiting almost everything to its factory stock location, requiring model year matched components from end to end, but does allow some changes as well, such as any gear ratio, in some cases a transmission replacement is allowed(still using factory stock offerings), and a compression bump(up 1.5pts I believe). Pistons are probably changeable in most or many applications, but the cars used are limited to something like 66-74 models only. Most of those cars are required to maintain stock components regarding ignition and body specs across the board, so they're really not competitive with most drag racing organisations.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfsblut
The 409 was only available until 1964.
But the song is cool
Almost correct, a 409 could be had until 1965, they quit installing them half-way throught the 65 model year.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Pure Stock Muscle Car drag racing is also different than most, and holds FAR more serious regulations, limiting almost everything to its factory stock location, requiring model year matched components from end to end, but does allow some changes as well, such as any gear ratio, in some cases a transmission replacement is allowed(still using factory stock offerings), and a compression bump(up 1.5pts I believe). Pistons are probably changeable in most or many applications, but the cars used are limited to something like 66-74 models only. Most of those cars are required to maintain stock components regarding ignition and body specs across the board, so they're really not competitive with most drag racing organisations.
Is that the class that I see all of the almost bone appearing muscle cars with the old school 'red stripe' bias ply tires on them?
Those cars are insane as some are actually in the 10s on those skinny tires when the air and track prep cooperate.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Is that the class that I see all of the almost bone appearing muscle cars with the old school 'red stripe' bias ply tires on them?
Those cars are insane as some are actually in the 10s on those skinny tires when the air and track prep cooperate.
Could be... Some folks just prefer the red stripe tires for looks, but few race with them... Dang things got expensive. I've not seen any 10's with them either.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Here's a little more on what we're talkin' about:

http://www.stockappearingdrags.com/

Could be... Some folks just prefer the red stripe tires for looks, but few race with them... Dang things got expensive. I've not seen any 10's with them either.
True, I think they do have some choice on tires (but no drag radials):

TIRES & WHEELS

You can use either bias ply tires or street radial tires. But they must have complete street treads. No tires that require tubes. You are allowed to have up to 15" wheels and tires widened to the 60 series. This means if your car came with 14's or 15" bias plys you can run up to 15" street radials if you would like. You may run a maximum street 60 series tire size of G-60 or 245/60R15, or you may run a maximum street 70 series tire size of G-70 or 225/70R15. If you use G-60-15 tires they MUST fit easily into your fenderwells, no jacked up rear ends. Your car must maintain a level stance.

Standard street tires only, with street treads, no 2 or 3 line Tires,

NO BFGoodrich Drag Radials, NO Goodyear Drag Radials, NO Dunlop Drag Radials, NO Nitto Drag Radials, NO Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, NO Hoosier Tires, NO Phoenix Tires, NO M&H Racemaster Tires, Hopefully you got the idea

Recommended Tires:

Dunlop GT Radials...Goodyear Eagle GT Radials...BF Goodrich Radial T/A...Coker Red Line Radials...Coker Red Line Bias Ply...Firestone Wide Oval Bias Ply

BF Goodrich Bias Ply
Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

There are some really beautiful cars on that site.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM

If you would really like to see some on these cars in action:

http://www.youtube.com/PureStockDrags
Old 05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone who likes watching "old muscle" gettin' down the track, I recommend that link... Nice stuff.

Quick Reply: Car Life's Road Test Comparator - 1969