Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

What the???? LEAF OUTSELLING VOLT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What the???? LEAF OUTSELLING VOLT?

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/lea...alf-sales.html

Was this article REAL? Whoa...

And how/why did we miss it till today?

Then again, with 6,620 TOTAL U.S. SALES between the two(over the past 6 months), it's clear people are not running into dealerships to get one. That's less than 1 months sales for a number of vehicles in America, but this is two totally different cars combined... OUCH! Pretty much exactly where I saw this going... so far. They'll keep plugging away, of course. They've got billions invested in these wannabe useful cars.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
http://www.insideline.com/nissan/lea...alf-sales.html

Was this article REAL? Whoa...

And how/why did we miss it till today?

Then again, with 6,620 TOTAL U.S. SALES between the two(over the past 6 months), it's clear people are not running into dealerships to get one. That's less than 1 months sales for a number of vehicles in America, but this is two totally different cars combined... OUCH! Pretty much exactly where I saw this going... so far. They'll keep plugging away, of course. They've got billions invested in these wannabe useful cars.
good. i hope it stays that way
Old 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't care who you are, the Volt looks way better than the Leaf..
who wants to drive a leaf anyways??
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it's advertised for the blind people.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the numbers are very close especially considering the huge difference in price point.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
IMO the numbers are very close especially considering the huge difference in price point.
Even close, the numbers look REAL BAD for each company! These cars are selling like... like... Like Americans, by and large, DON'T friggin' want 'em!

Sales wise: It's a surprise, considering the fact VOLT was leading until June and now it's behind. Nissan must've either finally got their advertising down, or offered some major discount... something. Either way, their combined 6 months sales are abysmal, at best. At this rate, the country will be RID of "electric cars" within a few years. At least from a national sales perspective.

I don't think GM or Nissan has another vehicle in the lineup, save perhaps ZR1(which really goes directly into Corvette sales) and the GT-R(which isn't just high priced, but also hard to get) selling lower numbers even month by month, let alone in 6mo stretches.

Admitedly, I want these cars to succed on a very, very low level. The last thing I want to see in the automotive world is a really popular electric(or any other hybrid, sans solar) vehicle. E85 and ethanol in general is killing engines, electricity prices are going up, wind is unheard of(as a direct power source), nuclear is decades away(because they're scared) and Hydrogen isn't really a hybrid, just an alternative. Electric cars COULD HAVE been the future, If it's to be from here on, it will take decades.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JHL88
good. i hope it stays that way
Same here, maybe they will wise up and start spending their hybrid research money on making their gas engines get better mileage. Electric is NOT the future, who wants to buy something that can't even go 100 miles without stoping for 7+ hours to recharge it.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Keep in mind that GM sold every VOLT that has been produced.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Leaf is fugly. The Volt is the smarter option but it's so damn expensive.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by texas94z
Keep in mind that GM sold every VOLT that has been produced.
Not so... According to chevy.com, pick "build your own" Volt, then add your Denton zip and check dealers within 150 miles. Within 100(probably w/i 40) miles of Denton, there are 10 to choose from, ranging in price from $41,015 to $44,839. I only checked that market, but I'm of the belief others are available in other markets.

RAY HUFFINES CHEVROLET, INC. =1 VIN: 1G1RD6E44BU103730

FRIENDLY CHEVROLET, LTD. =1 VIN: 1G1RD6E45BU103512

JUPITER CHEVROLET, L.P. =1 VIN: 1G1RD6E42BU103712

EL DORADO MOTORS, INC. =1 VIN: 1G1RD6E44BU103744

VANDERGRIFF CHEVROLET =1 VIN: 1G1RC6E48BU103085

CARLISLE CHEVROLET CADILLAC =1 VIN: 1G1RD6E41BU101918

JAMES WOOD CHEVROLET-OLDSMOBILE =2 VIN: 1G1RD6E43BU103623 and VIN: 1G1RD6E4XBU103747

HOLIDAY CHEVROLET =2 VIN: 1G1RD6E4XBU103201 and VIN: 1G1RD6E45BU102179

Those, according to the website, chevrolet.com
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Who cares
Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Who cares
I'd wager... GM cares.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'd wager... GM cares.
That was a response from a person who is posting on a high performance based auto website so, what GM or any car company does with its eco friendly cars is not that big of a deal for us since most of us here are classified as more of the "performance enthusiasts" which is actually a minority, when it comes to the markets that most major car companies try to target.

