2014 Impala

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
Not liking it... at all

Still no V8, still no manual trans, and still FWD....FML

What happened to GM re-releasing the Caprice?? it was supposed to take over the Impala spot I thought, and IMO it looked WAY better!
The cars coming from Australia have been a huge disappointment in the appearance department, IMO (GTO, G8, civil serivce Caprice). Only good thing about them has been the V8/RWD configuration. This Impala looks better than those cars IMO, and better than the old Impala. If it was a V8, A6 setup with RWD, it would probably be the top contender for my next daily driver.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Totally irrelevent. Almost all foreign makers had little presence, and nearly no manufacturing capability on this continent. GM had near 60% market share. Today they are in the 20's.
It isn't relevant in terms of todays auto market, but it is relevant overall. Name recognition goes a long way on a car, particularly a car done right. You may note: I wasn't looking at it as a real comparison. It is, however, about the same as comparing the current Impala to the Toyota Avalon.

I like RWD as much as the next person, but for the vast majority of people shopping for new cars, it is not important. To some in areas with large stretched of poor weather, it is preferred. If you are building a vehicle in which some people adamantly want FWD, most others really dont care, and you want to sell a lot of cars the choice is obvious.
GM found out in the 1990's that most people actually do like RWD cars. They stopped with all but the Corvette for awhile, but there are some Caddy's and the pre-dead Pontiacs and the Camaro is back and the ATS is coming. Who really prefers FWD? People who've never had a RWD, that's who.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by It'llrun
GM found out in the 1990's that most people actually do like RWD cars. They stopped with all but the Corvette for awhile, but there are some Caddy's and the pre-dead Pontiacs and the Camaro is back and the ATS is coming. Who really prefers FWD? People who've never had a RWD, that's who.
Cadillac is competing with Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, and Mercedes. RWD is the standard in that market. This Impala is not trying to make inroads there. It is a mass market people mover.

I agree with you completely on the merits of RWD. It just is not likely to make a return in this segment.

This is much the same reason that Charger was not offered with 2 doors. Not enough people would buy it to make it commercially viable. All of us that post here, are far from your "average" car buyer. The things we value in a vehicle are not enough to drive the majority of the market.

I also stated that a RWD Chevy is coming. They just won't be expecting to sell them in the quantities of this Impala.

Quick Reply: 2014 Impala