Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

jan. sales for camaro, mustang and challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
If your talking best case scenario and good DA (like you said) the 5th gen LS3 has hit 113mph stock traps that I know of. 110 is pretty much average and has been done in almost all mag reviews. 111-112 is fairly common for private owners also.

I wouldnt say the auto is a dog. A lot of them are hindered by being stuck in low octane mode and the stock tune and trans tune is weak. 12.8 is the best stock run in an L99. A tune only L99 will be equal to a stock ls3 for the most part. Compared to its 5.0 counterpart it is well behind though. They should have just stayed with the LS3 in the auto as well.
I was just saying good da like maybe around sea level ish. which by me in south florida results in ls1 traps around 107-108 and the ls3 camaro traps around 110. If you really want to talk the best scenario then the ls1 has trapped 110.6 in the best da leaving it once again behind about 2mph from the best ls3. With a good street driver the ls3 will be about 2mph faster than the ls1 when its all said and done, again like i said this is where the notion comes from that the cars aren't a bad race because that speed is close enough for driver error or a lid and cutback to make the difference.

When i said the l99 is a dog I meant in stock form. I don't really count a tune as stock, once you tune the car and put a decent set of tires on it it will run well but straight from gm its a little sad
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
no i am not kidding. you are right the LS3 is hella more powerful 426hp>412hp all day long wake up dude. LS3 is 1.2L bigger and can only outpower the coyote by 14hp=weak sauce.
This **** again, seriously?
Repeat it with me : displacement is irrelevant, hp/l is ricer math.
Neither engines are anywhere near their peak, both are being held back purposely, GM CHOSE to go with their LSx design and 6.2L, they didn't "need" the displacement for that output, they CHOSE TO USE IT for the flat torque curve and power delivery (and there are NO downsides to it, so why not go with larger displacement from the same block?)

Which would you rather have, a lighter, smaller engine with more power, or a bigger, heavier engine with less power?
NO ONE is saying the Coyote engine is "bad", but to say stock for stock its better than the LS3 as a performance engine is simply wrong.

just in case you dont remember, the coyote was hitting 10s a month after its release, and 9s a couple of months later, and 8s before the end of the first model year.
Just in case you don't remember we are talking about stock engines, not modded cars.
i like GM just like any other person here, but i am not blind to the facts.
Apparently you are...
FACT: LS3 is lighter, smaller and more powerful.

Originally Posted by Heater
How much does the LS3 weigh?

I think the Coyote weighs around 420/430.
Coyote is claimed to be around 440lbs (which is the same as the "big ole" 7L LS7), the LS3 is around 400-415lbs.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad it's been mentioned. A car couldn't give two ***** if it's engine was 1.2 liters or 12 liters, all it cares about is where the power is being made and how much weight it's hauling, the rest is irrelevant to performance.

That being said, the 5.0 is an awesome motor, I'm extremely impressed with my friends new F150.....but I'd still rather take the LS3.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS3 is 1.2L bigger and can only outpower the coyote by 14hp=weak sauce.
Your opinion is worthless from here on out.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Your opinion is worthless from here on out.
Sure thing your highness..i understand the truth is a hard pill to swallow.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
driving one of these cammers though......i mean c'mon. although ive not raced mine yet(only 900 and change on the clock), there's an automatic equipped one right down the street that went 12.53 right off of the car hauler. tune and drag radials, took it into the 11.5's. that's still with no bolt ons....unless drag radials are considered bolt ons.
Yes, drag radials (and tuning as well for that matter) are considered bolt on modifications, at least they have been in the LSx world for roughly 15 years now.
Bone stock means just that, bone stock (off the showroom floor).

And I know the new 5.0s are impressive as hell...but are you sure that they've hit 11.5s with just tuning and drag radials as the ONLY mods?
I'd heard of 11.9s and there was even rumor of one going 11.7s with just those mods but 11.5s?
Maybe with skinnies and seats removed as well perhaps?

* Edit *
I didn't see the below post before typing mine, I was saying basically the same thing as you are here.
Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I have never heard of an 11.5 with just a tune and a tire. That would be the new world record and far from the norm. The best times I have been able to gather from a tune and tire is high 11's. Just seen one a guy was bragging about at 11.9 and this was at -1500 DA with tune and tire.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 02-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

no i am not kidding. you are right the LS3 is hella more powerful 426hp>412hp all day long wake up dude. LS3 is 1.2L bigger and can only outpower the coyote by 14hp=weak sauce.
And once again as noted earlier, the Coyote has ALL of those extra cams and ALL of those extra valves and still the closest it can come to a simple single cam motor with half the amount of valves is 14hp (less by the way)?
See how it works, this can go on an on all day LOL.
They both have 'power making' advantages over the other, it's NOT just about cubic inches.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An FC20 makes 120hp/liter! the Coyote only makes 82-89hp/liter so the FC20 HAS to be a superior engine. Lets all do 14s!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
And once again as noted earlier, the Coyote has ALL of those extra cams and ALL of those extra valves and still the closest it can come to a simple single cam motor with half the amount of valves is 14hp (less by the way)?
They both have 'power making' advantages over the other, it's NOT just about cubic inches.
Exactly. As was stated earlier, 2 different ways to make power. But you're probably talking to a rock.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, drag radials (and tuning as well for that matter) are considered bolt on modifications, at least they have been in the LSx world for roughly 15 years now.
Bone stock means just that, bone stock (off the showroom floor).

