Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Camaro outselling Mustang again

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by NvyBlue
Because Ford is going faster for equal (or less) money?
then buy a ******* mustang.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You asked... If I could afford one, I would. But I cant so I went with 300rwhp out of the box for 1/5th the price of a new one.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

You asked... If I could afford one, I would. But I cant so I went with 300rwhp out of the box for 1/5th the price of a new one.
so youre not a potential buyer so it doesnt matter to GM or ford.

and no **** you can get a more powerful, less expensive vehicle used. some people want and can afford new cars and are buying 5th gens more than mustangs.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 04-29-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
dont start that sales argument again, thats stupid.
But I actually wasn't throwing it out there as a comparison to the Mustang, I was only using it to show that what some might consider flaws or downsides about the car (as alluded to above) have still not swayed many others from buying it.
I'm sure plenty others still find the Mustang just as (or even more) attractive, hence why they're still selling quite well also.

This is true right now. I do love both cars and the newer platform of the Camaro would make my final decision very difficult if shopping these two cars today. But I'd likely still have to go for the Mustang GT based on it's better power to weight ratio.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The gap in sales is closing, aka the Mustang catching up so its a matter of time before Mustang takes #1 for a month or so again. I bet May the Mustang has the winning sales, but just a feeling I have.

Either way I don't care, its just great to see these cars selling well so they will be around for a long while.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a VERY stupid argument when talking sales. The LS1 f-bodies were much faster than their Mustang GT counterparts, but look which sold (much) more? Now the Camaro is slightly behind in performance (albeit, closer than the 2v was to the LS1) and but has the sales lead.

SPEED =/= SALES.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WSsick
That's a VERY stupid argument when talking sales. The LS1 f-bodies were much faster than their Mustang GT counterparts, but look which sold (much) more? Now the Camaro is slightly behind in performance (albeit, closer than the 2v was to the LS1) and but has the sales lead.

SPEED =/= SALES.
follow the course of the discussion. it was in response to "why cant people just accept GM did an excellent job with a 5th gen and stop bitching?"
Old 04-29-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Kinda like the same thing the Camaro did to the Mustang between 1993-2002. They were closely priced but the Camaro z28 was faster than the GT. The SS had a slight edge over the Cobra. Still the Mustang sold better. So you are saying???

Who cares if the Mustang GT is very slightly quicker than the SS. We are talking "max" .2-.3 tenths.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
follow the course of the discussion. it was in response to "why cant people just accept GM did an excellent job with a 5th gen and stop bitching?"
Bingo. You guys aren't looking at the question I was answering. Camaro fans aren't happy and won't admit GM made a great car because it's 2nd best right now. A lot of the huge 4th gen following was because it trounced that generation of Mustang.

I KNOW SPEED =/= SALES.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe we wait till around Monday and see the reports... Otherwise, this thread is basically 1 month too late. Or maybe it's early and we just don't know the numbers.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Either way, were almost back to the hayday of Ford/chevy rivalry. They keep building them faster and price competitive and we all win.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Splitting hairs between the two.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This gets beat to death everytime someone has to post up the sales figures. I understand the GM fans' enthusiasm over how well the Camaro is doing sales-wise, but it's not exactly delivering a hammering to the Mustang sales either. If Ford sold, say, 3400 Mustangs one month compared to GM's 18,000 Camaro's......then, yea, I could see the need for some cheerleading. But the Mustang isn't going anywhere anymore than the Corvette is. Those two are flagship cars for their respective companies. I guess we can conclude that the Mustang's sales are no more a sign of weakness than the Camaro's relative performance metrics. One is really splitting hairs in both cases at this point.

Ford is still doing pretty well with a car that hasn't had a major redesign since 04 (with a new design on the way for 2014), and GM is set to start dropping a variety of SE Camaro models (starting with the ZL1 and perhaps a new Z28)...so I think this rivalry only stands to get stronger as the next few years roll in.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I think the price of the two cars is very comparable (judging by the ones i looked at in the lots) but the camaros came with the brembos. But I think Mustangs will take back the sales lead when they start giving rebates and camaros prob wont give much. I am a GM fan but I was really leaning towards the Mustangs till i heard about them not using tremec (NOT SAYING THE TRANSMISSIONS ARE JUNK) but Id prefer a tremec.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
I think the price of the two cars is very comparable (judging by the ones i looked at in the lots) but the camaros came with the brembos. But I think Mustangs will take back the sales lead when they start giving rebates and camaros prob wont give much. I am a GM fan but I was really leaning towards the Mustangs till i heard about them not using tremec (NOT SAYING THE TRANSMISSIONS ARE JUNK) but Id prefer a tremec.
I will say it then! lol The GetRag MT-82 transmission is junk.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
I will say it then! lol The GetRag MT-82 transmission is junk.
I must've missed it. How many have you had again?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

Manufacturer TSB's tell the story
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...victoms-8.htmlhttp://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...thread-43.html or just look at the Faulty Transmissions Plague 2011 thread
Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

I don't understand why people hate on Mustangs when it comes to the business end of the industry. It's one thing to talk **** at the track and spark a little competition and rivalry, but the entire industry benefits when both platforms are successful. If the Mustang is at risk of going the way of the dodo, it hurts everyone. Leave your brand loyalty on the pavement.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

camaro wins another month. get used to it mustang lovers and camaro haters.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...+mustang+sales

ill start another topic on this.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
Manufacturer TSB's tell the story or just look at the Faulty Transmissions Plague 2011 thread
You're not making a valid point here... So what it if some MT82's have problems? That alone doesn't prove the transmission is junk. It's in literally thousands of car w/o problems... Far more w/o, in fact..

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
camaro wins another month. get used to it mustang lovers and camaro haters.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...+mustang+sales
Congratulations to GM... Best month ever for the current platform(by scads it seems).

I'll save my laughter over the "get used to it" stupidity. That nonsense has been spewed for decades... Mustang held a sales lead basically from 1979 through 2008(not to mention the overall lead probably since the beginning of F-body)... Don't get all upity over a couple months... or even 2yrs. Others will simply throw it in your face as quickly as sales turn around... History dictates they will.

For years, F-body fans have complained to Mustang fans(and anyone else) that Mustangs had a sales lead but it didn't matter to them because the Camaro performed better. They said Mustang owners were "just gay" or "women" or what have you... Now here you are, touting a sales lead when the tables have been turned on the performance end... That's kinda funny.

Quick Reply: Camaro outselling Mustang again