Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nurburgring in USA?! Replica proposed for Vegas area.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CTSVBiggie,

Nurburgring is not even a real race track either
in that you can't race side by side so can anyone even
really say that the Ring is a real race track.

It's a TT track just like the Isle of Man

Also I beg to differ with you about the comlexity.

Look at two videos of people running on them both
and you will see a totally different picture as to which one
is more complex.

Again I didn't say the Ring was a bad track. Just don't see
what all the hype that everyone makes it out to be as the track of all tracks.

Again to the blanket statement guy
just have anyone who is unbiased look at the videos of Travis at Pikes Peak and one of your best of the ring (Ferrari 599, Nissan GT-R, Porsche GT-2, whatever).

When the video is done ask that person what was more impressive the Ring or TP going up Pikes Peak.

Rather yet,
post up the link of your best video you got on the Ring and
I will start a new thread with a poll just to see what people think.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Take the tail of the dragon or any of the great mountain pass roads in this country and build them into a nice 12-20 mile loop and youll be good. But its about where and who would say ok.

NIMBY will come up pretty much anywhere.
4am runs make this a reality!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
4am runs make this a reality!
that's what I am saying.

we have the roads, it's the people and the politics
that will keep it from ever happening.

the Ring is basically not even a two lane road...so of course it's going
to look bad ***...hell if I am ripping thru a one lane road in a cemetary it would look bad *** too.

Lol, don't make me bring up the Indy 500
Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69TA
Orly? Tell that to the countless race series that took place there..
Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolfsblut
Orly? Tell that to the countless race series that took place there..
Settle down there...side by side racing

It is more a Time Trials type of race track.

Racing is a lot different when you run side by side along with
other people anything can happen.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Side by side? Are you a nascar fan or something. Proper race tracks have one proper line. And passes have to be made in proper areas. No you will never see a set of cars going into a turn three abreast. But you will see em go two if someones trying to make a pass.

Pikes peak is a point to point race, kinda hard to LAP it.

There are other places they could replicate. IMO take a little from each and make your OWN ring... DO it original using noteable corners from around the world. Cork screw with a carousel to enter it sounds PERFECT..
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am a fan of racing, any kind of racing, be it even a foot race.

I like the Ring, but it is kind of boring when you watch it. I mean how long can you watch car after car pulling a time trial racing the clock. The Ring from what I understand back in the 70's used to be more side by side racing. Nowadays it's more of a test track for car manufacturers to boast about who got the fastest lap. And even then that is biased because the Germans have been testing there for ever so they do know that place like the back of their hands. So if you want to measure everything up you have to get the Stig and race all the cars on there on the same day.

To me the best part about watching racing is when people can pass each other and how they fight it out thru the twisties and when they hold the pedal down and pray they don't hit someone while going thru a wall of black cloud because his pit crew told him to stay high after a colision. Now that's something to watch.

I still say the Ring doesn't hold a candle to someone racing up the peak where they can go flying over the cliff at any moment and of the Isle of Man TT where there is danger lurking in every turn.

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Side by side? Are you a nascar fan or something. Proper race tracks have one proper line. And passes have to be made in proper areas. No you will never see a set of cars going into a turn three abreast. But you will see em go two if someones trying to make a pass.

Pikes peak is a point to point race, kinda hard to LAP it.

There are other places they could replicate. IMO take a little from each and make your OWN ring... DO it original using noteable corners from around the world. Cork screw with a carousel to enter it sounds PERFECT..
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM

This is why there is RALLY racing and CIRCUIT racing.

the Ring is basically the best CIRCUIT there is. Pikes peak and a lot of those others are more RALLY stages than circuit racing.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Is this enogh racing for you?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two circuits, one is the GP loop and the other is Northern loop which nothing more than a toll road with no speed limit.

Since your arguing the fact that there are many smaller technically demanding tracks this is true, but the ability to sting together several blind turns and high speed is different but certainly not easier.

