Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Diesel Chevrolet Cruze coming to U.S. in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
One question:

How easy is it to hot start a diesel and how long do you have before you would have to use the glow plugs again?

Would stopping and starting be an issue with a hybrid diesel?

Was just wondering.
I hot and cold start all day every day. No need for glow plugs with modern diesels really, unless its in the -10 and below region.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon5212
I hot and cold start all day every day. No need for glow plugs with modern diesels really, unless its in the -10 and below region.
i'm with ya, i deliver pizza's with my '02. lots and LOTS of starting and stopping.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Id be excited to see a diesel variant of this car. I have an eco and i regularly see 40-42mpg city... and 50+ highway.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens

Haha I know, I know laugh it up.... but as I previously state, as a kid (I'm still a youngin') I was subjected to the opinions of the ignorant. But this forum and others have increased my knowledge vastly.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some more information on it.

Those of us in the U.S. will have to wait until sometime in 2013 to see the diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze, but GM insiders seem more than willing to dish out some details on the oil-burning Cruze well in advance of its debut.

Ward's Auto reports that "sources" have confirmed the oil-burning Cruze will achieve a highway fuel economy rating "in the range of 50 miles per gallon." Additionally, unlike the manual transmission-equipped, 42-mpg rated Chevy Cruze Eco (an automatic Eco is available, but its mpg rating is well below that of the manual), the diesel Cruze, according to Charlie Klein, GM's director of global mass, energy and aerodynamics, will be a fuel-sipping sedan regardless of which trans is bolted to the engine.

As for that engine, GM has unofficially confirmed that it will indeed be based on the 2.0-liter diesel that's found under the hood of the Holden Cruze CDX. In the Holden, the 2.0-liter mill pumps out 160 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. One last bit of info: we hear that the diesel Cruze's torque will allow it to easily outrun the Cruze Eco.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/c...powered-cruze/
Old 08-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Hell yes! ~12 more hp and double the torque! I'll take one in auto please...you're gonna need both hands to tame that torque steer.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BanditTA
I run straight cooking oil in my Deere Backhoe, change the fuel filter every few months and run the oil through a paint filter while pouring it in. It stinks like a giant french fry but works perfect, i've noticed no difference in power. Fuel filters for it are like 6 bucks from Deere so i could care less about diesel at this point. I usually blend it but have run it straight in the past.
I wouldn't run it straight, but that would be cheaper as long as nothing gets screwed up because of it, which probably isn't a problem on a tractor(yet).

I'd consider a diesel DD but if I was buying a pickup hands down gas, I personally dislike diesels, gutless wonders that won't rev (Detroit excluded), right when they start making power it's time to shift. I've also driven a few Jetta TDIs, I'd never DD one, what gutless cars, maybe the new ones are different......
My gas engined SUV is smaller and lighter than my old 1 ton diesel, but the mileage is the same or worse.

Gas vehicles tend to accelerate better, but that's to be expected. Plus, today, diesels are much stronger than they were just 3yrs ago. The average pickup truck has an additional 150 lb-ft torque along with at least 50hp more than just 2-3yrs ago. Though it feels like they're just making power when it's time to shift, most diesels are running at their peak torque well before the shift point. They simply maintain their power to the top of their rpm.

Detroit has little on anything else available, except perhaps the newer model DD15 or the like. Even so, Cummins also offers are great engine. It's more in the tuning than the design.

Originally Posted by Jon5212
You've been driving the wrong diesel trucks then. My diesel pickup will flat out walk all over a stock gas pickup truck... except for possibly a lightning or silverado SS. I don't have much done to it. And I'll get better fuel mileage to boot.
Not when stock though, unless you're only considering 3/4 and 1ton models... As good as they've gotten, the average gas engine still outruns the average diesel pickup. The Nissan Titan will outrun the Silverado SS from what I've seen, and keep up with the Lightning over the 1/4 mile. A new Tundra 5.7L is no slouch either and the Hemi Ram hauls. The new Ford stuff does well too, but none of these will pull a load like even an older turbo diesel pickup. Typically, the current diesel is still quite heavy and geared lower than most others. They cover the 1/4 in about 17 seconds. Their are several gas powered pickups in the 15's or quicker these days.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '03 Z71 silverado (5.3) gets 19mpgs on average for highway. My g/f's dad has a '11 Sierra duramax and with a tool loaded box and small trailer it gets 23mpg. That's better than mine with no load.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cole Train
My g/f's dad has a '11 Sierra duramax and with a tool loaded box and small trailer it gets 23mpg. That's better than mine with no load.
The joy of diesel power... Almost identical mileage loaded as when empty. Adding a trailer will drop it some, but not as much as a gas engine.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I wouldn't run it straight, but that would be cheaper as long as nothing gets screwed up because of it, which probably isn't a problem on a tractor(yet).

My gas engined SUV is smaller and lighter than my old 1 ton diesel, but the mileage is the same or worse.

Gas vehicles tend to accelerate better, but that's to be expected. Plus, today, diesels are much stronger than they were just 3yrs ago. The average pickup truck has an additional 150 lb-ft torque along with at least 50hp more than just 2-3yrs ago. Though it feels like they're just making power when it's time to shift, most diesels are running at their peak torque well before the shift point. They simply maintain their power to the top of their rpm.

Detroit has little on anything else available, except perhaps the newer model DD15 or the like. Even so, Cummins also offers are great engine. It's more in the tuning than the design.

Not when stock though, unless you're only considering 3/4 and 1ton models... As good as they've gotten, the average gas engine still outruns the average diesel pickup. The Nissan Titan will outrun the Silverado SS from what I've seen, and keep up with the Lightning over the 1/4 mile. A new Tundra 5.7L is no slouch either and the Hemi Ram hauls. The new Ford stuff does well too, but none of these will pull a load like even an older turbo diesel pickup. Typically, the current diesel is still quite heavy and geared lower than most others. They cover the 1/4 in about 17 seconds. Their are several gas powered pickups in the 15's or quicker these days.

A tune and lift pump in an automatic Crew cab shortbed duramax will put it in the 13's or very very low 14's. Tune about 550 bucks and lift pump another 550-600 bucks.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BanditTA
I'd consider a diesel DD but if I was buying a pickup hands down gas, I personally dislike diesels, gutless wonders that won't rev (Detroit excluded), right when they start making power it's time to shift. I've also driven a few Jetta TDIs, I'd never DD one, what gutless cars, maybe the new ones are different......
it's all in the tuning. there are Duramax's turning over 6k rpm, EFI Live just came out with a 5100rpm tune for the 6.7 Cummins. yes, the stock tuning is not meant for power

here's a CR Cummins turning 5300rpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351i-...eature=related

5200rpm 6.4 Powerstroke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JXb...eature=related

5k +rpm Duramax puller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRC7i...eature=related
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

I have a '09 Jetta TDI. I love the thing. I would have bought a Chevy if they had a diesel to offer. I regularly get 30mpg stop and go traffic and can easily get 44mpg mixed driving, mostly highway. The only drawback is there aren't as many diesel stations around here as gasoline, but there's still enough and there's at least one pretty close to work.

Quick Reply: Diesel Chevrolet Cruze coming to U.S. in 2013