Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

American Chopper, American Hotrod make the shops look bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone realized that these shows are meant to ENTERTAIN? if they just did the technical side of fabrication, then it wouldnt get good ratings or be popular.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am gonna throw my vote in against Boyd.... that TV episode was down right embarrassing.

Perception is everything. When you hand a guy $250,000 for a custom ride, you have an impression of an extreme level of professionalism, creativity, and intelligence.

After watching Boyd's shop in process, I was completely turned off. Does the final product look good? Yes, yes it does. And I have to recognize the ONE reason for that... the painter. He was the only one that I could see who had a good level head. Truly talented person. The rest of them struck me as cheap labor, "assemblers". And don't even get me started on Boyd's ex-wife accountant! How weird is that? And how down right unprofessional can she be? Talk about CHEAP!!! And you know darn well that she acts that way because she was told to... by the man himself.

All I can say is my perception of Boyd has dropped completely to the bottom. I agree, that show did not help Boyd one bit.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

It's gotta be scripted, I've never EVER heard of a shop stopping a full day of business just so they could go ride go carts....maybe on a sunday....but not on a damn business day
Old 03-08-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1genCamaro
It's gotta be scripted, I've never EVER heard of a shop stopping a full day of business just so they could go ride go carts....maybe on a sunday....but not on a damn business day
remember the bosses play, but the workers have to work.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Launching!

most of the people that are into these shows dont even care or know to much about the bikes or rides. its all about the drama. just like nascar. i personally know of several people who are all about nascar but dont give a damn about the cars or the races for that matter. its just the personality,and drama of there drivers they tune in for. its so ! better yet its just the "thing" for the "typical" person to be into now. i bet if you take away ALL the drama and bullshit and made it even 75% about the bikes, cars, building process etc. there would be no ratings. you cant blame the shops there making more money from the networks and sponsers then most people will ever see. its just like all the TV shows and magizines that put women on the covers and shows to attract that extra crowd. all they end up doing is getting in the way of,or take up time that they could show more tight cars. its like i could buy a playboy or something if thats what i wanted to see. i love seeing and chillin with the females at the shows in the summer but i think they should keep em off the mags and tv shows.
i thought that show rides was pretty cool ,but it didnt last long. guess there were no women in bathing suits or enough drama.
i know i might sound strongly about this but cars,trucks,racing are my LIFE it always has been. i mean i dont even keep up with team sports. just cars,cars,AND MORE CARS. so it just really irratates me.

Last edited by willis 00; 03-08-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea i agree with the post above me here. take away those stupid hot chicks and the entertainment part of the media and just make us read the tech side of things. oh wait, that sounds like schooling. :boring:

also my young brother, the word is spelled D-A-I-L-Y in your sig.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all about the green backs. I'm sure OCC has made a TON of money off them being on American Chopper. They didn't pay for their own custom 18-wheeler by selling 20-30k bikes. BTW, I'm watching them right now as I type.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

I think OCC builds to many gimic bikes. Who wants a loud fire engine siren on there chopper?....oh, oh, I do, I do. I mean WTF! I remember watching a special about Jesse James a few years back and I think that this OCC is a copycat or was supposed to be. I mean who in the hell associates Orange county with New York. The best bikes I have seen come from the other Discovery show "great american build off". I don't really care how it was made just how it looks and functions as a bike in the end.

As for Boyd, well it looks like his local High School must be sending him talent a little bit before they graduate 9th grade shop class.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
I really dig Paul Yaffe's bikes
Paul built the Maroon one that went up againt Indian Larry's old school gold bike right. I can't believe Larry's bike won the build off. Paul Yaffe's bike was one of my favorite I've ever seen. I also like Billy Lane's hubless bike. It was a cool idea.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, that's the one.. Indian Larry's bike was downright fugly IMHO Definitely not my style.. I can dig the tribute to Ed Roth though, Ed made some pretty fugly **** back in the day too...
Old 03-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Teching In

I gotta throw in my .02 about the intern kid on American Hotrod. They totally screwed themselves with that deal. Assigning an intern that can barely speak English to a major project car was just plain stupid! I gotta agree that he shoulda been cleaning cars and learning a few things on the side....not welding on an aluminum frame right away...I mean come on. Ya gotta crawl before you can walk.