You just created this thread to take another shot at GM since, you have this weird,juvenile,fanboy defensive insecure love with Ford.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I actually hope this car does well but I'm the minority...as always.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Zero emission vehicles are pretty much a government mandate aren't they? Government mandate, Government Motors supplied.

In reality a Volt would save me a lot in fuel for daily driving and such but the savings would be way too small of a percentage of the insane purchase cost. 40K could be put in quite a few combinations of vehicles that would do more, be more economical, and be more fun.

Last edited by Awake455; 07-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
That was a response from a person who is posting on a high performance based auto website so, what GM or any car company does with its eco friendly cars is not that big of a deal for us since most of us here are classified as more of the "performance enthusiasts" which is actually a minority, when it comes to the markets that most major car companies try to target.

You just created this thread to take another shot at GM since, you have this weird,juvenile,fanboy defensive insecure love with Ford.
Actually, my thoughts are far deeper than yours. I didn't post this to take a shot at GM in the least, but you're a GM ***** hugger and still can hardly tell up from down in the scheme of things.

Since you're actually the juvenile here, I'll explain my deeper thoughts. Please try to not screw up with your simpleton ideas in the future. The POINT was, the Volt is being outsold by YET ANOTHER car nobody in their right mind will purchase and THAT surprised me. The part you actually think was a shot against GM is simply that I make no bones about not liking electric cars. Had Dodge, Ford Mercedes Benz, BMW or any other manufacturer been the one offering Volt, I still wouldn't like the electric market because I realize the real problem with that market.

GM cares AND someone who works for them surely sees this website, so GM may get the picture one day.

Here's the rub of it all, which you also don't seem to understand yet. The more they waste of the "Hybrid" or electric market, the harder it will become for those of us who prefer performance gasoline burning cars to actually get them. It won't be a huge problem in my lifetime, but in yours it well could be.

In a nutshell, WE, as a whole, need companies like GM to know that the masses simply do not want their battery powered vehicles and if people here and other places take note, the case can become stronger for auto makers to back away or slow just a bit, from their silliness(prompted by gov't). Only a fool truly thinks these programs are beneficial to anyone except "the powers that be(that includes GM if you're wondering). The buyer is a sucker in almost every case, unless they make their own electricity. Our electricity costs will rise across the nation if cars like these really take hold, but you... you know better what I'm thinking that I know... You're too smart for my input ... you got me!

You partly answered the reality here, but being what you are, MISSED the question... We're in the minority, being performance buffs... That's part of the problem and we need to make sure that even "the minority" speaks out about crapola he doesn't like, trying to flood a market he already sees dwindling overall. We should care, because we're the ones going to be stuck in cars we don't like, if we sit back and accept their changes.

GROW UP!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Awake455
Zero emission vehicles are pretty much a government mandate aren't they? Government mandate, Government Motors supplied.

In reality a Volt would save me a lot in fuel for daily driving and such but the savings would be way too small of a percentage of the insane purchase cost. 40K could be put in quite a few combinations of vehicles that would do more, be more economical, and be more fun.
You pretty much nailed it! GM and other companies are building these cars because gov't. has told them to do it or deal with further restrictions elsewhere. Problem is, these companies won't stand up to that gov't., but that's another matter for our purposes. We simply need those companies to know we're not really interested.

Volt would save gasoline for nearly anyone. Of course, it won't save the consumer overall, as you pointed out... The car is quite expensive and in order to cover even the initial hit, one would need to keep it for about 10yrs as their only driver. All said, this car isn't saving a thing beyond gasoline. The owner still has to pay to play though, just in additional ways over normal.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

I'm all for electric cars but the tech has to go a long way yet. Just like the gas engine. Till then I'll stick with my good ole American v8
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know when they have a 100% electric truck that can tow a 10,000 pound trailer and go more than 100 yards without needing a recharge.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I wish people would understand the importance of buying from American companies, especially in these times.

Quick Reply: What the???? LEAF OUTSELLING VOLT?