Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Comparo - Corvette ZO6 Centennial Edition vs GT-R Premium

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012 | 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I still fail to see why that matters to people so much in a car that has the heritage and legacy of the Corvette. But it's cool, different strokes for different folks.
It matters because it's 70 thousand plus dollars now. Virtually anything else you can buy for that money in it's class or not is vastly nicer inside with better engineering, materials and workmanship.
Old 02-01-2012 | 01:47 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by TriShield
It matters because it's 70 thousand plus dollars now. Virtually anything else you can buy for that money in it's class or not is vastly nicer inside with better engineering, materials and workmanship.
Exactly. While the centennial edition interior upgrade is a welcome addition, the C6 should've gotten an interior freshening in 2008 along with the LS3 debut. It's still 99% the same interior from 2005. That's when GM was just starting to turn around it's game.

Think of what else Chevy was offering in 2005

2005 Malibu

Versus what they redesigned in 2008

2008 Malibu

The Corvette should've gotten an interior freshening, plain and simple. It's a design that's pushing on a decade old and it just doesn't compete with others that are 1-2 years old in 2012. Don't get me wrong, I could go and spend 50k on a new base C6, swap for more supportive seats, and be perfectly content with the interior...but when you shell out double the money for the same thing wrapped in different fabrics, the flaws become much more glaring.
Of course now it's much too late for anything more than what is offered with the centennial package with the C7 looming in the near future. However given the turnaround GM has done with literally every other interior of its models in the past 5-6 years, anything less than a GIANT leap forward in the interior will be a massive mistake.
Old 02-01-2012 | 01:50 AM
***Repost Police***

Nice to see there are others that get it
Old 02-01-2012 | 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Nice to see there are others that get it
I think it's an easy concept to "get", I think that it's just not as important to some people as it is others.
Old 02-01-2012 | 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I think it's an easy concept to "get", I think that it's just not as important to some people as it is others.
Exactly
Old 02-01-2012 | 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

It was in the article...don't act like I'm the only person who has an issue or two with the Corvette's interior.

In case you missed it.
I can not and willl not speak to material quality. However, just from the picture, I do not like the boxiness of the GT-R interior , but that is just a preference. In addition, I think their comment on seating position is entirely subjective. Maybe they prefer a more upright seating position, but that preference and not quantifiable. Material quality, panel gap, and so forth can be.

Z06 for me please.
Old 02-01-2012 | 01:49 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
It seems to me that, not necessarily in this particular thread, some people don't "get" it. GM is attempting to completely transform the actual/perceived quality of all their cars. "Decent enough" isn't anymore. And there is really no reason at all that the Corvette interior can't be as good as many of its competitors. When you try to position yourself as "world-class," that means in EVERYTHING. So you have to stop thinking in terms of "I could afford that in a few years," because that isn't gonna cut it for Chevrolet anymore.
Old 02-01-2012 | 02:09 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Question

It was in the article...don't act like I'm the only person who has an issue or two with the Corvette's interior.

In case you missed it.
The GT-R also has a more upright seating position with a clearer view of the road ahead, while in the Vette you sit low and rearward.
Wow, I sure do hope they don't judge the 'quality' or 'perceived quality' of ALL of their test cars based solely on that criteria...there would be a hole bunch of high dollar sports cars/exotics being panned from here on out as well then. Hmm, sitting low and rearward in a front/mid engined sports car, oh the horror! LOL
"We sat too low in this new Lamborghini and we can't see out of the rear window therefor it's interior sucks!"

