Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

next gen camaro to debut 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hope they focus on weight reduction it will make everything about the Camaro better. The goal should be 200+ pound reduction, that would make a world of difference and most drivers would be able to "feel" the difference in handling and acceleration.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The current Mustang has been around since 2010, it's already getting a refresh, Shelby front end =

And the taillights look good as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot all about that ^^
Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The new mustang update looks killer. Especially the tail light update, the current *** end on Mustangs is as bad or worse than the Camaros and that is saying a lot.

I also agree the Camaro needs at least a minor update. Also needs a little more to seperate the SS from the v6 IMO.

*** end needs major work.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 7998
True 88blackgt, the only news I got is the new Gen will be in 2015. They need to do some sort of refresh, especially to the tail lights and dash. Thats my opinion.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
The new mustang update looks killer. Especially the tail light update, the current *** end on Mustangs is as bad or worse than the Camaros and that is saying a lot.

I also agree the Camaro needs at least a minor update. Also needs a little more to seperate the SS from the v6 IMO.

Im not sure why so many people complain about the dash and dont follow the news...The minor update was done for the 2012 model, and the total facelift will be in 2015...the dash and interior where revamped for the 2012 model, so by the time production ends for this model, that will be the "early years 2010-2011 interior..."

2012 interior example, new dash design, new steering wheel, added interior lighting ect:

Idk how people can stand the 2010 mustang update, it looks absolutely terrible IMO. Tailights=
Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure why you quoted me I didn't comment on the interior at all. I've seen or read of no planned changes to the Camaro exterior.

The 2010 Mustang update was still nicer than the 05-09, but I was referring to the upcoming Mustang update which changes the front end a little and greatly improves the tail light design.

The Camaro is in desperate need of exterior changes, especially to the rear. The huge block of boring with the smaller but still huge chunk of cheap *** looking plastic around the exhaust is crap and needs alteration. Maybe a nice black area between the tail lights to help break up the back some?

Needs SS badges on the fenders too, and more distinct rear SS badge. Having the SS the same color as the RS badge blows, especially since the emblem is so tiny.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they will get rid of the low roof high window sill look. I can't fit in the 5th gen. More headroom please....
Old 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Im not sure why so many people complain about the dash and dont follow the news...The minor update was done for the 2012 model, and the total facelift will be in 2015...the dash and interior where revamped for the 2012 model, so by the time production ends for this model, that will be the "early years 2010-2011 interior..."

2012 interior example, new dash design, new steering wheel, added interior lighting ect:

]

Idk how people can stand the 2010 mustang update, it looks absolutely terrible IMO. Tailights=
I haven't seen the 2012 in person nor was I aware they updated the interior. But judging from the picture I'm not impressed. I am not a fan of the dual bezel , imo it looks like a half hearted tribute to the 1st Gen, I also don't care for the center stack. I love how comfortable the interior is and the quality, it just doesn't impress me. I also really dislike the tail lights and the lack of visibility in the 5th Gen, but mainly the tail lights.
Now it's the opposite for me with the Mustang I like the layout, visibilty, tail lights (Sequential), but the dash and door panel material is 70's cheese and the biggest thing is reliability. I would've bought a new 5.0 last year but the wife hated it, so much so it wasn't even worth test driving to have the arguement.

I hope the 6th Gen is an evolution like the 2010 Mustang was but better, and lighter, and while I wishing a DI 6.2.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Itd be badass if everyone got away from retro period. Big, heavy *** cars, with a flashback 70s interior is not appealing.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tainted
Itd be badass if everyone got away from retro period. Big, heavy *** cars, with a flashback 70s interior is not appealing.
Yeah, I'm honestly getting tired of it myself.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure why you quoted me I didn't comment on the interior at all. I've seen or read of no planned changes to the Camaro exterior.

The 2010 Mustang update was still nicer than the 05-09, but I was referring to the upcoming Mustang update which changes the front end a little and greatly improves the tail light design.

The Camaro is in desperate need of exterior changes, especially to the rear. The huge block of boring with the smaller but still huge chunk of cheap *** looking plastic around the exhaust is crap and needs alteration. Maybe a nice black area between the tail lights to help break up the back some?

Needs SS badges on the fenders too, and more distinct rear SS badge. Having the SS the same color as the RS badge blows, especially since the emblem is so tiny.
I was more in reference to your quote about the mustang, not the Camaro.
The reason the SS and the RS badges are the same color is because the red lettering actually indicates it's an RS. If it's also an SS, they just make the SS badge red so they don't have to put SS/RS. Non-RS SS cars have white SS badges.

