Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Lincoln's Future in Doubt, Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good retro vehicle they could have made is a Merc Cougar, based on the mustang platform with the new 5.0 . That would probably sell fairly well maybe even a Cougar Eliminator based on the Boss package. Just saying.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kennyxg
A good retro vehicle they could have made is a Merc Cougar, based on the mustang platform with the new 5.0 . That would probably sell fairly well maybe even a Cougar Eliminator based on the Boss package. Just saying.
Nahhhh... They just removed the entire Merc lineup. Besides, ANOTHER Mustang? No thank you. It'd just be another Ford with a Lincoln (or Mercury) nameplate.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are also plenty of people that are cluless. My brother in law thinks that Lincolns are completely different from Fords, and that they are way nicer than any comparable model from Ford. I told him they were basically the same thing, and he looked at me like I was crazy. He also tried to tell me that Mercury was also more luxorious than Ford....

poor guy
Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

lincoln sucks plain and simple. add 20k to a ford and its a lincoln
Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by assasinator
by the same token, add 20k to a Tahoe and its an Escalade...they all share the same platform, only seperation is the interior upgrades.

BTW, does anyone know when the new gen Navigators are due out? I have searched but had no luck on getting info. I was close to buying a 2011 Navigator, but the stealership wanted to low ball my G35 trade in.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
by the same token, add 20k to a Tahoe and its an Escalade...they all share the same platform, only seperation is the interior upgrades.
Closer to 25k...

In defense of both (as if there really is one), they do get standard features their Chevy/Ford counterparts either don't get at all or bring their prices way up. The interiors don't only look different to me, but also feel quite different and more comfortable in full size models. I wouldn't strongly consider a Lincoln Navigator over the Ford Expedition or the Escalade over the Tahoe, except when considering looks and comfort. The pricing doesn't warrant those upgrades for me but surely does for many.

I looked at the Mountaineer and Aviator along with the Explorer (and many other SUV's) and when it was over, I took the Explorer home. I could've gotten more, but the price just didn't justify the differences in those. Parhaps in cars it would, but I doubt it. A navigation system and sun/moon roof along with rear entertainment were the only things I didn't get, but likely would've on the other two. Price difference was over 5k though, and that seemed wrong. The Lincoln did get the 302hp engine and mine was only 239 or whatever, but even so... Today, the Aviator is worth from $1,500-2k more and the Mercury is even less, otherwise equally equipped.

BTW, does anyone know when the new gen Navigators are due out? I have searched but had no luck on getting info. I was close to buying a 2011 Navigator, but the stealership wanted to low ball my G35 trade in.
Are they making big changes? It would almost be weird to see a Navigator with major differences in exterior design.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Closer to 25k...

In defense of both (as if there really is one), they do get standard features their Chevy/Ford counterparts either don't get at all or bring their prices way up. The interiors don't only look different to me, but also feel quite different and more comfortable in full size models. I wouldn't strongly consider a Lincoln Navigator over the Ford Expedition or the Escalade over the Tahoe, except when considering looks and comfort. The pricing doesn't warrant those upgrades for me but surely does for many.

I looked at the Mountaineer and Aviator along with the Explorer (and many other SUV's) and when it was over, I took the Explorer home. I could've gotten more, but the price just didn't justify the differences in those. Parhaps in cars it would, but I doubt it. A navigation system and sun/moon roof along with rear entertainment were the only things I didn't get, but likely would've on the other two. Price difference was over 5k though, and that seemed wrong. The Lincoln did get the 302hp engine and mine was only 239 or whatever, but even so... Today, the Aviator is worth from $1,500-2k more and the Mercury is even less, otherwise equally equipped.

Are they making big changes? It would almost be weird to see a Navigator with major differences in exterior design.
I had read that the Navigator was gonna be redesigned by 2013 or 14. 2012 models were gonna get the new engine line from Ford trucks(6.2 or 5.0..I assume). The current 5.4 is gonna be phased out by the end of this model year.

One of the reasons I wanted to get the Navigator was because of the interior upgrades over the Expediton...but also they hold their value better than its Ford counterpart. Thats a huge bonus to me.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
It has been that way for a while

anyone remember the versailles?

and the ford granada

Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
I had read that the Navigator was gonna be redesigned by 2013 or 14. 2012 models were gonna get the new engine line from Ford trucks(6.2 or 5.0..I assume). The current 5.4 is gonna be phased out by the end of this model year.

One of the reasons I wanted to get the Navigator was because of the interior upgrades over the Expediton...but also they hold their value better than its Ford counterpart. Thats a huge bonus to me.
Didn't know a tihng about any remodel, but it does make sense the engine and trans will be replaced at very least. The 3valve isn't bad, but the new lineup is better, I'm sure. Maybe they'll offer the 3.5L TT in the AWD versions as well. That could raise the towing capacity by losing overall weight. It should also get better economy.

The interior upgrades, I like. The value holding, I don't much like. Surely the long-term value is higher, but the real reason is the low production rather than all the upgrades.

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
It has been that way for a while

anyone remember the versailles?
Heh... I'm not quite sure the 20k diff applied to those.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my Lincoln MKS. It's very comfortable and it has all the creature comforts that I could ask for...and it leased less than a Taurus SHO. That and it's a 13.0 car with
the tune. Not too bad IMO.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Didn't know a tihng about any remodel, but it does make sense the engine and trans will be replaced at very least. The 3valve isn't bad, but the new lineup is better, I'm sure. Maybe they'll offer the 3.5L TT in the AWD versions as well. That could raise the towing capacity by losing overall weight. It should also get better economy.

The interior upgrades, I like. The value holding, I don't much like. Surely the long-term value is higher, but the real reason is the low production rather than all the upgrades.

Heh... I'm not quite sure the 20k diff applied to those.
well it was ~ a $5k diff in 1977 dollars which would be roughly $20k in 2011 dollars.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
well it was ~ a $5k diff in 1977 dollars which would be roughly $20k in 2011 dollars.
$18,557 actually, so pretty damned close!

Quick Reply: Lincoln's Future in Doubt, Again