And is there any particular reason why you (conveniently? ) left out this part of your quote?:

GM did address one area of the Corvette's interior for 2012, though, and you probably better sit down for this one: The Corvette now has real seats with actual lateral support (even power-adjustable bolsters) and grippy microfiber inserts. No more flopping around through corners. Yet they're still comfy. In fact, we prefer these buckets over the GT-R's seats, which are too narrow and force you to sit more on the seat cushion bolsters than ensconced between them.
Old 02-01-2012 | 02:12 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

GM is attempting to completely transform the actual/perceived quality of all their cars. "Decent enough" isn't anymore. And there is really no reason at all that the Corvette interior can't be as good as many of its competitors. When you try to position yourself as "world-class," that means in EVERYTHING. So you have to stop thinking in terms of "I could afford that in a few years," because that isn't gonna cut it for Chevrolet anymore.
Valid points for sure.
Old 02-01-2012 | 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Corvette the last of GM's products to get an interior update. I personally don't take issue with the C6 interior, The materials are fine I would place it's biggest fault with being bland. You guys complaining about the Corvettes interior have obviously never had the pleasure of being inside a 996 or 997, Then you would truly know what disappointment and cheap was.
Old 02-01-2012 | 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, and that is somewhat true in regards to the Z06 and ZR1, but I'd like you to show me a new car that's available on the market right now that can be had for base LS3 C6 money that can outperform it. You may find cars with nicer interiors for the money, sure, but is that what really matters when it comes to performance cars?

I've said this before and I will say it again, I think the effort was put into where it really matters when it comes to performance-oriented cars, which is the suspension design, powertrain and chassis.
Old 02-01-2012 | 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol at the interior police in here. "Although it's already the best performing car in its price bracket it should also have one of the best interiors." This is a perfect example of having your cake and eating it too. If you want a 60k semi quick car that's luxurious inside go get an audi s5, m3, c63, etc... there are plenty of choices. If you want a car that will destroy all of them there is only one choice, a Z. I'm not even counting the GTR because it's not offered in a manual.
Old 02-01-2012 | 09:37 PM
***Repost Police***

lol at the people who don't want mediocre things to get better.
Old 02-01-2012 | 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
Lol at the interior police in here. "Although it's already the best performing car in its price bracket it should also have one of the best interiors." This is a perfect example of having your cake and eating it too. If you want a 60k semi quick car that's luxurious inside go get an audi s5, m3, c63, etc... there are plenty of choices. If you want a car that will destroy all of them there is only one choice, a Z. I'm not even counting the GTR because it's not offered in a manual.
Finally someone else who gets the point in here.
Old 02-01-2012 | 09:53 PM
***Repost Police***

Simple question; do you think Chevrolet is wasting their precious time and energy improving the interior for the new model? I mean, according to you they just keep the same interior that they've had since 2005. It's good enough, right?
Old 02-01-2012 | 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Simple question; do you think Chevrolet is wasting their precious time and energy improving the interior for the new model? I mean, according to you they just keep the same interior that they've had since 2005. It's good enough, right?
I completely understand where you're coming from, however, I still tend to side with the "interior doesn't define a sports car" crowd. Corvettes are "bang for the buck" cars, and that's been their main formula for 60 years now.

If I were buying a luxury car, yes, interior would be much higher up on the list. But if I'm going for a strictly go-fast car, interior isn't the highest of priorities on my personal list. "Adequate" is just perfect for me in that department.

Would anyone mind a better interior? Probably not. Would they mind a higher MSRP for a fancy high tech interior? In the case of the Corvette, probably yes IMO.

If they made their interior and build quality to say, "Ferrari" standards, we'd have a Ferrari-priced Corvette, which, IMO isn't a Corvette anymore.
Old 02-01-2012 | 10:45 PM
***Repost Police***

You seem to be mistaking "nice," for "high-tech." Not even close. I actually prefer fewer electronics. But material and build quality don't cost as much as some of you think.
Old 02-01-2012 | 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

I for one would be happy with the interior of the Centennial Z. It looks awesome to me, but what do i know i DD a 93' Miata LE and a 4th Gen SS.
Old 02-01-2012 | 11:09 PM
***Repost Police***

Because I like the rest of the car, I would be satisfied with it. But the C7 needs to be better.
Old 02-01-2012 | 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

^^ Agreed. I don't mean full on BMW/Mercedes treatment, but there is room for improvement. The only thing is will it bring it to an even higher price bracket as a result?

Quick Reply: Edmunds Comparo - Corvette ZO6 Centennial Edition vs GT-R Premium