Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Chris Rado`s crazy 2500hp street Supra

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

neat setup. i wonder how long the stock block casting will last at that power level considering a lot of the architecture is LS based..lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
neat setup. i wonder how long the stock block casting will last at that power level considering a lot of the architecture is LS based..lol.
Good question. I'm sure they pulled out all the stops with trying to keep the block together.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
Good point, especially at those rpms. And yeah I know Bill Warners bike is far from stock, I wasnt trying to imply that fairing work was the only thing done......buddy. Sorry if it came across that way. I try to follow what he does on suzukihayabusa.org very closely. I figured people on a car site wouldnt much care anyway though, guess not but whatever.

And as far as traction issues, I dont know now, I mean of course 2500hp isnt going to hook on the street if you you let the turbos spool normally. But if you read what Rado said how theyre doing the boost management I think itll do alright. Theyre basically stepping up the boost by speed so I really dont see why it would just blow the tires off uncontrollably no matter what. Saying its impossible is very ignorant imo, with a team like Rado`s Im sure they can get it to work. They have accomplished quite a bit, and Rado drives a 2000hp drag car btw so its not like he doesnt know what hes getting into.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by jbhotrod
Good point, especially at those rpms. And yeah I know Bill Warners bike is far from stock, I wasnt trying to imply that fairing work was the only thing done......buddy. Sorry if it came across that way. I try to follow what he does on suzukihayabusa.org very closely. I figured people on a car site wouldnt much care anyway though, guess not but whatever.

And as far as traction issues, I dont know now, I mean of course 2500hp isnt going to hook on the street if you you let the turbos spool normally. But if you read what Rado said how theyre doing the boost management I think itll do alright. Theyre basically stepping up the boost by speed so I really dont see why it would just blow the tires off uncontrollably no matter what. Saying its impossible is very ignorant imo, with a team like Rado`s Im sure they can get it to work. They have accomplished quite a bit, and Rado drives a 2000hp drag car btw so its not like he doesnt know what hes getting into.
Nobody said they don't know what they're doing, just saying that it probably won't happen as easily as some may thing. Of course he's got a good grasp on things, but hitting 250+ in a mile with a 'street' car isn't something you do right out of the box. Hell the LMR guys brought their corvette to the GM wind tunnel to do testing and data logging to figure out how to make the car more stable at 250mph and how to reduce drag at the same time. Things are dramatically different at 250mph than they are at 200.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Hm, do you know what the highest speed LMR reached with their car was? Or do you know where I could find more info on the car?

Also,what would you say is the most aerodynamic car right out of the factory? How does, say, a C6`s aeros compare with like a Gallardo and a Viper? And does the rear end of a car affect the aeros very much(aside from a spoiler), or is it pretty much all about the front? Because for exaple, on MotoGP bikes, the rear end barely amounts to anything. Although Im not sure this would apply to cars.

Last edited by jbhotrod; 03-07-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Lift, frontal area, drag coefficient.
Sometimes it pays to have a "less aerodynamic" car if it means it will stay on the ground.

Drag Area (frontal area and drag coefficient) is crucial in determining top speed.
A base C6 has a drag coefficient of .286. It also has a fairly small frontal area.
A Z06 has a drag coefficient of .34... Why? Because of additional down force, for improved handling at speed.

A base C6 has a frontal area of about 22 sq ft. So its drag area is around 6.29.

An MK4 supra has a drag coefficient of .31-.32+ (depending on wing).
It is about as wide and taller, so it's drag area is likely higher.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 03-07-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

How do you factor things like superchargers sticking out the hood or grills/air inlets/scoops into the aeros of a car? Im sure they create turbulence but can you assign a quantity to it? And where do you get the drag coefficients for cars, or did you calculate it yourself?

And a random question: the drag coefficient equation requires one to have the drag force, while the drag force equation requires the coefficient of drag. If you dont know either one, how would one go about solving it? I guess real world testing?

Last edited by jbhotrod; 03-07-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sick car.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And does the rear end of a car affect the aeros very much(aside from a spoiler),
The rear is very important. It affects how the air releases from the vehicle. Look at the rear of a Cup Car. Sharp 90* release. Look how much sharper the edge is on the C6 over the C5. Ther newer high end sports cars are getting sharper at the rear of the fenders.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Here's the article on the camaro they built for the texas mile events:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ity/index.html

And here's the article about the corvette they brought to the GM wind tunnel.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...rag/index.html
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't believe that a 2JZ making 2500hp could be reliable enough to go in a street car... V8 FTW!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'd be curious what a NHRA Pro-stock car with the right gearing could run considering they go 200+ in a quarter mile.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for showing me that alchemist. Im not sure if its the same car but the only thing I remember LMR doing was making a 239mph pass on 20" street tires or something like that and never heard anything else about it.

And the 2JZ, lol, Im glad there arent any/many Supra worshippers in here, wed never hear the end of them saying something like "if Rado was smart he wouldve used a 2JZ he coulda made 2600hp" lol. It seems the Supra fanboys that say the most ignorant things dont even own one. I think an import with a V8 is badass, much less one with a Jap DOHC V8. Yet in the comments on that site there were guys shunning him for taking the 2JZ out, like it wouldve even been capable of doing that. There just comes a point when displacement will take over.

