Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2012 45th Anniversary Camaro & New V6 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011 | 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Who is responsible for that stripe?
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

The interior... why did they get rid of the nice steering wheel (honestly, probably the best looking current production steering wheel) and replace it with that ugly POS. What I'm looking forward to hearing most is whether or not they will throw in a auto option for the ZL1...
Old 04-14-2011 | 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=turbowhistle86;14779373]
Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
GM used to do exciting different ****.. typhoon, grand national, twin turbo trans am... QUOTE]

When did they build a twin turbo Trans Am? They are still making different cars, they're just focusing on hybrids, electrics, and building things that sell 60 or 70,000 units per year instead of 5,000. Trust me, with the EPA regulations coming and threat of manufacturer-wide MPG averages, you want them to build boring, econo-boxes so they can still afford to build the really cool ****!
89, i dont know why i said twin turbo i dont think it was but either way... a cool car. They are going to build the boring **** regardless.
Old 04-14-2011 | 08:12 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Paul87
The interior... why did they get rid of the nice steering wheel (honestly, probably the best looking current production steering wheel) and replace it with that ugly POS. What I'm looking forward to hearing most is whether or not they will throw in a auto option for the ZL1...
I think you are the only person in the world I've ever heard of that really liked the original 2010 Camaro steering wheel.
Old 04-14-2011 | 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Most people I know like it, including people who own the car. If I bought a 2012+ Camaro SS or ZL1, I personaly would swap it in. I think the only interior feature I don't care for, limited visibility aside, is the radio with it's two huge *****.
Old 04-14-2011 | 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Paul87
Donno about the trans, but I wouldn't expect an auto option.

As for the steering wheel... You LIKED the original? Looks have little to do with the steering wheel. It simply must "perform" well. Form over function earned it some seriously harsh remarks. It's downright uncomfortable compared to most and that's not acceptable, so they changed it.
Old 04-14-2011 | 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like they finally put a steering wheel in that car that doesn't require wrist-yoga to use in aggressive driving maneuvers. Unfortunately it's a wheel from the generic Chevy parts bin, but oh well.

And yea, the hood stripe must go.
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I personally dont mind the stripe at all, kind of reminds me of fender stripes, which I know arent for everyone either. Symetrical would have been nice for the stripe, but hey, weren't people just bitching about GM not doing anything new/different?

lol, geuss you can't please everyone.

And it has been 45 years since the camaro was put onto the market, so calling it the 45th anniversary is fine by me

gotta love the red/white/blue stitching too

and lol at the people who say that this isn't news worthy...you think they should have just put it out available to order and not tell anyody in advance? It's not like the 25th, 30th, and 35th packages were anything more than cosmetic packages...your logic confuses me...
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it's a good package, I just don't think the stripe was well thought-out.
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it looks great, even the stripe. But I would have to see it in person and on the road to pass final judgement. I use ti think the 35th LE cars were very bland looking from photos but look fantastic in person.

I think its funny they added a rear mount camera, probably caught on to the horrible rear view the car has.
Old 04-15-2011 | 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmurray87
I think it looks great, even the stripe. But I would have to see it in person and on the road to pass final judgement. I use ti think the 35th LE cars were very bland looking from photos but look fantastic in person.

I think its funny they added a rear mount camera, probably caught on to the horrible rear view the car has.
Rear view cameras are government mandated by 2014(IIRC, not toally certain about the exact year)...you can thank Uncle Sam, and the stupidest drivers in America for that

Hope you like them, because they will be on EVERY car sold in the nest few years, NOT an option
Old 04-15-2011 | 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Looks like they finally put a steering wheel in that car that doesn't require wrist-yoga to use in aggressive driving maneuvers. Unfortunately it's a wheel from the generic Chevy parts bin, but oh well.
Another case of be careful of what you wish for.

I had no issues driving the Camaro with the bespoke, retro/concept inspired wheel it came with. I also liked the style of it.

Now it has a parts bin wheel. I can't say I'm terribly pleased by that.
Old 04-15-2011 | 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

These minor changes to the '12 Camaro are going to draw customers. That's cool for GM. I except another great year for the Camaro.
Old 04-15-2011 | 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
And it has been 45 years since the camaro was put onto the market, so calling it the 45th anniversary is fine by me
If I were married for 5 years, divorced for 2, then re-married the same woman for the past 3 years, we are not celebrating our 10th Anniversary. Just sayin'
Old 04-15-2011 | 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z Fury
If I were married for 5 years, divorced for 2, then re-married the same woman for the past 3 years, we are not celebrating our 10th Anniversary. Just sayin'
Seriously, you couldn't be more correct.

I wanna know what GM was thinking when they killed the F-body.
Old 04-15-2011 | 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
lol, geuss you can't please everyone.
Nope, no chance.

If ya got married 45years ago, but divorced 15yrs ago, would you still celebrate your 45th anniversary? No... You wouldn't. I know a couple who was married, divorced and later remarried... They don't celebrate as if they never split.

I don't care what they call it, personally. The "brand" is 45 later this yr... So that's their choice. Still, I can see people having second thoughts.

gotta love the red/white/blue stitching too
I totally didn't even notice. If I had, I'd probably have left that alone, considering where GM has always chosen to build it.

and lol at the people who say that this isn't news worthy...you think they should have just put it out available to order and not tell anyody in advance? It's not like the 25th, 30th, and 35th packages were anything more than cosmetic packages...your logic confuses me...
I agree with this idea, but when will the car hit showrooms? Before, or after people lose interest? It seems, in America, you can tell us all about the latest and greatest something or other, and 6mo later, it's already old hat.
Old 04-15-2011 | 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by texas94z
They were probably thinking the car wasn't built with the desired quality and didn't produce enough profit for GM. They were likely also thinking it wasn't selling well and maybe also thinking that it hurt Corvette sales. Finally, they were probably thinking the plant was nearly 40yrs old and not updated enough to suit the union or save production costs.

In short, they were actually THINKING and decided to drop that car for awhile for various reasons.
Old 04-15-2011 | 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texas94z
Seriously, you couldn't be more correct.

I think the issues with the F-body platform were well numerous and well publicized. GM was on its downhill slide before they cut the F-body platform, which was a casualty of their bad business plans. Hopefully they are smarter post-bankruptcy.
Old 04-15-2011 | 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didnt see any weight saving things on that list. some nice suspension bits but that was about it
Old 04-15-2011 | 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tainted
I didnt see any weight saving things on that list. some nice suspension bits but that was about it
The LFX delivers the most standard power in the regular sports car segment. It is also 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter than its predecessor, which promotes a more balanced driving experience. EPA-estimated highway fuel economy for the 2012 Camaro is 30 mpg (2LS model).
7th "paragraph" down on the 1st post.

It isn't much, but it's better than it used to be.

Quick Reply: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro & New V6 Engine