Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jmurray87
32k for a 425hp LS3 V8 is outrageous?
426hp actually.

And yes the base model Camaro SS and base model Mustang GT can be had for under $30k with some haggling and are both INCREDIBLE performance car bargains in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
its not really popular. just on here it seems.
Everywhere I post/read about cars on the internet it's full of kneejerk reactions from people who are easily swayed by other's opinions.

I can count on one hand the amount of stories I've read of people who bought one of the new muscle cars, decided they didn't like it an switched brands...because they're all nice cars, and in similar ways.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yeah I don't know about the Boss 302 motor being far superior to the LS3, but maybe.
I think they're both awesome powerplants.

And I don't think either car will DESTROY the other around a road course, it could still be a somewhat close race with the Boss having a slight advantage over the 1LE (depending STRICTLY on the type of road course that it is).

How can anyone say this???? If GM had a built/forged motor vs Ford's coated hypereutectic bottom end, and some idiot ford fanboy came on here and said that the Ford engine was better, you guys would have a meltdown....
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Where does this **** always come from?

Does anyone ever research things for themselves?

The msrp of the mustang and camaro are within ~2k of each other (like always). Even less than that if you add brembos to the gt which come standard on the SS.

The MSRP of a new SS is actually about the same deal or better as it used to be when you calculate for inflation. Especially considering a 1SS comes rather loaded as well. You cant order them stripped anymore.
I havent been able to get a camaro priced below $35k. Mustang for just over $30k I have. Plus the finding a used 5.0 for around $24k isnt that hard to do. Camaros are another story however
Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wannabess00
I havent been able to get a camaro priced below $35k. Mustang for just over $30k I have. Plus the finding a used 5.0 for around $24k isnt that hard to do. Camaros are another story however
if you're going by the numbers on the build pages, you can't. my car showed as being nearly 38k on those pages. if it cost that much, i couldn't have gotten it.

most of the used 5 liters i'm seeing that are down in the 25k range are autos with nearly 20k miles on them. manuals with low miles are still in the 30's.

he's right. the price between these two are so close, that it cannot be considered a factor.

****....i gotta come up with something bad to say about this car.......i'm sure there's a couple guys out there getting pissed off that they can't jump on my **** right now......
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I paid msrp (they didnt offer deals when they first came out) and was at 33k out the door.

Several people have reported getting them for around 30k lately on a 1SS.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I havent been able to get a camaro priced below $35k.
Right now, one should NOT have to pay more than $33,180.00 (MSRP = $32,280.00 base price plus $900.00 destination fee) for a brand new 2012 Camaro 1SS (a very well equipped car in standard 1SS trim). I have no doubts that one could work a deal to have that car for under $31k.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Im as die hard GM as it comes but ill have to say GMs really dropping the ball with the 5th gens. Styling is ok with me but the cost of a V8 is outrageous for younger buyers and too close for comfort to the price of a C6. Fords marketed a mean new 5.0 motor for a fraction of the cost Chevys wanting for a 5th gen. They shouldve offered a 5.3 option. This would at least allow for easier performance upgrading from an already huge market for these motors. And Ive already heard the 300+hp V6 argument and I still think V6s lame regardless of their numbers
i respectfully disagree as others have covered pricing is competitive between ford and chevy.

im also happen to see GM expanding a 5th gens lineup to compete in other areas as ford has done for so long.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a good thing then, means the Camaro is holding its value better then the Mustang.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

negatory on that ghost rider. they both hold their value about the same.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
negatory on that ghost rider. they both hold their value about the same.
Historically yes. But their have been articles written lately stating that the camaro is holding its value better than most all other domestic cars on the road right now. This is because it is in such high demand/so popular still I am betting. This was written about 6 months ago or so I suppose...but I bet it is still true.