And I know the new 5.0s are impressive as hell...but are you sure that they've hit 11.5s with just tuning and drag radials as the ONLY mods?
I'd heard of 11.9s and there was even rumor of one going 11.7s with just those mods but 11.5s?
Maybe with skinnies and seats removed as well perhaps?

* Edit *
I didn't see the below post before typing mine, I was saying basically the same thing as you are here.
i had replied to the other post.....i've gotta get the time to call that shop, and verify that i heard right.
the 12/53 right off of the carrier, i can believe. i'm not sure about the rest. i don't have anything to compare it to, as i never ran my mustang without them....the one below that is.....i never tried, due to the fact that any launch over 3k rpm simply turned the tires into vapor and balled up rubber bits. i didn't tune that car so much as i changed the ecu with the maf and injectors.

i'll see if i can get a hold of the guy.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

14hp=6hp. next years coyote is 420hp.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

i had replied to the other post.....i've gotta get the time to call that shop, and verify that i heard right.
the 12/53 right off of the carrier, i can believe. i'm not sure about the rest.
Ok cool. I too can easily believe the 12.53 as others have gone even quicker than that in bone stock 5.0s already. And even the 11.9 (with dyno tuning and drag radials) has been verified I think.
The cars are impressive.

14hp=6hp. next years coyote is 420hp.
True.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMFAO...if that's the case, I don't think you have been taking your medication.

Originally Posted by justin455
An FC20 makes 120hp/liter! the Coyote only makes 82-89hp/liter so the FC20 HAS to be a superior engine. Lets all do 14s!
The F22C makes 240hp and is a 2.2L...the Coyote motor has over twice the displacement but doesn't even make twice the power...Whats up with that!? Shouldn't the 5.0 be making 545hp then? (109hp/liter?)

1QWIKZ is going to **** when he sees that the coyote motor is garbage by his own standards...but no worries! We found a great new motor for him to swap in!

Last edited by MasterTomos; 02-08-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
LMFAO...if that's the case, I don't think you have been taking your medication.

The F22C makes 240hp and is a 2.2L...the Coyote motor has over twice the displacement but doesn't even make twice the power...Whats up with that!? Shouldn't the 5.0 be making 545hp then? (109hp/liter?)

1QWIKZ is going to **** when he sees that the coyote motor is garbage by his own standards...but no worries! We found a great new motor for him to swap in!
Haha, I can't wait to see his next mod. He's gonna flip the 5 on 5.0 upside down and glue it back on.

The first gen S2000 used the F20C which is 2.0L and still made the same 240hp. So it's obviously better in ricer math. Stupid Honda, switching to a worse engine with the F22C.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, i see this has turned into a " dog pile on the rabbit" kinda thing. I am not on this site to be a cancer and i do understand all the loyalty to GM. But i was simply making a point that the coyote motor is not inferior to the LS3. I dont own a 5.0, but i do respect what they have accomplished in a very short span...that being said, carry on.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, i see this has turned into a " dog pile on the rabbit" kinda thing.
More like point and laugh at the butthurt mustang fanboy...

I am not on this site to be a cancer and i do understand all the loyalty to GM. But i was simply making a point that the coyote motor is not inferior to the LS3.
No "loyalty" in this discussion, just plain and simple facts.
Stock for stock the LS3 is a better performance engine, its lighter, smaller and more powerful. Whether its a 1L engine or a 10L engine is completely and totally irreverent, because it still smaller and lighter - things that actually matter in the real world.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
More like point and laugh at the butthurt mustang fanboy...

No "loyalty" in this discussion, just plain and simple facts.
Stock for stock the LS3 is a better performance engine, its lighter, smaller and more powerful. Whether its a 1L engine or a 10L engine is completely and totally irreverent, because it still smaller and lighter - things that actually matter in the real world.
does a stock ls3 camaro beat a stock coyote mustang?

didn't think so.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, i see this has turned into a " dog pile on the rabbit" kinda thing. I am not on this site to be a cancer and i do understand all the loyalty to GM. But i was simply making a point that the coyote motor is not inferior to the LS3. I dont own a 5.0, but i do respect what they have accomplished in a very short span...that being said, carry on.
You hinted towards the fact that the LS3 was inferior or "less impressive" in some way because it had more displacement and not a ton more power in comparison to the 5.0

If you simply would have said something like "The LS3 and the 5.0 Coyote are comparable motors" nobody (who knows what they're talking about anyway) would have said much about it or disagreed.

When you barge in and imply the LS3 isn't as impressive as the 5.0 because of displacement, you'll lose that argument before you begin because

a). You're wrong
b). There are obviously many GM fans here, and they'll tell you you're wrong and why you're wrong...NOT just because they're "loyalists"

didn't think so.
Most times no, but it's not because of the motor itself, which is what we've been discussing most recently (5.0 vs. LS3, not a "Mustang with" a 5.0 v a "Camaro with" an LS3)

Does a Coyote 5.0 beat an LS3 Corvette?

Didn't think so...

See what I did there?

Last edited by MasterTomos; 02-08-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

didn't think so.
I do believe we are discussing the engine itself here, not the car.

LS3 Corvette is faster than the 5.0 Mustang is faster than the LS3 Camaro.

:edit: beat me to it!

Quick Reply: jan. sales for camaro, mustang and challenger