Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford F150 SVT Raptor Owners Suffering Bent Frames

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange, they must have been driving the **** outta those trucks...

Originally Posted by Cool28
Damn Chinese steel
As a Ford UAW employee this type of thing pisses me off. Built all over the world; "Assembled" in America... Just ain't right IMO. We should get all our parts from the USA... This ******' country and the way some people think.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
Strange, they must have been driving the **** outta those trucks...

As a Ford UAW employee this type of thing pisses me off. Built all over the world; "Assembled" in America... Just ain't right IMO. We should get all our parts from the USA... This ******' country and the way some people think.
cheaper is better dont you know that? sad that corp. dont understand you get what you pay for.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

China produces and consumes more Steel then the rest of the world.
In total, they produce nearly 50 percent of the steel on the market.
I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
really?

http://www.kiplinger.com/businessres...el_070907.html
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
New York, Chicago... No, China doesn't do steel better than us.

EDIT: I guess you didn't say that, but... I'll take American Steel over Chinese any day.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
These individuals with bent frames were at higher speeds than 75-80 mph, more like 100+ from what I've read, and these trucks were modified with softer springs which doesn't help their cause.
Really? I would say that is what caused this, I thought they were bottoming out the stock suspension. People that do the off-road stuff as much as they do should know that bouncing off the bump stops is going to cause **** to happen; I've broken quad frames before because of that. I'm sure the frame wasn't made to take those kind of direct hits.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
Well that's fucked up.
You'd think they'd straiten that out if they want to keep their complete domination of that market.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
Really? I would say that is what caused this, I thought they were bottoming out the stock suspension. People that do the off-road stuff as much as they do should know that bouncing off the bump stops is going to cause **** to happen; I've broken quad frames before because of that. I'm sure the frame wasn't made to take those kind of direct hits.
Yep, that's what I've read. The springs are said to be made by Deaver which are softer than the factory springs. It also appears that "Outlaw Offroad" pre-tested the course and damaged their truck on it as well, and 2 out of the 10 broken trucks belonged to them. Then again, this is just basically a summary of what I've been reading so far about this on the Ford forums.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 7998
So the Raptor is just a pretty show truck for posing. IDK I think Ford is dropping the ball lately. That would be like Z06's becoming airborne at 120mph and GM blaming the drivers for over driving it.

BTW didn't Toby Keith tell us how tough the frame is? Toby Keith lied.
So, If I buy a new Camaro, put slicks on it, spend the weekend at the track, end up with a burnt out clutch and a leaking rear end it is GM's fault.
right
Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by proporio
So, If I buy a new Camaro, put slicks on it, spend the weekend at the track, end up with a burnt out clutch and a leaking rear end it is GM's fault.
right
they dont advertise it as a track monster now do they?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Were the owners abusing their trucks and pushing them past the limit??

YES

Were they just asking for something to break??

YES

Did Ford promote this truck to be a factory BAJA truck, and that it would take this type of punishment?

YES

Don't you think some other sort of component should've failed before the frame bent??

YES

Is the frame a weak link on this truck??

YES

IMO it looks like Ford built everything about the Raptor to be heavy duty and take a beating. Except for one component, the frame. Bet you $10 that its the same damn frame as a 1/2 ton F150 with different suspension mounting points. Also bet you that all the Raptor mules were using that boat anchor 5.4 DOCH mill with 320hp. The new 6.2 liter V8 has 411 hp, so you can be running A LOT higher speeds like these morons were doing and bend the frame.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

IDK, they say the owners blame a poor location of the bump stop. Softer suspension that makes them bottom out more would equal the bent frame being their own fault. If this was done with the stock suspension I would blame Ford too, but this seems to be the owners fault. I do agree that the frame seems to be overly weak, but it's hard to pin it all on Ford when they were running softer suspension on the trucks.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

I believe half of the trucks were on aftermarket suspension. I think there was around 10 trucks in total on that "Raptor Run" that bent their frames.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is interesting, Ford tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFNv4...feature=relmfu
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heyfred
I've seen all parts of that before, I don't know how serious I can take it. It's just another form of advertising for Chevy, that's it. It doesn't show any details on how the trucks were equipped or anything like that whatsoever, doesn't really prove too much at all. But then again, it's no different than what Ford has put out in the past showing why their trucks were the best, or really any other manufacturers trying to promote their product for that matter.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen all parts of that before, I don't know how serious I can take it. It's just another form of advertising for Chevy, that's it. It doesn't show any details on how the trucks were equipped or anything like that whatsoever, doesn't really prove too much at all. But then again, it's no different than what Ford has put out in the past showing why their trucks were the best, or really any other manufacturers trying to promote their product for that matter.

How would I go about ordering a "different" frame than for a Ford . Frame twist is a direct result of cross/lateral bracing and frame member sizing. Stock pre 95 S10s acted like that, a few strategically placed cross braces and it's gone. Ford just did a lackluster job on their frame in that instance and from experience, Yotas are far worse.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

There was a big discussion about that commercial on another forum and the conclusion was it was staged to make the GM shine.

But your right, all manufacturers do it...case in point, look at the crazy Ecoboost truck tests that Ford is doing now; honestly I don't believe half the **** that they say they did to that ecoboost engine in the commercials.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BanditTA
How would I go about ordering a "different" frame than for a Ford . Frame twist is a direct result of cross/lateral bracing and frame member sizing. Stock pre 95 S10s acted like that, a few strategically placed cross braces and it's gone. Ford just did a lackluster job on their frame in that instance and from experience, Yotas are far worse.
That is not my argument, you obviously don't understand the concept of not just that specific video that I quoted, but the other parts that go along with it either. The video proves nothing about Ford's frames or anything about any other truck besides the Chevy for that matter. Basically every single test they put the trucks through, the Chevy wins all of them automatically by a longshot. Hell, the host of that segment is hanging out with a representative from Chevy the entire time, it's obviously meant for an advertisement. Anyone with half a brain should be able to tell that. I'm not disputing that Ford trucks frames are weak, because I really do not know how true that is.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Heater

But your right, all manufacturers do it...case in point, look at the crazy Ecoboost truck tests that Ford is doing now; honestly I don't believe half the **** that they say they did to that ecoboost engine in the commercials.
Have there been any new tests on that truck? I remember the first test with the prototype it did much better than the 5.3 Chevy and the 5.7 Ram, and everyone I know that's drove one said it had a lot of power.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gocartone
Have there been any new tests on that truck? I remember the first test with the prototype it did much better than the 5.3 Chevy and the 5.7 Ram, and everyone I know that's drove one said it had a lot of power.
I haven't seen any unbiased tests on the truck yet; but on Yellowbullet there is a Ecoboost thread where a lot of guys have driven/bought a Ecoboost and they think they are all that. Couple of them have unhooked them from their car trailers while at the track and made passes with them. Seems they run low 14's.

Quick Reply: Ford F150 SVT Raptor Owners Suffering Bent Frames