Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Autoblog - 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
What difference does the crate price make?
Apparently about a $14,000 difference.
Using an aluminum block would almost make it worth what they are asking for, considering the Camaro and Mustang both run aluminum blocks, and both cost less...
The point is, even with the iron block MOPAR uses, this thing is priced like the GT500 it can't REMOTELY compete with in any performance area I've seen. Maybe it doesn't have a speed limiter and will go faster up top...

If Dodge switches to an aluminum block, it will put the car in the 55k range.

Originally Posted by TriShield
That's pretty subjective.

This car has all the performance (and then some) most people will want (or ever use) plus space and more comfort all with the X-factor (style) the Challenger has over the Camaro and Mustang. It already is the 3rd best selling coupe in the country behind the other two as well. I'd say it's kind of in a class all it's own.
It is subjective... The subject is PERFORMANCE vs price. That SRT-8 is one of my favorite cars for several reasons. It does perform well and it has a beautiful exterior along with a big'ol honkin' V8 under the hood(and a great transmission from the looks of it).

On the other hand, it performs along with the Mustang GT on the drag strip(especially if the cars Dodge sent to race weren't ringers) and the Camaro SS in handling. That said, in a total performance and price comparison, it still loses to either and costs some $12,000.00 more in so doing, considering the base pricing and the gas guzzler tax. If this car is worth 42k plus, those are worth as much. In typical Dodge fashion, they overpriced the car as if it's just that special, but it isn't. When the day comes this car can handily outperform the others, I'll gladly say so. Today, it cannot.

Since there are several cars given the "coupe" label in America, I can't see how this one is #3 on the list of sales... I'd be willing to believe the Honda Civic coupe outsells it nearly 3:1, for example.

I also think it's in a class of its own... The class of overpriced sports styled cars that will spend most of its life tucked away in a garage while its owner smiles about his/her investment.

Do I like it? You bet I do! That doesn't make it better than everything else, or anything else for that matter.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Around here Challengers have better resale value too
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Teching In

MOPAR nailed this with styling I feel. But the price seems only for the die hard MOPAR fans.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the style, even the performance, interior, and heritage. But, I still can't get over the size. I went to the dealer to look at it again and I get within 15 feet thinking, nice. But then I walk closer and it just keeps getting bigger!! The hood is above my waist! I just wish they could scale this thing down to 75% of the current size. It would be so much cooler!!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

BTW that ******* article sucked. The writing I mean.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:15 AM

Just in case some of you don't know, the 392 is way underated, I left my 392 IE Challenger with Borla and it got 440 RWHP before the Catback and 448 after! I haven't taken it to the track, but with Dyno numbers like these, I'd say Mopar Action wasn't lying when they said they ran a 12.29 at 111. Not bad for a 4200 lb car that makes a thud when the door closes instead of a ting!

Quick Reply: Autoblog - 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 HEMI