Now is there several excellent tracks in the USA that are very tough: YES
Is there alot of hype surrounding the Nordschleife: YES
Is it one of a kind: TOTALLY

I DO believe part of the hype is with the manufacturing testing that goes on there now days. But, why is this bad? If it leads to better vehicals being produced I have no problem with it.

I don't think it's the holy grail of all thing automotive, but I don't think that watching a video or playing a video game does it justice. Part of what makes the Nordschleife so special is the fact that you can just drive up, buy a ticket, and rock and roll. No waviers, no tech inspection, no bullshit. You wreck yourself you pay for the tow, you wreck someone else, your paying for it. I think its one of the few places on earth that its just pure automotive bliss.

It's these things that make the ring special, there is a forum just for Ringer's and they tell everyone on there that asking if they should make the trip, that they were all skeptics; and you really do just have to drive it to understand.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
There are two circuits, one is the GP loop and the other is Northern loop which nothing more than a toll road with no speed limit.

Since your arguing the fact that there are many smaller technically demanding tracks this is true, but the ability to sting together several blind turns and high speed is different but certainly not easier.

Now is there several excellent tracks in the USA that are very tough: YES
Is there alot of hype surrounding the Nordschleife: YES
Is it one of a kind: TOTALLY

I DO believe part of the hype is with the manufacturing testing that goes on there now days. But, why is this bad? If it leads to better vehicals being produced I have no problem with it.

I don't think it's the holy grail of all thing automotive, but I don't think that watching a video or playing a video game does it justice. Part of what makes the Nordschleife so special is the fact that you can just drive up, buy a ticket, and rock and roll. No waviers, no tech inspection, no bullshit. You wreck yourself you pay for the tow, you wreck someone else, your paying for it. I think its one of the few places on earth that its just pure automotive bliss.

It's these things that make the ring special, there is a forum just for Ringer's and they tell everyone on there that asking if they should make the trip, that they were all skeptics; and you really do just have to drive it to understand.
Need to quote this just to make sure people read it atleast ONCE.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 69TA
CTSVBiggie,

in that you can't race side by side so can anyone even
really say that the Ring is a real race track.

It's a TT track just like the Isle of Man

Also I beg to differ with you about the comlexity.

Look at two videos of people running on them both
and you will see a totally different picture as to which one
is more complex.

Again I didn't say the Ring was a bad track. Just don't see
what all the hype that everyone makes it out to be as the track of all tracks.

Again to the blanket statement guy
just have anyone who is unbiased look at the videos of Travis at Pikes Peak and one of your best of the ring (Ferrari 599, Nissan GT-R, Porsche GT-2, whatever).

When the video is done ask that person what was more impressive the Ring or TP going up Pikes Peak.

Rather yet,
post up the link of your best video you got on the Ring and
I will start a new thread with a poll just to see what people think.
I do not understand why you keep trying to argue with me. I am stating factual information, not my opinion. There simply are no tracks in America like the Nurburgring. Do we have great tracks? Absolutely. But we don't have any 13+ mile tracks with that many turns and varied surface materials. Elevation changes, blind corners, fast sweepers, LONG straightaways... That's just how it is man.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I do not understand why you keep trying to argue with me. I am stating factual information, not my opinion. There simply are no tracks in America like the Nurburgring. Do we have great tracks? Absolutely. But we don't have any 13+ mile tracks with that many turns and varied surface materials. Elevation changes, blind corners, fast sweepers, LONG straightaways... That's just how it is man.
Can't argue the facts. This list of things IS why the manufactures pick the ring to test their performance models weather the time battle is hype or not. There is no other place on earth (IMO) where a car can be confronted with so many different types or situations, that are testing different characteristics, in a short distance.

While yes slower tighter technical based tracks will test balance and turn in ability that is only one small percent of whats needed to develop a vehicle. Since the Nordschleife is such a higher speed track there is more to gained from testing there as its harder on brakes, the elevation changes are tough on suspension components. Not to mention high speed sweepers and directional changes go much further to demonstrate overall balance and turn in ability as its much harder for 3000+ pounds of rolling metal to change direction at 140 than it is at 60.

Quick Reply: Nurburgring in USA?! Replica proposed for Vegas area.