Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - Scion FR-S lightweight RWD coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked this car out last week, and it was a nice little car. Drivers seat was nice, but the backseats are pretty much useless. I think they were made to sit on them indian style cus they make a fbody and mustangs backseat look like SUVs.

Id probably like it if it was under 20 grand. For 25k, id rather buy something else.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Looking at how well the BRZ is selling for what it is, I guess people don't feel it's overpriced.
You base this comment on what information, the fact that BRZ sold maybe 6,000 units ALL YEAR??? Pfffft! Whatever... The Camaro, by comparison, sold more nearly EVERY month than the BRZ did all year for 2012!

People must actually think it's over-priced, by the way, because the Scion FR-S outsold the BRZ nearly 3:1 for the year. The FR-S costs less for the same car, with different badges. 3k less for the BRZ might mean 3 times the sales.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM
***Repost Police***

BRZ starts ~$200 more than the FR-S... Toyota was only expecting to sell ~10k units for the remainder of 2012, and ~20k in 2013. So if it did almost 18k in 2012, that means it's selling as fast as they can make them.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
BRZ starts ~$200 more than the FR-S... Toyota was only expecting to sell ~10k units for the remainder of 2012, and ~20k in 2013. So if it did almost 18k in 2012, that means it's selling as fast as they can make them.
The base sticker prices I read were more than $200 difference, but that doesn't even matter because the two companies have already reported what the cars are actually selling for and the BRZ is going for more than 29k while the FR-S is only over 25k.

The actual base price of the two is less than $300 difference, btw. stepping up to the automatics, the starting price seems to be more than $1,000 different.

I've seen no record indicating the 2 combined for even close to 18k, let alone the Toyota(Scion) alone... The last I read(from the web, so...)was only a bit over 13k combined.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
***Repost Police***

I was going off what you said... 6,000 for the BRZ, FR-S outsold it nearly 3:1.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

I was going off what you said... 6,000 for the BRZ, FR-S outsold it nearly 3:1.
I don't think they sold 6k... After all, they apparently sold 402 for the month of October.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Teching In

The turn rate for how long they sit on the lot is 15 days better then almost any other car out. There r people waiting six months for they're car on order subaru just can't make them fast enough
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

Subaru CAN build them fast enough... The turn ran ONLY means they are on a lot for "this" long. It has NO bearing on whether or not the cars could be built more quickly.

Advertising a turn rate and saying that's why more aren't out there(can't build 'em that fast) is just a ploy and that's all it ever was or will be when it comes to automotive ads. The idea is to get people thinking "this car is so hot you can't even find one!" In reality, you can find one right away, but it may not be THE one you really want, based on color, options, price, whatever, though it IS available.

I'm sitting in Tampa at the moment and there are 2 Subaru dealerships here... Reeves Subaru has 1 BRZ. MASTRO Subaru has FIVE! Nobody is going to make me believe this car is hard to find. I found 6 in less than 1 minute.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Teching In

I would expect it to sit in Florida the car is useless in a flat state where there is no twisty roads
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

I think these cars look great. But for the price, for me, it definitely does not offer enough. A little more power, and I think these cars can be pretty awesome, but of course, the price will also go up real quick.

Around here where I live, those that have the FRS/BRZ think they have a super fast, god-like car. I've taken two out and they provoked the race. Once beat the driver really hangs back or takes the next turn. I mean, what do they expect? It looks great, but the car's performance does not match its looks. Then there is this other guy who works with my friend who just got one and swears he can take my friend's Vette, if not in a straight line, on mountain roads. This is after he told him his suspension and engine mods. Really? Wtf?

I really like the car, but I hope the douches around here don't make me hate it. It seems those around here that buy it have a different view of what the car can do compared to what it was designed to do and its limitations.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
I think these cars look great. But for the price, for me, it definitely does not offer enough. A little more power, and I think these cars can be pretty awesome, but of course, the price will also go up real quick.

Around here where I live, those that have the FRS/BRZ think they have a super fast, god-like car. I've taken two out and they provoked the race. Once beat the driver really hangs back or takes the next turn. I mean, what do they expect? It looks great, but the car's performance does not match its looks. Then there is this other guy who works with my friend who just got one and swears he can take my friend's Vette, if not in a straight line, on mountain roads. This is after he told him his suspension and engine mods. Really? Wtf?

I really like the car, but I hope the douches around here don't make me hate it. It seems those around here that buy it have a different view of what the car can do compared to what it was designed to do and its limitations.
For what it was designed to do, there isn't anything near it's price that touches it. But it was built for a certain purpose that isn't necessarily quantitative, so most people here would argue that.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EINDIO
I would expect it to sit in Florida the car is useless in a flat state where there is no twisty roads
If you knew anything to speak of about Florida, you'd know where to find miles worth of twisty roads. In order to be really good for hilly areas, the BRZ would need the one thing it lacks most, POWER! That's why I still say Corvette is essentially incomparable for the money. You get the cute crap like the BRZ has along with real power the BRZ hasn't.

