Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

jan. sales for camaro, mustang and challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
I do believe we are discussing the engine itself here, not the car.

LS3 Corvette is faster than the 5.0 Mustang is faster than the LS3 Camaro.
now i'll throw your own argument right back at ya....if the mustang was lighter like the vette, that may be different.
your turn.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
now i'll throw your own argument right back at ya....if the mustang was lighter like the vette, that may be different.
your turn.
Ok fine. Lets break it down to simple math.

Same exact car down to everything, weights, transmission, gearing, etc.

Put an LS3 in it, which is lighter and more powerful, and it will be faster than if you put the heavier and less powerful 5.0 in it. That is, if it physically fit.

So you'd have two identical cars down to the nuts and bolts. Each chassis without the engine weighs 3000lbs. The LS3 car will be a few lbs lighter after the engines are installed, AND had a little more power. More power + less weight = faster.

Your turn.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
See what I did there?
Yes,

Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Lmao...I was hoping someone would respond with one of those.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
More like point and laugh at the butthurt mustang fanboy...

No "loyalty" in this discussion, just plain and simple facts.
Stock for stock the LS3 is a better performance engine, its lighter, smaller and more powerful. Whether its a 1L engine or a 10L engine is completely and totally irreverent, because it still smaller and lighter - things that actually matter in the real world.
Like i posted before, i dont own a mustang and am not a "fanboy". Your arguement about the LS3 being lighter(by 25 lbs but what good does that do when its in a boat anchor), smaller(????still dont get that one since the coyote's displacement is 1.2L smaller), more powerful( by 14hp and 20+tq...but again doesnt help when its in a tank) doesnt hold water. I would have entertained your arguement if you had better examples such as the LS3 having better internals, better flowing heads, more efficient, etc.. That to me qualifies as a better engine .

Last edited by 1QWIKZ; 02-09-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Ok fine. Lets break it down to simple math.

Same exact car down to everything, weights, transmission, gearing, etc.

Put an LS3 in it, which is lighter and more powerful, and it will be faster than if you put the heavier and less powerful 5.0 in it. That is, if it physically fit.

So you'd have two identical cars down to the nuts and bolts. Each chassis without the engine weighs 3000lbs. The LS3 car will be a few lbs lighter after the engines are installed, AND had a little more power. More power + less weight = faster.

Your turn.
the torque/power band is about equal on these engines. in the same car.......drivers race. six hp doesn't make that much difference. or if you go by some dyno tests, the 5 liter is a tick over 430hp, making it smaller, heavier, and more powerful.

your turn.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
Like i posted before, i dont own a mustang and am not a "fanboy". Your arguement about the LS3 being lighter(by 25 lbs but what good does that do when its in a boat anchor), smaller(????still dont get that one since the coyote's displacement is 1.2L smaller), more powerful( by 14hp and 20+tq...but again doesnt help when its in a tank) doesnt hold water. I would have entertained your arguement if you had better examples such as the LS3 having better internals, better flowing heads, more efficient, etc.. That to me qualifies as a better engine .
he means it's physically smaller. OHC engines are necessarily taller and wider than their OHV counterparts.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kinda dumb to compare a c6 to a mustang,thats just mo, if you keep it against the pony cars the mustang is the best buy period, i went out and test drove a 5th gen not to long ago and i feel its a much better car than a 4th gen but performance wasnt all there for the price tag, the mustang ran great, int was better and overall the car just felt alot stronger, factor in all that with the price for sure its the best buy, i still love the 5th gens and would like to own one but not for new retail price, ill wait for the budget lot lol
Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

he means it's physically smaller. OHC engines are necessarily taller and wider than their OHV counterparts.
Ok..got it. I aslo forgot to mention that the Boss comes with 444hp, so i guess the LS3 being more powerful statement is not necessarily true...just saying.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you not understand that the engine can be physically smaller on the outside, but still displace more on the inside? Displacement isn't size, it's the product of a damn math equation. I'll sum it up with a post made in another thread of OHC leg humping.

You may need to do more research then, what about when in a V-engine (like the V8 we are talking about) the added size, weight, cost and complexity vs a pushrod engine?
Ford 5L pushrod and 4.6l mod motor...

LS2 and VQ35 V6

Fords 5.4L OHC vs 5.0L OHV

This kind of thing has been discussed on here countless times. I think Ill take the lighter, smaller, less complex, more powerful LS pushrod over an OHC V8...
I don't see any good reason GM would go with a DOHC V8, back in the late 90s they even admitted the Northstar V8 was made for marketing for the fanboys that want a "high tech" engine.

the torque/power band is about equal on these engines. in the same car.......drivers race. six hp doesn't make that much difference. or if you go by some dyno tests, the 5 liter is a tick over 430hp, making it smaller, heavier, and more powerful.

your turn.