RS V6=Red RS emblem
SS V8=White SS emblem
RS/SS V8=Red SS Emblem

I do agree there needs to be more distinction between the V8 and V6 cars other than the mail slot in the front bumper and the badges.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 01-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

The car is definitely in dire need of some changes. It is outselling the mustang for the first time in 30 years. Sales are up 20% from this time last year.

GM needs to hurry up and get back to its roots so they can stop production again.

The car should lose a few hundred pounds. Other than that it is fine.

Anyone who thinks it needs an exterior change obviously doesnt own one. The amount of compliments I get is almost annoying. The general public didnt see the concept in 2006 and transformers just left them wanting more. Most people are still blown away by it. And before anyone says...no I didnt buy the car for this reason. When I bought my 98 everyone thought it looked like ****. I buy camaros because I am a fan and for the performance.

The car is in its 3rd model year. 2015 would be the normal time for a change or refresh. How could GM afford to retool every 3 years...seriously?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

RS V6=Red RS emblem
SS V8=White SS emblem
RS/SS V8=Red SS Emblem
Wasn't aware of that, don't recall having seen a white emblem car in person. The red emblems look awful IMO.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Wasn't aware of that, don't recall having seen a white emblem car in person. The red emblems look awful IMO.
Here's one I just stumbled upon. You usually see the SS with the RS package as well (halo headlights, slightly tinted tails, color matched roof ditch molding). The RS option was a cheap option in the 10-11 cars, so most SS's had it.

http://www.ridelust.com/2010-chevy-c...bay-for-73000/
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
It is outselling the mustang for the first time in 30 years. Sales are up 20% from this time last year.

The car should lose a few hundred pounds. Other than that it is fine.

Anyone who thinks it needs an exterior change obviously doesnt own one. The amount of compliments I get is almost annoying. The general public didnt see the concept in 2006 and transformers just left them wanting more. Most people are still blown away by it. And before anyone says...no I didnt buy the car for this reason. When I bought my 98 everyone thought it looked like ****. I buy camaros because I am a fan and for the performance.

The car is in its 3rd model year. 2015 would be the normal time for a change or refresh. How could GM afford to retool every 3 years...seriously?
Exactly.

I have a friend with a red V6 and another with a black SS, both cars still turn heads as if we were still in 2010 (when the car was still fresh/new).
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Anyone who thinks it needs an exterior change obviously doesnt own one.
Think about that statement for a second. Why would someone buy one if they feel that it needs an exterior change? Personally, I would've bought a 5th gen if it didn't look like it does.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Old full-size sedan chassis, poorly designed interior, and an already aging exterior.
The structure was entirely new when work on the Camaro commenced, in the automotive world it is hardly old as is the Camaro itself. 2016 sounds like the normal lifespan for a model. Especially when you consider the Mustang hasn't had a ground-up redesign since 2005.

Still, there is scant real information on what exactly is going to happen with the next Camaro. It's probably better they keep it that way. If you guys really get lower weight by extensive use of aluminum and other materials I hope you are prepared to pay Audi-like prices for it or keep your mouths shut when the price is high.

Be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

2012 interior example, new dash design, new steering wheel, added interior lighting ect
The only big change is the car now uses the GM corporate steering wheel design instead of it's own unique wheel. Everything is virtually the same as when the car bowed and will likely remain that way for some time.

Adding extra lighting and a parts bin wheel isn't a dramatic interior redux or refresh.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
The structure was entirely new when work on the Camaro commenced, in the automotive world it is hardly old as is the Camaro itself. 2016 sounds like the normal lifespan for a model. Especially when you consider the Mustang hasn't had a ground-up redesign since 2005.

Still, there is scant real information on what exactly is going to happen with the next Camaro. It's probably better they keep it that way. If you guys really get lower weight by extensive use of aluminum and other materials I hope you are prepared to pay Audi-like prices for it or keep your mouths shut when the price is high.

Be careful what you wish for.

nope, theyll still be cry babies complaining about how high HP cars using lightweight parts shouldnt increase cost.

sorry, but today people want drive ability and comfort in a performance car and GM has done a decent job with that.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
sorry, but today people want drive ability and comfort in a performance car and GM has done a decent job with that.
And this is the reason why you have a bunch of people out there who buy these 5th gens and they aren't even real car enthusiasts. Never really occurred with the 4th gens

Quick Reply: next gen camaro to debut 2015