Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - Scion FR-S lightweight RWD coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad looking cars. At 15K-17K they may be interesting. Not at 25K. The TRD /Sti nes will be around 30K. No thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After further review, I really wouldn't be interested. I can see why a younger person would be, but once I got a close up, I honestly decided I'd much rather the slower and far more appealing Miata. I think the S2000 would be a better choice, used and all. This one seems over-priced for its performance level.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Ross-
"Slow" sports cars are gay.
Well said, sir.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a turbo on it and I'll take a look. Otherwise no thanks.
I drove my brothers Focus ST a couple weekends ago. That thing is a damn riot to drive. Really enjoyed it.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Not bad looking cars. At 15K-17K they may be interesting. Not at 25K. The TRD /Sti nes will be around 30K. No thanks.
Agreed 100%. I got really excited when this car first started appearing; but back then it was either rumored that this car was going to have a 2.0 turbo inline 4 with a sticker below $20k. Had they built it like that I would own one. **** $25k for a non-turbo boxer motor with weak internals. The WRX is turbo'd with AWD for the exact same price as this car, no way I would ever take this over that.

Honestly I have to say that after this car being such a let down I'm really NOT looking forward to the new Supra. The MKIV Supra was the last Toyota car I really liked. The LFA is about twice as much as it should have been ( $150k max), and the FR-S should have been around $15k with a more basic interior, or had ~275-300hp for the $25k they are asking.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by gocartone
Agreed 100%. I got really excited when this car first started appearing; but back then it was either rumored that this car was going to have a 2.0 turbo inline 4 with a sticker below $20k. Had they built it like that I would own one. **** $25k for a non-turbo boxer motor with weak internals. The WRX is turbo'd with AWD for the exact same price as this car, no way I would ever take this over that.

Honestly I have to say that after this car being such a let down I'm really NOT looking forward to the new Supra. The MKIV Supra was the last Toyota car I really liked. The LFA is about twice as much as it should have been ( $150k max), and the FR-S should have been around $15k with a more basic interior, or had ~275-300hp for the $25k they are asking.
$15k? Seriously? And it's a completely different car than the WRX; if you would get a WRX over one, then you definitely weren't their target market. That'd be like me getting an Accord V6 6spd over an S2000 cuz the Accord has more torque...
Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't wait to find one on auction so I can rip the motor and trans out and drop an LS3 in her....
Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

What would you use to hold the rest of the car together??? It would need a quality rear right away and by the time you finish upgrading to prevent it from ripping itself apart, it would probably have gained 300-500 lb!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The return of the sports car! Thank God... It's finally returned! What a POS.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I agree....although I think a TRD/STi version might even exceed $30k for base MSRP.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You'd be surprised what you can do with a mig welder, a ford 8.8, and some 10 bolt axle tubes.

I'm just saying if I found one dirt *** cheap. JUST SAYING
Old 12-24-2012, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nick2334
these cars are perfect for an ls swap
Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I can't wait to find one on auction so I can rip the motor and trans out and drop an LS3 in her....
Someone has already beaten ya to it (LS2):

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/subaru/...-ar140170.html

Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 PM
***Repost Police***

I'm not saying an LS-powered FR-S or BRZ wouldn't be loads of fun, but to say it's not a good car because it doesn't have 400hp+ is a bit silly. The car was designed for a specific purpose, and it's not for everybody.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'm not saying an LS-powered FR-S or BRZ wouldn't be loads of fun, but to say it's not a good car because it doesn't have 400hp+ is a bit silly. The car was designed for a specific purpose, and it's not for everybody.
I think nearly everyone here agrees(including me), but it seems the car is decent at everything for 1 and only 1 reason.... a so-so engine. I'm sure the engine itself is good, but since it so terribly lacks power and torque, the car suffers greatly vs what it could be and frankly, what the "powers that be" exclaimed to the world that it would be and indeed, was. Had they used a "serious" engine, this car would be a massive hit and probably wouldn't be deemed totally over-priced by most.

They could've used a 250-300hp engine and it would have made a real difference toward improving all aspects of performance. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

Bottom line seems to be, it's a wonderful little car with a wretched drive line for the type of car it is. America may not have the autobahn, but it's not Japan either.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I think nearly everyone here agrees(including me), but it seems the car is decent at everything for 1 and only 1 reason.... a so-so engine. I'm sure the engine itself is good, but since it so terribly lacks power and torque, the car suffers greatly vs what it could be and frankly, what the "powers that be" exclaimed to the world that it would be and indeed, was. Had they used a "serious" engine, this car would be a massive hit and probably wouldn't be deemed totally over-priced by most.

They could've used a 250-300hp engine and it would have made a real difference toward improving all aspects of performance. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

Bottom line seems to be, it's a wonderful little car with a wretched drive line for the type of car it is. America may not have the autobahn, but it's not Japan either.
Looking at how well the BRZ is selling for what it is, I guess people don't feel it's overpriced.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't like boxer motors, other than that it's alright I guess.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Teching In

I think these cars look amazing on the outside but the interior looks very cheap and out-dated. I can recall reading about this car before it actually was released and I think the auto makers are making this in hopes of a strong after-market community. Out of the box it comes with enough to keep most people relatively happy, but once the after-market products start coming in with nice turbo-chargers and all of those goodies...this car will be plenty fast enough. I just wish they would upgrade the interior.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, for some reason people people just expcet a "sports car" to our run a Camry.

The Sti version will probably make poeple much happpier, but it will still be slower than a 5.0. People shouldn't expect miracles.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
Yeah, for some reason people people just expcet a "sports car" to our run a Camry.

The Sti version will probably make poeple much happpier, but it will still be slower than a 5.0. People shouldn't expect miracles.
I imagine most of the people that judge what makes a "sports car" by straight line speed also think Mustangs and F-bodies are sports cars.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

I imagine most of the people that judge what makes a "sports car" by straight line speed also think Mustangs and F-bodies are sports cars.
I own an F-body and I wouldn't call it a sports car, a muscle car yes.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - Scion FR-S lightweight RWD coupe