Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New Ford ad bashes the bailouts

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that had GM and Chrysler been left to fail, they would not have simply disappeared off the face of the planet. An entity with enough money would have purchased all or part of what was GM and reorganized it, and would have likely continued with the same name. It's the American way and the way it should have been allowed to happen.

A perfect example of this is Indian Motorcycles.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by firebird99
Our country has fallen due to people who dont buy AMERICAN so stew on that while you drive your GERMAN car and how much you just helped improve your country sir.
Originally Posted by david068513
I will continue to buy American, hell my father has two 2012 cars and is getting a new camaro next lol. He has a Malibu ltz and crew cab silverado as his work truck. Got to support them or they fall apart like they have been.
x 1000!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've had a 2010 SS during the GM bailout and now I have the stang. I couldn't care less about the politics of a particular company and it's shitty for one company to call another out on stuff like that.

It's also shitty to let that sway your personal purchases. Buy the product you like. Here's a hint, every large company has some unfortunate skeletons in their closet.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long as they pay the money back, who cares.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Latch
Man it's weird what people in this country get worked up about. So an American company that employees a lot of people was loaned money to stay afloat. Who gives a ****. Corporate welfare is nothing new. If they weren't bailed out, all the workers that would be laid off would then have to rely on welfare. Either way it's an expense to the taxpayer.

I'm more concerned about taxpayer money that's getting wasted trying to prop up the corrupt governments in Iraq and Afghanistan. The **** are we still doing over there...
WTF do I care if mexicans and canadians are laid off. They took all the factories out of america with free trade. I own a 2006 trailblazer, a 2005 Z71 and a 2000 Firehawk TA. My next truck will be a Toyota. At least I know some people that work there. All of the people that I knew that worked for G.M. got laid off. Then they and I had to help bail G.M.s asses out. BTW most of the FORMER G.M. employees are on welfare cause they have no freakin JOB. Do you own a new G.M. vehicle? Where is it made? I agree with your second paragraph though.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by rperk
[B]All of the people that I knew that worked for G.M. got laid off. BTW most of the FORMER G.M. employees are on welfare cause they have no freakin JOB.
Well, yeah, of course...because many years ago a lot of otherwise fine, loyal American consumers said (and did) something like this:
My next truck will be a Toyota.
Back in the extremely prosperous post war '50s and '60s nearly EVERYONE drove domestic nameplate vehicles and wouldn't even fathom the idea of buying a Toyota and guess what?
EVERYBODY (that chose to work) also had a decent paying job too, 'welfare' and 'unemployment benefits' were very seldom used terms.
Coincidence?

Do you own a new G.M. vehicle? Where is it made?
Bowling Green Kentucky, United States of America.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

WTF do I care if mexicans and canadians are laid off. They took all the factories out of america with free trade. I own a 2006 trailblazer, a 2005 Z71 and a 2000 Firehawk TA. My next truck will be a Toyota. At least I know some people that work there. All of the people that I knew that worked for G.M. got laid off. Then they and I had to help bail G.M.s asses out. BTW most of the FORMER G.M. employees are on welfare cause they have no freakin JOB. Do you own a new G.M. vehicle? Where is it made? I agree with your second paragraph though.
I agree with you it's a shame how much GM has outsourced... but there's still a lot of Americans who would be standing in line for unemployment if it weren't for the bailout.

What's really bullshit was the bank bailout... what a scam that was.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Ford has no right to bash anyone. Here we have a country with a huge unemployment crisis. 55.3% of all 19-29y/o are unemployed and they just finished up two new plants in India. They're greed is overwhelming. They paid out over $100million in bonuses to only two men. On top of the huge bonuses they paid to their salaried personel. Still they support a two-tier pay system for their workers that saves them less than $5mil a year and they try to say they can't afford to pay the workers fair.

If Ford had any decency or respect for America they'd start closing down plants over boarders and bringing them home. Instead they profit billions and spend it in other countries. To get cheap labor for low quality parts.

You wouldn't believe how much **** we get for the Escapes that comes from other countries that has no quality... Made all over the world assembled in America... Sometimes.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

It's almost comical that some of you think buying an American started name brand vehicle actually supports Americans. An alarming amount of vehicles are made outside our borders. If a business can't stand on its own it needs to fail to grow back stronger. Just like a forest fire, burns everything down then new life comes back stronger than ever. If my business failed I wouldn't be able to get help from the govenment, neither should GM or Chrysler.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
If my business failed I wouldn't be able to get help from the govenment, neither should GM or Chrysler.
That's not apples to apples, if your business went under you would have lost a hand full of people. If GM, Chrysler and possibly Ford had gone under we were talking millions and millions of people. Not just people directly associated with the Auto industry, people in the small cafes, diners and restaurants. Small business that make tooling (you'd be surprised at the number of small machine shops that make tooling). Towns and Villages who depend on it. This would have taken many of the other larger guys down with it. A lot of imports would have been hurting as well when companies like Dana would be slammed. You would be talking millions on unemployment. It's really a totally different situation. I didn't want to see it....but we didn't have a choice. Letting them fail was not an option.

