Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

next gen camaro to debut 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
And this is the reason why you have a bunch of people out there who buy these 5th gens and they aren't even real car enthusiasts. Never really occurred with the 4th gens
and thats why 5th gens are successful and 4th gens werent.

like or not thats how it is.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
and thats why 5th gens are successful and 4th gens werent.

like or not thats how it is.
Exactly, and this is part of the reason why a lot of 4th gen owners don't usually care for 5th gens. Not even close to being the same type of car they used to be, as a result they generally appeal to a much different crowd of buyers.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Exactly, and this is part of the reason why a lot of 4th gen owners don't usually care for 5th gens. Not even close to being the same type of car they used to be, as a result they generally appeal to a much different crowd of buyers.
and it appeals to a broader range of buyers. sales is what matters and even in a weak economy its sales are strong.

5th gens are better overall cars and 170,000+ people and counting seem to agree.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
5th gens are better overall cars and 170,000+ people and counting seem to agree.
GM (and Ford) both came up with cars that are vastly more pleasant to drive, ride in, look at inside and out and live with. That's why the current crop of muscle cars are selling so well (in a down economy) and have put the hurt on Asian coupes.

GM learned from the 4th gen and Ford's 2005 Mustang redesign that you can't put together a junky point-and-shoot car and expect a large number of people to buy it anymore.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Still, there is scant real information on what exactly is going to happen with the next Camaro. It's probably better they keep it that way. If you guys really get lower weight by extensive use of aluminum and other materials I hope you are prepared to pay Audi-like prices for it or keep your mouths shut when the price is high.

Be careful what you wish for.
Tri couldn't be more spot on. That's the problem with the internets, everybody wants their cake and eat it to.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by TriShield
GM (and Ford) both came up with cars that are vastly more pleasant to drive, ride in, look at inside and out and live with. That's why the current crop of muscle cars are selling so well (in a down economy) and have put the hurt on Asian coupes.

GM learned from the 4th gen and Ford's 2005 Mustang redesign that you can't put together a junky point-and-shoot car and expect a large number of people to buy it anymore.
Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Tri couldn't be more spot on. That's the problem with the internets, everybody wants their cake and eat it to.

yes and yes.

people want a ton of power and a light vehicle but dont want to pay.

thats why GM didnt design it that way.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Revoroller
Would be badass if they did a 69 1/2-73 split bumper style for the next gen
Like this?

Ehh I think GM doing that would be retarded. I mean after the 6th gen you guys are going to start saying they should make 1974-81 style Camaros! They need to make THEIR OWN look now. They did the whole modern 1969 Camaro look which worked out because it was the rebirth of the Camaro. But that's where it ends. & don't get me wrong I LOVE the look of 5th gens. But the 6th gen shouldn't be its own design

Oh & in case you guys missed this
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

I'd rather see a different, lighter camaro for the next generation. I've never been a big fan of the current one.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And this is the reason why you have a bunch of people out there who buy these 5th gens and they aren't even real car enthusiasts. Never really occurred with the 4th gens
Really? Then why were so many 4th gens build with the automatic instead of the 6-speed. My WS6 was a impulse buy 10 years ago. Were I to do it again I would have found a 6 speed or waited a couple more years and bought a C5 stick. A overwhelming majority of Corvettes and F-bodies (and 5th gen Camaro's) are autos. Not what most would call enthusiastic.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Default your SS 70

thats a good concept for those of you praying for a retro vega...lol

keep the retro look, trim the fat! Give US THE Z/28 with a 6 speed only, magnetic ride control from the cadi/ZL1. I would also like to see manual crank windows, and some extra light possibly new carbon panels on the Z. I would like to see it cut more than 300 lbs more like 500.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I like the current. But I will be in the market for a 6th gen. Until then my 4th gen seems to be running better all the time and still looks almost new.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting, on my way home from work today there was a yellow with black stripes 5th gen in the left lane a couple car lengths behind me for a while. I kept eying it in my mirror, thinking how good it looked.

I've always liked the front. I've always been a little unsure of the back end, somewhat indifferent I suppose towards it. But the front and side shots I definitely do like.

I also like my 4th gen, so does this put me in a strange minority group that likes both 4th and 5th gens?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BULLITT65
thats a good concept for those of you praying for a retro vega...lol

keep the retro look, trim the fat! Give US THE Z/28 with a 6 speed only, magnetic ride control from the cadi/ZL1. I would also like to see manual crank windows, and some extra light possibly new carbon panels on the Z. I would like to see it cut more than 300 lbs more like 500.
Manual crank window? lol that would be a suicide. Nobody is gonna buy this, except plp who buy the Camaro for racing purpose only, which is really rare/non existent. You have the ZL1 that features a lot of great things with 580hp. Its fasters than a Boss, which is lighter.

I agree though that it nees to be way lighter for the next Gen cause it will help contribute to keep the Camaro alive; lighter means faster, more MPG and better critics overall; all the important points and arguments for the average customer.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Interesting, on my way home from work today there was a yellow with black stripes 5th gen in the left lane a couple car lengths behind me for a while. I kept eying it in my mirror, thinking how good it looked.

I've always liked the front. I've always been a little unsure of the back end, somewhat indifferent I suppose towards it. But the front and side shots I definitely do like.