"some dyno tests" don't really mean crap in this instance. every dyno is different. ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL as already stated, a little less weight, a little more power will be a little bit faster. I'm talking 10ths or 100ths in the 1/4, but still.

Regardless, it's a damn personal preference. And I prefer the smaller, simpler package.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you go back and look JD_AMG's original statement, he never said PHYSICALLY SMALLER...he only stated the LS3 was smaller, so i thought he meant displacement wise.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok..got it. I aslo forgot to mention that the Boss comes with 444hp, so i guess the LS3 being more powerful statement is not necessarily true...just saying.
The boss 302 (different from the standard coyote 5.0 we were talking about) also has different egnine internals. Sure, it's still the same "coyote" engine family, but the motor is itself different.

Well the 6.2 LS motor in the ZR1 motor makes 639hp...amazing what happens when you add different pieces to a motor, isn't it?

By the way, I feel like I'm trying to educate a stubborn know it all high school kid here...lol, just saying...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

technically speaking, the boss302 engine is a different engine than the gt's engine. that's why i didn't go there.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I keep waiting to mustang to sell more because of 5.0 but Camaro has a lot of love
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

How do you not understand that the engine can be physically smaller on the outside, but still displace more on the inside? Displacement isn't size, it's the product of a damn math equation. I'll sum it up with a post made in another thread of OHC leg humping.

"some dyno tests" don't really mean crap in this instance. every dyno is different. ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL as already stated, a little less weight, a little more power will be a little bit faster. I'm talking 10ths or 100ths in the 1/4, but still.

Regardless, it's a damn personal preference. And I prefer the smaller, simpler package.
if i were thinking of doing a swap.....i'd go down in my basement, and grab an old 302 block, heads, crank, and start there. slam it all together, and put it in something cool. i'm not though. i'm driving my gt. like i said....i used to argue totally against cammers till i drove one of these.

what really amazes me, is that ford never built the 4.6's that you found in the common gt's to make any real power. these engines have much much more potential than anyone thinks, and it could easily have been done.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Man I keep waiting to mustang to sell more because of 5.0 but Camaro has a lot of love
ths camaro's only 2 years old. the "new" hasn't worn off yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I always enjoyed the fact at one manufacturer went OHC and one stayed pushrod *shrug*

Enthusiasts(not those blinded by brand loyalty) are able to choose between the two and have good results with either. There are huge aftermarkets with both and both are very capable. I never understand this intense need to choose one over the other. I like both for different reasons and for different applications.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The boss 302 (different from the standard coyote 5.0 we were talking about) also has different egnine internals. Sure, it's still the same "coyote" engine family, but the motor is itself different.

Well the 6.2 LS motor in the ZR1 motor makes 639hp...amazing what happens when you add different pieces to a motor, isn't it?

By the way, I feel like I'm trying to educate a stubborn know it all high school kid here...lol, just saying...
I know the Boss has forged internals,CNC'd heads, intake...i just threw that in there for the sake of arguement, and i see your point about the ZR1. Like i posted before, i think that the coyote motor is being dismissed without any consideration of its ablilities just because its a Ford engine.

BTW, I dont think the federal govt hires high school kids..and my education level is well past that...please dont try to insult me in that sense...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

I know the Boss has forged internals,CNC'd heads, intake...i just threw that in there for the sake of arguement, and i see your point about the ZR1. Like i posted before, i think that the coyote motor is being dismissed without any consideration of its ablilities just because its a Ford engine.

BTW, I dont think the federal govt hires high school kids..and my education level is well past that...please dont try to insult me in that sense...
the boss engine has different cams too.

the coyote engine is only being dismissed by two types on here.

1)blind brand loyalists. i'm sure the same crap happens on ford boards.

EDIT.....
make that three types

2) people that like to argue here.

EDIT.....
make that three types
3) those that refuse to give up the past.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
***Repost Police***

An FC20 makes 120hp/liter! the Coyote only makes 82-89hp/liter so the FC20 HAS to be a superior engine. Lets all do 14s!
F20C
More like point and laugh at the butthurt mustang fanboy...

No "loyalty" in this discussion, just plain and simple facts.
Stock for stock the LS3 is a better performance engine, its lighter, smaller and more powerful. Whether its a 1L engine or a 10L engine is completely and totally irreverent, because it still smaller and lighter - things that actually matter in the real world.
Seriously, he's a "Mustang fanboy?" You use that word WAY too much.

Quick Reply: jan. sales for camaro, mustang and challenger