The reason they were in the boat they were is mostly the result of the American consumer. When you can't complete with unfair regulations (importing) you have to cut corners - 80% of the time Americans will always buy the cheaper product. When you cut corners your product tends to suffer. I will also say that when Americans coined the imports are better than the domestics phrase early on, that it was a result of Americans being lazy. The imports found it cheaper to make assemblies and sealed units rather than make things rebuildable or greaseable like their American counterpart. Things fail when they are neglected, as we all know, Americans are lazy and could give to *****.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

I agree with most of what you said but you obviously are forgetting how economics works. When there is demand for a given product it will be bought from somewhere. If GM went under Ford probably would've picked up a lot of customers who were wanting to buy domestic. The whole regulation thing is an entirely different subject. Now all we've got to show for the bailout is GM moving a good chunk of its manufacturing over seas and no idea when the money will be paid back. I'm a firm believer in capitalism, adapt to your changing market or perish. Period.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
adapt to your changing market or perish. Period.
IBM is an excellent example
Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
long as they pay the money back, who cares.
you think the taxpayers are getting their money back... cute.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Latch

What's really bullshit was the bank bailout... what a scam that was.
Yes, and that was from all the banks pushing variable rate loans. Alot of them were getting bonuses if they closed the deal on a variable loan. Alot of people were tricked into it also. Me and my wife went to get our house loan and I had specifically told the loan officer, numerous times, that we wanted a fixed rate. The loan officer called and said for us to come sign the papers and it was a done deal. Well we get there and had already signed some papers and then the loan type paper comes up and says variable. She said it would take a few more days to straighten out. I told her not to worry about it I was taking my business elsewhere. Alot of people could not afford their house payments because their payments went up 400 bucks a month. Then alot of people got laid off, yes even people that worked for GM, after these corps. sold their soul to china, mexico, canada,etc.
You know I want to vote for someone who will do away with the free trade agreement, or at least raise tariffs so high that these corps. will move their factories back to America. But there is no one who has said anything about it. These dumbasses still have'nt figured it out. If you don't have any jobs and more people are taking out of the system, than the people putting in, you fail period. Let's tell them to WTFU! wake the **** up!

Last edited by rperk; 10-07-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thumbs down this bitch
Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Well, yeah, of course...because many years ago a lot of otherwise fine, loyal American consumers said (and did) something like this:

Back in the extremely prosperous post war '50s and '60s nearly EVERYONE drove domestic nameplate vehicles and wouldn't even fathom the idea of buying a Toyota and guess what?
EVERYBODY (that chose to work) also had a decent paying job too, 'welfare' and 'unemployment benefits' were very seldom used terms.
Coincidence?

Anytime somebody buys something solely based on where it is built, they succeed only in helping make sure that business will eventually have problems. If a company that makes an inferior product has its sales bolstered by people who are going to buy it no matter what, that company loses touch with what the rest of the consumers want, and it leads us down a road that leads to where we are right now. If GM had done this restructuring twenty years ago, they would be in much better shape. But people were buying shitty cars like the Berreta and Sunbird (among others), so I'm sure GM thought they were doing great. And then people finally get tired of sub-mediocre products, and the mass exodus begins. Which is what happened when GM lost all that market share ten to fifteen years ago.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

You got you some American muscle huh? You need to look a little farther, like where all of the parts were made. Hell, I bet 70% of that corvette is made across one border or the other. Hint, Delphi is in Mexico now. But you know one thing though, the labor price may be a quarter of what it was in America, but you did'nt get a three quarters discount when you bought that car. Did you? But G.M. corporate, the same company that we bailed out, is making mega profits. Did you see the price on anything go down, when it did'nt cost these U.S. manufacturers' half or less to what it used to, to build something? WAKE UP! This is exactly what I'm talking about!

Last edited by rperk; 10-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

You got you some American muscle huh? You need to look a little farther, like where all of the parts were made. Hell, I bet 70% of that corvette is made across one border or the other. Hint, Delphi is in Mexico now. But you know one thing though, the labor price may be a quarter of what it was in America, but you did'nt get a three quarters discount when you bought that car. Did you? But G.M. corporate, the same company that we bailed out, is making mega profits. Did you see the price on anything go down, when it did'nt cost these U.S. manufacturers' half or less to what it used to, to build something? WAKE UP! This is exactly what I'm talking about!

Truth
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

note: I didn't watch the video

Any ad that bashes annoys the crap out of me. Tell me why I should get YOUR product (or in the case of politics, why I should vote for you), do not just tell me why the other company or other guy sucks. That is crap marketing, IMO.

I don't mind a comparison, i.e. "Ours does this, while the competition's comparable model only does this" (such as GM's ad comparing MPG of the Malibu to the Camry). That's fine. Just don't base your entire ad on why the other guy sucks.

My little rant and two cents.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
Ford has no right to bash anyone. Here we have a country with a huge unemployment crisis. 55.3% of all 19-29y/o are unemployed and they just finished up two new plants in India. They're greed is overwhelming. They paid out over $100million in bonuses to only two men. On top of the huge bonuses they paid to their salaried personel. Still they support a two-tier pay system for their workers that saves them less than $5mil a year and they try to say they can't afford to pay the workers fair.

If Ford had any decency or respect for America they'd start closing down plants over boarders and bringing them home. Instead they profit billions and spend it in other countries. To get cheap labor for low quality parts.

You wouldn't believe how much **** we get for the Escapes that comes from other countries that has no quality... Made all over the world assembled in America... Sometimes.
Oh really? Its the United states of America. The day Ford can't bash anyone or I can't buy my favorite car from Nissan is the day America stops being America. It goes the same for building plants all over the world how do you expect a car company to stay big if they only stay stateside?
Too many people here are buying too heavily into the "buy American" and don't see the big picture. When you have domestic union workers that costs 10 times more to employ that labor workers in other countries many of these companies are willing to make that compromise.

So I will be happy buying whatever next car that comes that interests me. Doesn't matter if its America, German, Japanese or whatever.

Quick Reply: New Ford ad bashes the bailouts