I also like my 4th gen, so does this put me in a strange minority group that likes both 4th and 5th gens?
I like both and I'm torn between selling my 4th Gen to get a 5th Gen..and I'm dreaming about the ZL1 too!!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

With the 5th gen, I went from "yeah, the new Camaros are pretty nice" to "ya know, it's really growing on me" and now having driven a few of them and seeing them around far more often than a year ago, I'm actually like "these car are really good looking" which is odd because usually the less often I see a new model the more exciting it is to me.
I think they're great cars overall, a little too heavy yes, but still good looking, well made cars in my opinion.

Well you're not alone, I like both 4th and 5th gens a lot as well. Not sure if I'll ever sell my LS1 Z28 or if I'll ever own a 5th gen, but I do like them all.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Darksol
Really? Then why were so many 4th gens build with the automatic instead of the 6-speed. My WS6 was a impulse buy 10 years ago. Were I to do it again I would have found a 6 speed or waited a couple more years and bought a C5 stick. A overwhelming majority of Corvettes and F-bodies (and 5th gen Camaro's) are autos. Not what most would call enthusiastic.
That last sentance is just your opinion. I'm probably more enthusiastic about and content with my 4th gens than the majority of people on this site. I've owned 4 of them; 2 of which I bought brand new, 2 of which I still have and 1 of which will probably stay with me until I die. Some have been raced and modded, some have been daily drivers, and some have been show cars. Every single one was an auto, and I WANTED it that way. NONE were impluse buys. The only "luxury" option (if you want to call it that) that has ever interested me in a performance car is an auto; this is based on my location and the sort of driving/racing that interests me. To infer that people who like autos can't be or aren't enthusiasts is just plain silly. Let's skip the A4 vs M6 war, because we all know that it's a pointless debate and not welcome here, and that just as many manual owners are fickle and will bounce from one car to another as auto owners.

Anyway, I drove a 5th gen just as soon as my local dealer had one back in 2009, and then I drove a second one many months later. I really wanted to love the car, but it just didn't happen. I've bought several brand new cars from GM (including a Camaro and a Trans Am) over the years, so I am someone that could have been sold on a new Camaro if I had just liked it more. I was more impressed in 1999 with the brand new Z28 that I drove than I was in 2009 with the brand new 5th gen that I drove; this was due mostly to styling and seating position - both a matter of personal preference. The L99 was also a let-down, I probably would have had a more favorable opinion if I could have had an LS3/A6 combo.

It's always possibile that I might end up with a 5th gen one day as a driver (only because I can't buy a brand new 4th gen any more), but I'll never care for it like I have my 4th gens.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-11-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Revoroller
Would be badass if they did a 69 1/2-73 split bumper style for the next gen
Wouldnt it be badass if they came up with original ideas, instead of the retro bullshit? It was cool in the 60's and 70's (well maybe 70's) ******* move on.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I was more impressed in 1999 with the brand new Z28 that I drove than I was in 2009 with the brand new 5th gen that I drove
I think that some of this is because of age increase which brings priority changes and a different mindset. Also, I don't think the new Camaro shares the same heritage as the older Gens do. The older cars were cheap ways to go fast. The newer ones are heavy, and a hell of a lot nicer overall of a car. Comparing a 4th gen to a 5th gen is like comparing an apple to an orange......not so much with a 3rd vs 4th gen (and I've owned both of those).......I've ridden in a new Challenger....man that thing was so damn quiet and squeak/rattle free it was silly, but it didn't have the rawness of my SS. I don't care to spend 30k for that.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
It was debuted almost 4 years before it hit the streets. It was featured in 2 movies before it hit the streets. GM dropped the ball on delivering this car. Do you really want to see this same body for another 3 years?
with the exception of the tail lights, and a few interior bits, this is the best looking camaro that's been built since the 60's. i think this body could easily survive another three years.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
with the exception of the tail lights, and a few interior bits, this is the best looking camaro that's been built since the 60's. i think this body could easily survive another three years.
It looks great! However, it probably won't successfully last another 3yrs. Sure, they could sell it, but at the rate of today and the past couple years? I doubt it.

The main reason isn't even that it's grown long in the tooth aesthetically. That will play some role, but the real "game changer" will be about the press on this one. Any time a new model comes out and can be compared with an existing, particularly in the performance car world, it will be by the automotive press.

That press has already become indignant with what enamored them just 1 or 2yrs ago. They complain about the interior(with justification, but still) to the point people forget about the exterior and even how long this car has been around. The poor qualities aren't even a real issue, but you wouldn't know that based on recent articles. The only REAL issue with the current Camaro is outward visibility... One could also argue that the L99 is a complete and utter waste and should never have been used for anything built after 2004, let alone the "all new" Camaro. The only reason is... There is an LS3!

As much as I like this current Camaro(except that massive rear end) on the outside, I still prefer a 4th gen T/A from end to end. Then again, I also like the 1972 F-body(but not all 2nd gens appeal to me)...

I'm with the majority, I think, when I say the most important change needs to be in the WEIGHT! It needs to lose at very least, 200 lb. It can happen too, if the ATS platform we all seem to expect is the one used. That may bring us a 3500-3600 lb Camaro in V8 automatic form. Couple that with the LS3 and it's going to do very well. Use instead, a 5.5L with DI and it should still work wonderfully. I do hope they bring the rear panels down about 6inches and open the outward view.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is lame.

Everybody wants it to weigh a bunch less, but when it comes out priced at $40-50k because of those expensive lightweight materials these same people will be all "OMG! I won't spend that on a Camaro!! GM is stupid!"

Quick Reply: next gen camaro to debut 2015