Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Deliveries of New Chevrolet Caprice Delayed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Deliveries of New Chevrolet Caprice Delayed

GM admits to delays in delivering new Caprice to police

General Motors has confirmed that there is a delay in when police departments are receiving their Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicles (PPVs).

This delay could affect the ordering process for many departments’ fleets, suspending any additional purchases to the next fiscal year until the PPV can be properly tested by each. We spoke to more than five departments in our local Tampa Bay area. Of those, only two had received PPVs for testing while another three were still waiting for delivery of their cars. The two that had received their PPVs, the Clearwater Police Department and Largo Police Department, only ordered a couple vehicles to test against competitors from Dodge and Ford before making the decision whether to purchase more. The time it is taking to acquire test vehicles is pushing back any changes to these departments’ fleets. The Largo Police Department, for instance, ordered more Ford Crown Victorias for 2012 to satisfy its need for new cruisers until the PPV could be properly tested.

The delay appears to stem from two key areas: shipping from Australia and at the dealerships.

“We did order these vehicles as soon as we received pricing,” said Deputy Chief Jeff Undestad of the Largo Police Department. But, it took GM more than eight months to deliver its cars, and another five months at the dealer level to equip them for police duty. As Undestad explained, last minute changes made by GM kept affecting vendors’ fabrication processes, resulting in many vendors waiting until the last minute to design the necessary gear. This has caused interruptions at the dealerships responsible for equipping much of the police hardware.

Undestad isn’t the only that has noticed the delays. Rick Carnley, assistant director of solid waste and general services for the Clearwater Police Department, who helps oversee the fleet purchases, said it took GM 10 months to deliver its two test vehicles, and he has real concerns about GM’s ability to deliver any future purchases in a timely manner. He compared his wait negatively to Chrysler’s usual delivery time of 60–90 days.

Pamela Flores, customer care and aftersales for GM’s Fleet and Commercial Operations, confirmed the shipping holdups, but estimated it is postponing deliveries by only five months.

“There is additional shipping time because the vehicle is coming from Australia thru California where it has to go thru the import process,” Flores said. “The GM police vehicle content is added and then shipped to the dealer, generally on rail a long distance…We are making every effort to get our orders completed as quickly as possible.”

She also mentioned that GM now has a pool of inventory at the port, which should help reduce the time it takes departments to acquire their vehicles.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car would look great if they had kept a more Holden looking front end. They so murdered it.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
That car would look great if they had kept a more Holden looking front end. They so murdered it.
Should have just rebadged the G8!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

I've seen the Caprice at a couple local dealers, Doesn't look to bad from the front. However, the back end looks like a mix between a Malibu and an Impala. Will be interesting to see if they will make a Caprice SS for the public.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

I've seen one at a dealership in temple Texas a few weeks ago
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
Will be interesting to see if they will make a Caprice SS for the public.
I hope they do, maybe set it up just like the G8 GXP was (LS3, better suspension etc.). I wouldn't mind seeing the shorter (G8 sized) version brought in again either.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This car is far too ugly for me to care about, even if it does come with an LS3 (SS version). The G8 GXP is/was a great looking car. This doesn't even look close to the same.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Even though these cars do come with a LS3 they are very very heavy and need all of that power. I don't even consider my GXP to be all that fast. They handle like mega boats as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
This car is far too ugly for me to care about, even if it does come with an LS3 (SS version). The G8 GXP is/was a great looking car. This doesn't even look close to the same.
Agreed.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

They don't weigh anymore than a ZL1, I wouldn't call that "very very" heavy for a 4-door full-size car with all the police gear on it. That's in the same ballpark as the Crown Victoria's and Caprices.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a boat...
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

we have it here LS,LTZ and SS
Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

This program is turning into a typical GM debacle. Why any PD would even bother when the Chrysler products are entirely suitable and readily available is a mystery to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gocartone
They don't weigh anymore than a ZL1, I wouldn't call that "very very" heavy for a 4-door full-size car with all the police gear on it. That's in the same ballpark as the Crown Victoria's and Caprices.
You realise that the Camaro is a completely different car and only loosely based on the VE platform right? The bushings, ball joints, struts. Not that much is interchangeable. Plus the ZL1 has tons more HP and better gearing.

Just saying ---
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You realise that the Camaro is a completely different car and only loosely based on the VE platform right? The bushings, ball joints, struts. Not that much is interchangeable. Plus the ZL1 has tons more HP and better gearing.

Just saying ---
And it's also a 2-door sports car that they tried to make light, not a 4-door full-size fully loaded police cruiser.

Just saying...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Why any PD would even bother when the Chrysler products are entirely suitable and readily available is a mystery to me.
Well, it depends if you prefer LSx (L76 6.0L) power or Hemi power.
I happen to like both of them and that new Charger is pretty sweet looking too.

Quick Reply: Deliveries of New Chevrolet Caprice Delayed