Plus, while Florida isn't a mountainous state by any means, it isn't until one goes further south than roughly, Tampa on the west side or anywhere on the far eastern side, one can't really find hills too, believe it or not.

Btw, I just found 4 more at Subaru of Glendale... CALIFORNIA... Southern, at that! $27,641(MSRP) for the least expensive, but there it sits, 2.9% financing and all. If it's a hot car and CA has all those hills people who love this car want and it's in CA, where millions of wannabe's live... Why's it still there? Why are there 4 at 1 dealership in the best place on earth??? 2 more await your arrival at Subaru of Santa Monica! One more at Subaru Sherman Oaks... That's in Van Nuys, btw. 4 more at Subaru of Ontario. Are you getting the picture yet??? This car is EASY to find, even in Californication! Personal note: I didn't leave anything in CA myself, and if I did, you guys can have it, as I have NO intention of going back to that crap-hole of a state.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

For what it was designed to do, there isn't anything near it's price that touches it. But it was built for a certain purpose that isn't necessarily quantitative, so most people here would argue that.
What does "touches it" mean, here?

If performance is the mark, I disagree with you because even a V6 Camaro can hang with that car in essentially any contest, aside from fitting in a tiny spot... The Mustang offers the same story, as does the Genesis and of course, its(BRZ) sister car, the less expensive but largely identical FR-S.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

^^^
Totally agree. In the price range this car is in, especially in CA as mentioned by another poster above, there are way better options, and it's performance is not only "touched" but seriously molested by the other options. If the car was in the low $20k's, even with it's performance, I would definitely consider it more of a bargain. But for the price and what it does...no. The main problem is the pricing where more should be expected from what you pay, at least IMO. If I'm paying $27k+ for a car, it needs to do more than just look good and feel fast and fun.

I'm thinking, the way the car is currently, the FRS/BRZ were designed to be a fun, lightweight, good handling, small car, that "feels" fast and spirited. Like a Miata, the car does not have a ton of power, but it can be fun because it small, spirited, and can handle well. The current thinking of some owners of the FRS/BRZ, and those that I have come in contact with seems to be if it feels fast, then it will demolish all. Currently, the car is not set up to actually be really fast, and when you try to explain, they don't give a ****. Maybe it has to do with the "86" emblem and that Initial D anime. Idk, but once again, these owners/people think there car is can perform in a way it is currently not designed and capable of doing.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by It'llrun
What does "touches it" mean, here?

If performance is the mark, I disagree with you because even a V6 Camaro can hang with that car in essentially any contest, aside from fitting in a tiny spot... The Mustang offers the same story, as does the Genesis and of course, its(BRZ) sister car, the less expensive but largely identical FR-S.
Like I said lol
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said lol
Performance, however, is necessarily quantitative with every vehicle ever made...

The BRZ and FR-S simply stated, fall very far short in the real world, regardless what some say on the internet. This is why price really does matter. It's no new Corvette... at any price. There's nothing really wrong with the car, except it really does lack performance. Bragging about outrunning a Miata isn't my idea of proving how capable my car is...

Besides, if I'm getting a MIATA KILLER at about the same price as a MIATA... At least make it a convertible, like the ... MIATA!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM
***Repost Police***

I understand your viewpoint, but there are lots of people out there that don't want/need a lot of power, and put the most importance on how the car feels. This car was made for them.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

I understand your viewpoint, but there are lots of people out there that don't want/need a lot of power, and put the most importance on how the car feels. This car was made for them.
Yeah... So was the Miata, which sells a boatload(from Japan) more from the looks. Moreover, the FR-S is still dominating the sister car in sales and again, it's really about price. If nothing else proves price matters, a 3:1 sales advantage probably covers it...

I just watched a video comparing the FR-S to the Hyundai Genesis 2.0T and Mazda Miata hardtop on a race track. The Miata won, Genesis took second. Only three cars in the contest. That was TTAC.

Read an article about the BRZ and FR-S, plus the Miata, Mustang V6, VW GTI, Genesis 2.0T.

Genesis, the 2nd best performer, took 6th and the Mustang, the absolute best performer(it won essentially performance category), took 4th... So the opinions there weren't AT ALL about performance, even though they called it a track test... The overall winner, according to the story, was the BRZ... It had the 2nd highest starting price AND was the overall worst performer... But let's face it, Subaru offered the most money for the pick, period!

2nd place... The FR-S, which actually out-performed the more expensive BRZ! The Mustang SMASHED this competition, literally winning, save lateral g's, every single performance contest. That's how they "roll" at Motor Trend... Best means nothing to those idiots. I say idiots because they constantly allow their "feelings" to get in the way of being subjective and real, I might add, journalists. I could write a better story based in truth and I'm no writer(by real standards, not the typical garbage from American colleges over the past 20yrs or so).
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM
***Repost Police***

A big part of buying a car is SUBJECTIVE. And depending on what they were looking for in that test, their SUBJECTIVE view of the car would cause it to win.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - Scion FR-S lightweight RWD coupe