Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nurburgring in USA?! Replica proposed for Vegas area.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will run it if it's built I do damn good on that track on Forza so i gotta be a pro huh? haha
Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
I do. There are always people that over estimate their abilities...and if driving on the ring is as easy as driving in a straight line, road racing/auto cross would probly be more popular...and most of the tracks we have are not even on the same level of difficulty that Nurburg has.

Basically saying the weekend enthusiast cane go drag on the weekend with little danger. You get an inexperienced driver on the ring with other drivers and the chance for an accident rises. I would love to drive the ring, but when you don't know anything about the other people next to you, I wouldn't be so sure.
Very true, the Ring by design utilizes a very different driving style. There was an article about that in one of my many car magazines I read. It was saving how it not uncommon to see beater cheap weekend cars driven by "ringers" to be blowing the doors off tourist and newbies in cars that are much faster over all.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it would be better if we could come up with our own badass track that really tests drivers and have its own original name, we shouldnt have to copy the germans. lets be original
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking that myself. Kind of a rip-off, lets the German's have their famed Nurburgring and us have our own crazy *** track. Make it even more intense and insane so IT becomes the new test bed for everything. Wouldn't that tick everyone off.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
I was thinking that myself. Kind of a rip-off, lets the German's have their famed Nurburgring and us have our own crazy *** track. Make it even more intense and insane so IT becomes the new test bed for everything. Wouldn't that tick everyone off.
Not sure that's possible
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Not sure that's possible
Defiantly not enough elevation changes to rival the ring in that category haha, but perhaps just some super tricky corner set ups

I would love to take a ride in the "ring taxi" to fully experience that what that road is like. They say some of those turns have you practically staring straight up into the sky as you crest the hills
Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Defiantly not enough elevation changes to rival the ring in that category haha, but perhaps just some super tricky corner set ups

I would love to take a ride in the "ring taxi" to fully experience that what that road is like. They say some of those turns have you practically staring straight up into the sky as you crest the hills
I know Vegas is basically flat
elevation changes are a real test of driver and machine

Anyhow why do we need the ring in the USA?
we have awesome tracks like
Leguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Pikes Peak
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 69TA
I know Vegas is basically flat
elevation changes are a real test of driver and machine

Anyhow why do we need the ring in the USA?
we have awesome tracks like
Leguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Pikes Peak
We don't have any tracks LIKE the Ring though. Nothing that tests cars and drivers like that.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look up Travis Prastrana when he breaks the record
at Pikes Peak and tell me we don't have anything on the Ring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXJYc4CpXA
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Look up Travis Prastrana when he breaks the record
at Pikes Peak and tell me we don't have anything on the Ring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXJYc4CpXA
Like I said, there is nothing like the Nurburgring anywhere else in the world. Pikes Peak is awesome, but not the same.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Should be pretty sweet! I was wondering when someone was going to build an American version of the ring
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still don't see why people make such a big deal about the ring.
There are better tracks than the ring.

Isle Man TT for one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI
Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 AM
***Repost Police***

I still don't see why people make such a big deal about the ring.
There are better tracks than the ring.

Isle Man TT for one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI
Also a great track. Also very much in the spirit of the Nurburgring, and something we have nothing similar to in this country.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you implying the Ring is the top dog because it is such a hard coarse to race on or because it's old and winds thru Medevil towns and castles?

Because Europe is like how many hundreds of years older than the USA?
How would we have race tracks that wind thru castles and hundreds of year old towns

Besides the people in the USA are so tight a$$ed about racing and wanting to sue everybody for every little stupid thing no one would even consider doing something like that over here.

I have nothing against the Ring, it's a cool track but when I watch people racing on there I don't get that ooh tinglely feeling like it's the $hit like you are making it out to be and all the German car makers make it out to be. And that all the American car builders should spend thousands of dollars shipping our cars over there to test on that track. Actaully when I watch the video of cars racing on the ring it looks rather boring. It's just a super long *** track with mainly lots of high speed turns, imo not a whole lot of 100 to 0, 0 back up to 100 type turns, no negative camber down hill sweepers, I mean even Laguna Seca which is a lot smaller and tighter of a track I feel has more technical and harder turns.

There are a lot of good tracks in the USA, ones with crazy and technical turns
ones with crazy *** elevation rises and drops. Where when the guy racing on them goes ripping thru your heart is stopping when you watch the guy go over the rise or down the chicane into some crazy corkscrew or something. Like when you watch them race and you just feel something epic is taking place I just don't get that with the Ring.