A guy I know just sold his 2010 1SS M6 and got 30500 for it within like 1 week of putting it up for sale.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
How can anyone say this???? If GM had a built/forged motor vs Ford's coated hypereutectic bottom end, and some idiot ford fanboy came on here and said that the Ford engine was better, you guys would have a meltdown....
The LS3 is physically smaller and lighter than the Boss 302, all while making the same power (ok 8 peak hp difference, whoopdy do) and much more torque.
To say the Boss 302 is "better" is much too vague, and honestly wrong.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The LS3 is physically smaller and lighter than the Boss 302, all while making the same power (ok 8 peak hp difference, whoopdy do) and much more torque.
To say the Boss 302 is "better" is much too vague, and honestly wrong.
Nothing vague about this at all. The Boss V8 is a purpose built forged track engine, LS3 is, well, a LS3. You guys been living under a rock?

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 engine delivers 444 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque without the aid of forced induction
Purpose-built Boss engine is based on production 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-liter DOHC V8, heavily modified with unique, Boss-specific parts to withstand all-day thrashing. They re-engineered an entire dynamometer cell to handle the engine’s 7,500 rpm redline; put the first engines into Boss 302R race cars and sent them straight onto the track; and they designed a torture test equivalent to running the Daytona 250 race flat-out more than 175 times – in a row.

Some of the Boss-specific parts contributing to the Boss 302 V8’s output and durability include:

• Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Daytona Prototype racing engines, for high-rpm breathing
  • Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength, needed for the higher combustion pressures and engine speeds
  • New high-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
  • Lightened valvetrain components to provide excellent dynamic performance up to speeds well above the engine redline
  • Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
  • Race-specification crankshaft main and rod bearings for higher load capability and improved high-speed durability
  • 5W50 full-synthetic oil with engine oil cooler for improved oil pressure and longer-lasting lubrication during extreme racing conditions
  • Revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under racing conditions and during cornering loads greater than 1.0 g
Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice post. Very good info about the Boss engine.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kewlv8
2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 engine delivers 444 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque without the aid of forced induction
True, the Boss 302 motor is no joke.

The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS engine makes 426 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque without the aid of forced induction.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid 32 for my 1SS...20 months ago...
They can be had for the right price and that was a A6

Now I like the LS3, honestly I do NOT like the A6 even with its amazing 1st, 2nd gear
Tuning can be tricky

Honestly the Camaro SS handles better than the Mustang GT(cant compare a Boss) but most of us dont road race...we drag race and from what I've seen the GT is faster and modded its MUCH faster...I am a GM guy but the proof is there, just look at some of the times on there cars...I also think the GT really looks good, it just looks right, in the end pick the car u like but I gotta tell you I was REALLY dis-appointed with my Camaro and sold it 10 months later as did 3 of my friends who bought them and we r all GM guys...

In the end dare I say I am going to go to the darkside and jump ship in aug. I am buying a MUSTANG GT/CS, the car is fast and just looks right to me and mod for mod it cant be beat
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kewlv8
Nothing vague about this at all. The Boss V8 is a purpose built forged track engine, LS3 is, well, a LS3. You guys been living under a rock?
Cool story bro.
Still much to vague, is it better all around? No, certainly not.
The LS3 is still lighter, and smaller/more compact, and makes almost just as much power but way more torque.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

I figured more people would be excited about the 1le.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No sense in arguing over motors...the cars they're saddled in are still 50% of the equation. There isn't a damn thing wrong with the LS3, just as there isn't a damn thing wrong with the new 5.0. The only issue holding the LS3 back in the current Camaro is the chassis its trying to push around. If that platform were a bit smaller and a couple hundred pounds lighter this wouldn't even be an argument.

And as far as which car is holding value better? Well the Camaro is still the more popular car at the moment...so it's no mystery as to why used specimens are selling for more than your average used 5.0. That's great news for current 5th gen owners and GM dealers...bad news for anyone wanting to get into a new Camaro without spending more than they need to.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I figured more people would be excited about the 1le.
actually, i'm excited about ALL of the american factory hot rods.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Unveils Track-Ready Camaro 1LE