Id like to see what a Pro Stock car would do too. They only push ~1400hp yet were running next to 2500hp Outlaw cars/Pro Mods up til a few years ago. Those teams know what the hell theyre doing. It really shows what can be done with enough $$$.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Id like to see what a Pro Stock car would do too. They only push ~1400hp yet were running next to 2500hp Outlaw cars/Pro Mods up til a few years ago. Those teams know what the hell theyre doing. It really shows what can be done with enough $$$.
You can't compare pro stock to pro mod. The cars are night and day different. Look at NHRA cars. NHRA PS cars are a max of 500CI, min weight of 2350, 1300+ hp, and spin 10k+ rpm on NA setups. Pro mods are way different. Weight, engine cubes, blower/turbo sizing, sometimes fuel is different also depending on power adder. If your running a turbo, you have X cubes and weight where a blower or nitrous car could have X cubes and weight. Where Pro Stock is basically "cookie cutter" type of cars. The only big differences are they could be powered by gm, ford, or hemi based big blocks. Something that is comparable to an nhra pro stock car would have been the pro stock trucks before nhra axed them. Pro stock trucks had the same limitations as cars. Now I can see Maybe a non competitive pro mod being kinda close to a pro stock, but even then the times from start to the stripe are off by a decent amount.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

And the 2JZ, lol, Im glad there arent any/many Supra worshippers in here, wed never hear the end of them saying something like "if Rado was smart he wouldve used a 2JZ he coulda made 2600hp" lol. It seems the Supra fanboys that say the most ignorant things dont even own one.
LOL, I agree.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Yes I know theyre much different, just using those as a rough example of how strong pro stock cars run; ignoring the difference in tire, $$, weight, years theyve been running, etc. I like pro stock cars but I much prefer watching and following OL and P/M, especially with the turbo cars starting to really get dialed in. With so many big names going turbo for this year in pro xtreme hopefully well see some some 3.70s maybe 3.60s out of the turbo cars. That reminds me, time to head over to yb to see if theres any updates from Gainesville. May just ride down there this weekend.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

LMR went 246.4mph and I believe there is still more left in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=c7Vml-gEzW8#!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yes I know theyre much different, just using those as a rough example of how strong pro stock cars run; ignoring the difference in tire, $$, weight, years theyve been running, etc. I like pro stock cars but I much prefer watching and following OL and P/M, especially with the turbo cars starting to really get dialed in. With so many big names going turbo for this year in pro xtreme hopefully well see some some 3.70s maybe 3.60s out of the turbo cars. That reminds me, time to head over to yb to see if theres any updates from Gainesville. May just ride down there this weekend.
I love stock style suspension classes and drag radial classes. NHRA the sportsman classes and pro stock are my favorites. I don't care for top fuel or the bikes so I do agree.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
I love stock style suspension classes and drag radial classes. NHRA the sportsman classes and pro stock are my favorites. I don't care for top fuel or the bikes so I do agree.
Oh yes, the Drag radial scene is really popping. Those are probably the wildest cars out there imo. Although Id much rather see D/R cars run the full 1/4 than the 1/8 like nearly everyone is doing nowadays; X275, etc.

Also, is there any credibility to this/am I interpreting it right?:

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...one-fast-supra

"Between Luzinsky's expertise (currently holds World's 6 cylinder turbo ET record in the 1/8 mile at 3.93 seconds and Speed record at 190) and Tecklenburg's expertise (currently holds World's all time quickest turbo vehicle of any kind to 1/8 mile 3.82 seconds) they were able to predict to within .008 seconds what the car was capable of in it's present configuration, writing down 6.469 seconds during the pre event engineer briefing with EKanoo Racing Car Chief Haider Koohzad of Muharraq, Bahrain."

A SUPRA HOLDS THE FASTEST TURBO 1/8?!
Damn, well I imagine thatll change pretty quickly this year with more turbo entries in Pro Xtreme...
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Oh yes, the Drag radial scene is really popping. Those are probably the wildest cars out there imo. Although Id much rather see D/R cars run the full 1/4 than the 1/8 like nearly everyone is doing nowadays; X275, etc.

Also, is there any credibility to this/am I interpreting it right?:

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...one-fast-supra

"Between Luzinsky's expertise (currently holds World's 6 cylinder turbo ET record in the 1/8 mile at 3.93 seconds and Speed record at 190) and Tecklenburg's expertise (currently holds World's all time quickest turbo vehicle of any kind to 1/8 mile 3.82 seconds) they were able to predict to within .008 seconds what the car was capable of in it's present configuration, writing down 6.469 seconds during the pre event engineer briefing with EKanoo Racing Car Chief Haider Koohzad of Muharraq, Bahrain."

A SUPRA HOLDS THE FASTEST TURBO 1/8?!
Damn, well I imagine thatll change pretty quickly this year with more turbo entries in Pro Xtreme...

The article is referring to a car that he worked on in the past, not the Supra in that vid. The car in the vid broke a Supra record.

It looks like you are trying to take away from this car's accomplishment because you obviously don't like the 2JZ. Its a solid motor in its own right and still managed to keep itself relevant in modern performance.

Now as for the car in the thread I must say it sounds very impressive and a good move for that type of power.

Last edited by TheHitman; 03-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Chris Rado`s crazy 2500hp street Supra