Road Atlanta
Infineon Raceway
Virginia International Raceway
Watkins Glen
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Road America

Have you actually raced on or seen races or videos of any of these tracks?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 AM
***Repost Police***

Are you implying the Ring is the top dog because it is such a hard coarse to race on or because it's old and winds thru Medevil towns and castles?

Because Europe is like how many hundreds of years older than the USA?
How would we have race tracks that wind thru castles and hundreds of year old towns

Besides the people in the USA are so tight a$$ed about racing and wanting to sue everybody for every little stupid thing no one would even consider doing something like that over here.

I have nothing against the Ring, it's a cool track but when I watch people racing on there I don't get that ooh tinglely feeling like it's the $hit like you are making it out to be and all the German car makers make it out to be. And that all the American car builders should spend thousands of dollars shipping our cars over there to test on that track. Actaully when I watch the video of cars racing on the ring it looks rather boring. It's just a super long *** track with mainly lots of high speed turns, imo not a whole lot of 100 to 0, 0 back up to 100 type turns, no negative camber down hill sweepers, I mean even Laguna Seca which is a lot smaller and tighter of a track I feel has more technical and harder turns.

There are a lot of good tracks in the USA, ones with crazy and technical turns
ones with crazy *** elevation rises and drops. Where when the guy racing on them goes ripping thru your heart is stopping when you watch the guy go over the rise or down the chicane into some crazy corkscrew or something. Like when you watch them race and you just feel something epic is taking place I just don't get that with the Ring.

Road Atlanta
Infineon Raceway
Virginia International Raceway
Watkins Glen
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Road America

Have you actually raced on or seen races or videos of any of these tracks?
I'm tired of repeating myself, so I'll just say a nice blanket "yes."
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take over:
From what I know there is no 12mile track with 100+ turns with various elevation changes in the US.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Isle of Man is nice but goes through towns and is not a 24/7 track that can be used as such...

Pikes peak is more of a really long WRC special stage. very little more.

The ring is a track that is a actual race track and is also a highly demanding long course with MANY different types of corners with massive elivation changes. There is no place yet that replicates the dedicated race course type experiance with all of the things the ring offers.

Yes the isle of man is a great track for TT but isnt available 24/7 for racing.

Plus it terms of complexity.

here is the 30 somthing mile ISLE OF MAN course

Here is the shorter(but still VERY long) Nurburgring course... More corners less hilly straightaways.

Nuf said I am excited to hear about a US copy, even if a cheap rip off of the original.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man you guys really buy the hype of the ring.

We don't even need to build a replica. Just close off
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC and we would instantly have
our very own Nurburgring.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

See that would be GREAT. But they wont do it. Too many lawyers and estrogen in this country. Period. One of the few places that isnt as true is vegas.

hardest part is going to be elevation changes.

Take the tail of the dragon or any of the great mountain pass roads in this country and build them into a nice 12-20 mile loop and youll be good. But its about where and who would say ok.

NIMBY will come up pretty much anywhere.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Isle of Man is nice but goes through towns and is not a 24/7 track that can be used as such...

Pikes peak is more of a really long WRC special stage. very little more.

The ring is a track that is a actual race track and is also a highly demanding long course with MANY different types of corners with massive elivation changes. There is no place yet that replicates the dedicated race course type experiance with all of the things the ring offers.

Yes the isle of man is a great track for TT but isnt available 24/7 for racing.

Plus it terms of complexity.

here is the 30 somthing mile ISLE OF MAN course

Here is the shorter(but still VERY long) Nurburgring course... More corners less hilly straightaways.

Nuf said I am excited to hear about a US copy, even if a cheap rip off of the original.
I feel the same way you do. The ring is on my bucketlist, but doign it here would be fine with me.

However, the amount of money to replicate it would be very challenging. Earth moving, elevation changes, and exact corners would make for a nightmare on cost.

My ideal dream would be a motorsports venue that had ALL of these at one location:
long, technical road course track (13+ turns, a few LONG stretches)
3-4 turn banked oval 1.5-2 miles in length
1/4 mile drag strip
Stand mile drag strip
Autocross, and skidpad course
cart course

Some places I have been have some of the above, but not everything. I would love to test my car in the same day at a round course, 1/4 mile, and standing mile.

Quick Reply: Nurburgring in USA?! Replica proposed for Vegas area.