You can also tell that most of the drama is scripted for the camera...like the entire boxing match deal. All of Paul Sr's outbursts on American chopper are staged too.

Plus anyone ever notice that EVERY project bike that OCC builds is ALWAYS on a tight schedule and they ALWAYS finish the bikes at the last possible minute? There's no way a shop would get by like that...it's all added drama for entertainment.

That said, I still watch both shows
Old 03-09-2004, 08:19 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I did use something I learned from the American Chopper shows......I painted a mirror last weekend and hung it from my garage door opener (by a clothes hanger) similar to how the shop that powdercoats for them handles their parts.

I agree a lot of the situations look a little staged, but it is neat to see how things are constructed.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think OCC is interesting because the themes for each build are interesting, it's not a bad show even though some of the drama seems staged.

Now the Boyd show is lame. A lot of those guys come across as dumb on that show. And the ex-wife is obnoxious. I don't watch that show at all.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
I really dig Paul Yaffe's bikes
And I thought I was an *******. I realized I was not that bad when I saw Yaffe on TV. What a *****.

I thought Boyd would have a classy shop and be professional. The shop foreman and the paint guy seem to have their act together. Everyone else I wouldn't want touching my car. (except for that one guy that ended up welding the aluminum frame)

Not to sound mean but, what's up with the guy who's upper jaw doesn't move when he talks? was he in a accident or something? just curious.

I agree with the comments about OCC. It's entertaining... Mikey is funny as hell... I wouldn't buy one of their bikes. The theme bikes are all advertising. Probably a good deal for what the companies pay. They get an hour of exposure on one of the highest rated cable shows, plus a finished bike.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw that Boyd Cod. thing to and was like "WTF?" this is the famed Coddington? Talk aout overrated. I would never trust my car to them.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys dont realize that they have more than the crew you see on T.V, what you see is typical comercialized bull ****. Boyd has a bigger crew than like 7 people, they are working on more than one car at any given time. Thats like going MTI or Thunder and just following one tech around, your not going to get that great of an idea of what that shop does as a whole. Fact of the matter is Boyd and OCC have big crews turning out several cars and bikes for customers. Thats the stuff you dont see on T.V.
Trust me if they were incompetentnt and childish in real life as they are on these shows, the shops would have gotten no were. If you ever watch an episode, you sorta get a glimpse of what the other stff they are working on for customers.
Neil350
Old 03-09-2004, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

.... for those of us who don't know anything about Boyd, we all get to walk away with the impression that Boyd hires clueless, talentless clowns.

The point was that this show (staged or not) doesnt help his reputation, it actually hurts.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
I saw that Boyd Cod. thing to and was like "WTF?" this is the famed Coddington? Talk aout overrated. I would never trust my car to them.
My same exact reaction... minus the "f" part
Old 03-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Agree with the opinions about the swedish kid... Did you catch the part where the wierdo kid was like hand me a 3/4" and the kid was like "i dunno what that is" and the wierdo was like what are you stupid. There's no ******* U.S. sizes in sweden. I agree that they treated that kid like ****. If it were me the wierdo kid's nose would have been exploded after day one. I ******* hate condescending people...especially when you are a beginner
Old 03-09-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by minivette
Not to sound mean but, what's up with the guy who's upper jaw doesn't move when he talks? was he in a accident or something? just curious.
Nobody's top jaw moves when they talk. Your top jaw is fixed to your skull.
However, there is something wrong w/ that guy.

Quick Reply: American Chopper, American Hotrod make the shops look bad