Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds - Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG vs Cadillac CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaunt
C63 > V car

The Merc is just classier, and if you want real speed, you wouldn't be in a 4000+ lb car anyway.
If it was an E63, I might have to agree with you. But the C, no thanks. The V is the complete package. After test driving too many Sport Luxury cars, I ended with a V Wagon. The Mercedes brand just isn't what it used to be.

To give you an idea of how sweet the V is, I got rid of my 5800 mile '08 AO Z06 for it. I don't miss the Z one bit.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Question

The Merc is just classier
"Classier"?
Can a car actually have 'class'? I thought only people can have that LOL.
Lots of crack dealers/pimps/raping murderers drive Mercedes Benz's, would that still make them classy?
Or if a philanthropic Yale/Harvard doctorate Peace Corp/Red Cross volunteer drives a Cadillac does he/she still have less class than the average Mercedes driver?

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Too bad the V is uglier than sin.
While that is strictly subjective and entirely open to personal opinion, I still don't know if I'd go that far.
As a matter of fact, in talking with other fellow car enthusiasts about the CTS-V (old one or new one) I have yet to find even one who would agree with that.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
"Classier"?
Can a car actually have 'class'? I thought only people can have that LOL.
Lots of crack dealers/pimps/raping murderers drive Mercedes Benz's, would that still make them classy?
Or if a philanthropic Yale/Harvard doctorate Peace Corp/Red Cross volunteer drives a Cadillac does he/she still have less class than the average Mercedes driver?
Yes, I do believe a car can have the attribute of "class". Everybody makes a quick judgement call by glancing at a car. You see a clapped out LX stang sitting next to a new Mercedes, one clearly adheres to a higher standard. To be classy is to be stylish and sophisticated. Granted, just because you drive a more expensive car doesn't automatically mean YOU are classy.

I don't think this notion is that thought provoking... Maybe I'm the only one that thinks like this?

And that's not to say I look down on people driving a subjectively "less classier" car (after all, I drive a god damn F-body with a daily driver Sentra lol). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so on and so forth.

Last edited by Gaunt; 12-05-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

Yes, I do believe a car can have the attribute of "class". Everybody makes a quick judgement call by glancing at a car. You see a clapped out LX stang sitting next to a new Mercedes, one clearly adheres to a higher standard. To be classy is to be stylish and sophisticated. Granted, just because you drive a more expensive car doesn't automatically mean YOU are classy.
Point taken.

And that's exactly how I view Cadillac's current line up as well. I don't automatically give the nod of 'class' or 'upscale' to certain vehicles based solely on their nameplate or the public's general (and often wrong) perception of it.
"Oh it's a Mercedes/BMW so it must be classier." Not me man LOL.
Mercedes' old base 190 and BMW's 318ti come into play here as well.

Do keep in mind that Cadillac was among THE standard of the world back in the day, owning one 50-75 years ago held nearly as much weight as owning a Mercedes or possibly even a Rolls Royce.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Point taken.

And that's exactly how I view Cadillac's current line up as well. I don't automatically give the nod of 'class' or 'upscale' to certain vehicles based solely on their nameplate or the public's general (and often wrong) perception of it.
"Oh it's a Mercedes/BMW so it must be classier." Not me man LOL.

Do keep in mind that Cadillac was among THE standard of the world back in the day, owning one 50-75 years ago held nearly as much weight as owning a Mercedes or possibly even a Rolls Royce.
For sure, the people giving the nod to a car simply based on the badge/moniker are idiots in the nicest way I can say it.

Cadillac is STILL a standard and will always be one of the greats that cars compare themselves to (although I would argue that they really came into their own again only recently). Just in this particular case, I say the C63 is close enough to the V in terms of speed that the overall package that Mercedes offers is the one I would choose to drive. That's of course my opinion. An argument over a subjective view is usually a moot one. I would be happy with either a V or C63 amg in my garage, but if I have the choice, it's going to be the Benz.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would choose a C63 over a V. The decision would be tough, but having driven both platforms, the Mercedes is built to be completely comfortable and easy to drive. It's a weird feeling driving a car like that, but I could definitely get used to it.

Cadillac is getting there as far as comfort and drive ability goes. But they still aren't quite at the level of Mercedes.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

I would like to point out that the C class is in a different class than the CTS-V, hence the weight difference.
The CTS-V is midsized, while the C class is more compact.

This is kind of funny about the C class coupe though...

Separated at birth:
Honda Accord Coupe

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I would like to point out that the C class is in a different class than the CTS-V, hence the weight difference.
The CTS-V is midsized, while the C class is more compact.
Excellent point, I would think that the heavier and more costly E class (E63) would be the more logical comparison to the CTS-V.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
This is kind of funny about the C class coupe though...

Separated at birth:
Honda Accord Coupe

OMG!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While that is strictly subjective and entirely open to personal opinion, I still don't know if I'd go that far.
As a matter of fact, in talking with other fellow car enthusiasts about the CTS-V (old one or new one) I have yet to find even one who would agree with that.
No doubt, it is strictly my opinion of the styling. I've not cared for Cadillac's styling formula for the better part of the last decade. Too many gaunt angles and broad, flat, uninterrupted surfaces. While I do agree the V coupe has that aggressive, beastly stance to it...it simply isn't something I would consider slick or sexy. Kind of the same feelings I have when I look at the Mad Max Interceptor.

Quick Reply: Edmunds - Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG vs Cadillac CTS-V